General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

8 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

so can we make jokes about whether that was more of a pain in the ass than I am, stuff like that?   or is it too soon?

Not too soon!

Also, HOW IN THE HELL? REALLY? I MEAN -- GREAT FUCKING JOB DUKE TOBIN...

holy crap, this is incredible

I mean, even if we get a r7 pick in 2023, thats a HELLUVALOT better than nothing

another possibility I've seen a lot of is pick upgrades, ie lets say the Bengals also give one of their two r7 picks to the Texans along with Finley but also receive the Texans r6 pick. 

That too is far far far better than nothing

Slater best projects to LG, the issue is that he is 6'3" with short arms (32") and the lack of ability to keep defenders away from his body will show up in the NFL.  His technique is almost flawless, he is a smart and dedicated football player with great feet and movement abilities so all of those things are a a massive positive and he had no issues with Big Ten Defenders but Big Ten defenders, even great ones like Chase Young, are not NFL defenders.  NFL Defenders have age, strength, and experience on their side and if you have a weakness it will be exploited.  I do think he is the second best OLineman in this draft but uncertainty around his position fit makes him not a slam dunk and you need a slam dunk at #5.  He has played two years of Big Ten football with 795 snaps coming at LT in 2019 and 1057 snaps at RT in 2019.  No snaps at any non tackle position.

Slater was a three star recruit coming out of HS and his dad Reggie Slater did 8 season in the NBA.  Slater was also a prep discus and shotputer. Too bad he did not get his dad's height or this would be a non issue (dad is 6'7")

Just now, TJJackson said:

or a pick upgrade

either way, better than nothing, which is what a release gets us

I will bet it’s ultimately nothing. I’d guess it’s a conditional pick based on playing time. Still good to take the shot tho.

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

I will bet it’s ultimately nothing. I’d guess it’s a conditional pick based on playing time. Still good to take the shot tho.

Even if it is for a box of used jocks its more than they got for Andy/AJ/Geno...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

This might be Duke Tobin's finest hour. Part of me feels like I am still sedated and having a weird out of body experience and hallucinations. A pick for Ryan Finley? 

Maybe but it’s the results of having shitty draft picks.

Still need a couple more FA signings

Texans: "Hey Texans fans, we got you the replacement for Deshaun Watson!"

Texans:  "err, uhm, uhh.....I meant camp competition for Deshaun Watson.  Yeah.  Competitition."

Texans: "This guy"

gettyimages-1169674534.jpg

Texans: "Yeah!"

Fan: "I hear he never has to pay for his beer in Cincinnati, he must be a legend there"

Texans: "who's up for season tickets?  form a neat and orderly line, please"

Fan: "Me first!  Me Me Me!"

On 2/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, AMPHAR said:

Lineman appear to be deeper in Free Agency this year.   It also seems like a deep draft class too.    Although they had the fluff pieces about their young OL prospects.

I would love the likes of Johnson, Williams, Price and Jordan to be the foundation of an emerging line.   But I can't trust it.  The past three years Training Camp opens and shortly after we are treated with reports of the o-line being dominated.  

So it will be interesting to see what they do there.    I'm guessing nothing.

Defense - is an enigma.    You have big names on the D-line.  IMO, they rush the passer good.   They play the run like shit.     Then you have bad LBs.  

I just think the part of the defense that's responsible for clogging lanes, pursuit, underneath coverage, and tackling isn't worth a shit.   When you factor in substitutions etc. there's probably 6/7 players that could go from each level of the defense.   There's not an impact player in that aspect.    Sure if you want to get after a QB or shorten throwing windows on the outside, I think they have players that excel at that. 

They got gashed badly by Lamar Jackson and several other RBs.   D-line wasn't getting off blocks and/or clogging lanes.   There was no pursuit and when they did get there the guy withstood several tacking attempts.   It was ugly.

That is a big reason they went and got Awuzie and Hilton.  Both are supposed to be good tacklers with attitude 

32 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Slater best projects to LG, the issue is that he is 6'3" with short arms (32") and the lack of ability to keep defenders away from his body will show up in the NFL.  His technique is almost flawless, he is a smart and dedicated football player with great feet and movement abilities so all of those things are a a massive positive and he had no issues with Big Ten Defenders but Big Ten defenders, even great ones like Chase Young, are not NFL defenders.  NFL Defenders have age, strength, and experience on their side and if you have a weakness it will be exploited.  I do think he is the second best OLineman in this draft but uncertainty around his position fit makes him not a slam dunk and you need a slam dunk at #5.  He has played two years of Big Ten football with 795 snaps coming at LT in 2019 and 1057 snaps at RT in 2019.  No snaps at any non tackle position.

Slater was a three star recruit coming out of HS and his dad Reggie Slater did 8 season in the NBA.  Slater was also a prep discus and shotputer. Too bad he did not get his dad's height or this would be a non issue (dad is 6'7")

Let me say this

Plenty of short armed college tackles have transitioned successfully to the NFL as OGs.  I would have no issue with Slater being seen as a Guard with us

That said, the position of need is ORG.....why do you see OLG as more befitting him?

all of that aside he can play (and has a lot of experience at) both OT spots.  I see that as a big plus

I dont think there will be any problem with him getting a spot on the OL and being a high quality pass protector for New Guy.....no matter which spot he ultimately takes

I like Sewell better as a long term OL, but if we have to plug in a rookie due to injury this year, I'd rather have Slater in there....even at OT

The Bengals should not draft Slater at 5 IF they see him as guard.  Why?

They won’t pay him after rookie year.

They should draft him as a tackle that high because they’ve shown over and over they don’t value 2nd and beyond contract guards.

Price’s 5th year option is 10.5m.  So of course they don’t pay that. But they won’t pay that for a pro bowl interior OL either. 

15 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Let me say this

Plenty of short armed college tackles have transitioned successfully to the NFL as OGs.  I would have no issue with Slater being seen as a Guard with us

That said, the position of need is ORG.....why do you see OLG as more befitting him?

all of that aside he can play (and has a lot of experience at) both OT spots.  I see that as a big plus

I dont think there will be any problem with him getting a spot on the OL and being a high quality pass protector for New Guy.....no matter which spot he ultimately takes

I like Sewell better as a long term OL, but if we have to plug in a rookie due to injury this year, I'd rather have Slater in there....even at OT

Slater is not a power player, he is more about finesse, technique, and movement.  Traditionally, you need guys with more sand in their butts to man the RG position.

BTW, this is why I am high on Landon Dickerson, he is a plug in RG, total mauler, student of the game,  kinda like a poor man's Quentin Nelson.  I want Dickerson in Rd. 2 and Hudson from UC (or Carmen, Jenkins, Mayfield, or Eichenberg) in Rd. 3.  One of those top tier tackles will drop to us in rd. 3.  Take IOL in Rd. 2 (Wyatt Davis is also a possibility) and get your OT at the top of Rd. 3.