General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

20 minutes ago, COB said:

What a great pickup.  Leadership qualities have at times been sorely lacking on our defense.  

Agreed.  This was the type of signing that populated the first years of Marvin and then the reboot under Zimmer.    A guy drafted in the top 150, plenty of starts etc.  

Not intending to compare players but Cris Crocker comes to mind.   He was nothing spectacular but the unit as a whole responded whenever they retained him. 

This has been my point with the coaching staff.   I don't know if they are good or bad.  I just know that the first year the front office strategy was to saddle them with Marvin guys on the basis of a 4-1 start in 2018 and knocking the Ravens out of the playoff in 2017 and excusing the downfall of 2018 on injuries.

After Finley fetched a valuable pick swap, nothing should surprise me, but there perhaps being a market for a 29-year-old Gio carrying the contract he does has absolutely caught me off guard. 

I would need more than pick swap.   Something of significance.   1. Zac seems to know how to get production out of Gio with another back.   2.  He's good in pass pro.

Unless they are completely in need of the cap room to add a contributor OR get a good return, I'd more in favor of keeping Gio.

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Not intending to compare players but Cris Crocker comes to mind.  

Cris Crocker, who on November 20th, 2008, knocked Santonio Holmes into the shadow realm, then stared down the Steelers' sideline?  All in retaliation for the cheap shot 5 weeks earlier that Hines Ward laid on Rivers, breaking his jaw?  That Cris Crocker?  The guy who finally stood up to the Steelers bullying and said "enough"?  Yea, I've heard of him.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, COB said:

Cris Crocker, who on November 20th, 2008, knocked Santonio Holmes into the shadow realm, then stared down the Steelers' sideline?  All in retaliation for the cheap shot 5 weeks earlier that Hines Ward laid on Rivers, breaking his jaw?  That Cris Crocker?  The guy who finally stood up to the Steelers bullying and said "enough"?  Yea, I've heard of him.  

He knocked the shit out of Holmes.   

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I would need more than pick swap.   Something of significance.   1. Zac seems to know how to get production out of Gio with another back.   2.  He's good in pass pro.

Unless they are completely in need of the cap room to add a contributor OR get a good return, I'd more in favor of keeping Gio.

Much more than a swap, that’s for sure. Gio’s 771 combined yards were his most since 2017 and his 6 TDS were the most since 2014, his second year. And he caught a career-high 79.7% of balls thrown his way. I’m in no rush to see him leave.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Much more than a swap, that’s for sure. Gio’s 771 combined yards were his most since 2017 and his 6 TDS were the most since 2014, his second year. And he caught a career-high 79.7% of balls thrown his way. I’m in no rush to see him leave.

He’s excellent in the role they ask of him, to be able to spell Mixon when needed or tote the note in his absence.  Works for me. 

• Like 1

If you want someone who will be in demand, you make a trade rather than waiting. That's how Hudson and Jackson changed teams before being cut. Ryan Finley too, for that matter. They want him? Trade for him before 1:00 tomorrow. 

Yea please keep Gio, nobody has ran harder for this team then him, and has been better then Mixon. Not to mention is and has been the biggest team leader here since Whit left, and also stuck up for Taylor when everybody wanted him gone. Find a way to extend him at another price, he needs to stay.

• Like 1

You can't tell whether this is a positive or a negative until you find out both what they get for Gio and what they do with the freed up cap space.  If trading Good gets us Larry Warford or Kerrigan and an extra mid round pick I am all for it.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You can't tell whether this is a positive or a negative until you find out both what they get for Gio and what they do with the freed up cap space.  If trading Good gets us Larry Warford or Kerrigan and an extra mid round pick I am all for it.

unless one's name rhymes with Beff Kobson, no cuts are needed to sign Kerrigan or Warford...or both