General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

It is infuriating. And I want to say he's talking out of his ass but he mostly nailed ahead of time that they would hammer the defense in FA and rely on Pollack to coach up the line. That's pretty much been their approach . At least they got Reiff thank god. But hard not to read him and assume they are done until the draft.

They flat out shit the bed when it comes to IOL

I like Spain, but he's a quality backup, not a starter

Now if they trade down and get Vera-Tucker - or they get a Leatherwood (arms measured 35" at pro day) at 38 - and he comes in as the starting RG and Spain backs him up, thats fine

-----

While I quite firmly remain a tradedown guy, I am starting to gravitate to Chase 1a Pitts 1b at 5 because of the OL quality at 38. 

But in that scenario, I need

r2: a player I project as my starting ORG in 2021 but also starting ORT in 2022.  Mentored by Reiff in 2021.  I like Jenkins, Leatherwood, and maybe even Cosmi here

r3: a player I can potentially start at either OC or OG in 2021, with the intent to eventually take over for Hopkins  I like Creed a LOT at this pick. If not Creed at r3, Meinerz in r4  

Yes, I need two OL on day 2 in this scenario. 

r4/5: Pass rushing DL and a pass rushing DE.  

So 4 linemen in a row.  yeah, GIMME A LINEMAN!!!!

and yeah, I am drafting for need.  I understand the concept of BPA, but the Bengals have too fucking many needs to afford such a luxury. 

There will be players that line up close to the BPA line in those rounds that also meet Bengal needs

Meinerz is starting to get second round steam coming off the Senior Bowl performance but someone good is dropping to us in the third, just too many good lineman.

I would like (if we go Chase or Pitts at 5) to go IOL at 38 and then whatever tackle drops to us in the third....though a tackle at 38 can be our RG for this year particularly if it is someone like Radunz who has Guard flexibility

• Like 1

Here's what is SUPER annoying. They've got the money - they were outbid by just a bit on Rankins on Sunday at DT. Which means I go back to them getting outbid for what was a reasonable contract that Zeitler took in Baltimore. If they've got Zeitler at RG to go with Reiff at RT - that was what the doctor ordered. They keep missing on shit like this. So close, so far. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

They flat out shit the bed when it comes to IOL

I like Spain, but he's a quality backup, not a starter

Now if they trade down and get Vera-Tucker - or they get a Leatherwood (arms measured 35" at pro day) at 38 - and he comes in as the starting RG and Spain backs him up, thats fine

-----

While I quite firmly remain a tradedown guy, I am starting to gravitate to Chase 1a Pitts 1b at 5 because of the OL quality at 38. 

But in that scenario, I need

r2: a player I project as my starting ORG in 2021 but also starting ORT in 2022.  Mentored by Reiff in 2021.  I like Jenkins, Leatherwood, and maybe even Cosmi here

r3: a player I can potentially start at either OC or OG in 2021, with the intent to eventually take over for Hopkins  I like Creed a LOT at this pick. If not Creed at r3, Meinerz in r4  

Yes, I need two OL on day 2 in this scenario. 

r4/5: Pass rushing DL and a pass rushing DE.  

So 4 linemen in a row.  yeah, GIMME A LINEMAN!!!!

and yeah, I am drafting for need.  I understand the concept of BPA, but the Bengals have too fucking many needs to afford such a luxury. 

There will be players that line up close to the BPA line in those rounds that also meet Bengal needs

Btw, TJ I am totally on board with 2nd and 3rd rounders being olinemen.   I like Dickerson in r. 2 and Hudson in rd 3 personally.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Take that money, find Larry Warford on whatever beach he is hanging out at and give it to him.

apparently he is hanging out at an athletic training facility called ABX Performance in New Orleans

this is encouraging as it at least suggests he wants to return to athletic activity......one would guess this would mean the NFL

--------

On the other matter......I think we kinda want the same end result - I just want the tackle who can play guard first and you want the center who can play guard first.  sorry to say, but.....I am like the Bengals (heavy sigh) in that I do value OTs over OGs and OCs

they'll really need to come out of this draft with a passrushing DT and a passrushing DE (possibly two of these) as well

Kerrigan's a four-time Pro Bowler, has three seasons with 13+ sacks, and has five seasons graded at 70+ by PFF (since 2011). That's at least a Carlos Dunlap-comparable resume, and he might come decently cheap this late in the game.

Do it. I'd like a guard, but if you won't give me that then do it.

51 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Kerrigan's a four-time Pro Bowler, has three seasons with 13+ sacks, and has five seasons graded at 70+ by PFF (since 2011). That's at least a Carlos Dunlap-comparable resume, and he might come decently cheap this late in the game.

Do it. I'd like a guard, but if you won't give me that then do it.

They’re clearly prioritizing defense in FA. Which makes some sense given how strong the OL class is this year.

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

I, for one, do not want them avoiding signing a FA in wave 2 at this point to preserve a comp pick next year. That would piss me off. 

Same. More concerning to me is that his sack totals have gone from double digits in 2016-18 to 5.5 in each of the last two seasons, and he’ll be 33 in August. I still suspect he could contribute, especially on a rotational basis, but I’m not inclined to break the bank here.

• Like 1

Also his lack of productivity I believe has more to do with a limited role in Wash. than a true decline.  The state of their dline dictates that he is a situational/role type player.  I see a guy who has 2-3 more good years in the tank and can be a good mentor to Hendrickson and Hubbard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Also his lack of productivity I believe has more to do with a limited role in Wash. than a true decline.  The state of their dline dictates that he is a situational/role type player.  I see a guy who has 2-3 more good years in the tank and can be a good mentor to Hendrickson and Hubbard.

Same. You are living in my head this draft/FA season.