General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Warford took 2020 off for COVID and honestly....I think folks have just forgot about him.

2019 numbers:

image.png.3406ef786bb1aef1e95ee386d71afef8.png

His 2019 grade was 73.5 per pff which would be far and away the highest graded olineman on the Bengals. (Reiff closest at 71.4)

Good to hear he was a career ORG.  that helps

If I am running the show, I am bringing him in for a looksee by Pollack. 

If I am his agent, I am begging the Bengals to take a visit, with or without a nice steak dinner.

Makes sense, particularly if we need the money to sign some random WR.....I will not jinx this by mentioning the name.

BTW....if we DO sign some Ronin WR I think #5 is Kyle Pitts.

A lineup of Wandering Bard - Tee Higgins - Tyler Boyd in the slot with Mixon at HB and Kyle Pitts at TE with Joe Burrow pulling the strings would be nigh unstoppable.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Nah....

Jonah - XSF - Hopkins - Warford - Reiff  > Jonah - XSF - Hopkins - Turner - Reiff

there are questions on both Turner and Warford

starting with why the other 31 teams are not seemingly talking with them, which will then lead to other questions

that said, I see no harm whatsoever in flying them both in and having Pollack run them through their drills to see what they have to offer.

If conditioning/weight is an issue with either, sign a vet min contract plus tons of playing time incentives such that at the end of camp if they arent ready, the cost upon cutting them is zero

Just now, Wraith said:

Makes sense, particularly if we need the money to sign some random WR.....I will not jinx this by mentioning the name.

BTW....if we DO sign some Ronin WR I think #5 is Kyle Pitts.

A lineup of Wandering Bard - Tee Higgins - Tyler Boyd in the slot with Mixon at HB and Kyle Pitts at TE with Joe Burrow pulling the strings would be nigh unstoppable.

I think they still need OL, Wraith, because Reiff and any other free agent we bring in (if any) is just a bridge for a few years.  we need good protection for New Guy longterm

For me, pick 5 has to be one of Sewell, Slater, or Trade Down (but still within the top 10, optimally).  I still prefer Trade Down.  Slater (for plug-n-play) second, Sewell third.

6 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

there are questions on both Turner and Warford

starting with why the other 31 teams are not seemingly talking with them, which will then lead to other questions

that said, I see no harm whatsoever in flying them both in and having Pollack run them through their drills to see what they have to offer.

If conditioning/weight is an issue with either, sign a vet min contract plus tons of playing time incentives such that at the end of camp if they arent ready, the cost upon cutting them is zero

The reason for Turner is pretty simple.

Overall 2020 grade was 34.8 with a run blocking grade of 29.8...I mean YUCK.  Warford I just don't get AT ALL.....I have looked everywhere for some news about him and nothing, he does not show up on the Free Agent list anywhere nor has he declared he is retired.  The Saints cut him last year to save cap dollars and he was a hot commodity  before calling himself out for COVID, I just don't get it.  and I was wrong, he was born in July of 1991 which means he is even younger than I thought.

Just now, TJJackson said:

I think they still need OL, Wraith, because Reiff and any other free agent we bring in (if any) is just a bridge for a few years.  we need good protection for New Guy longterm

For me, pick 5 has to be one of Sewell, Slater, or Trade Down (but still within the top 10, optimally).  I still prefer Trade Down.  Slater (for plug-n-play) second, Sewell third.

Get a high quality guy in Rd. 2 and in Rd. 3...if Sewell is there, fine.  Slater is not worth a #5 pick IMHO.  He is a man without a defined position and projects best at a position he has never played.  Just a hard pass from me when there is better talent on the board.

• Like 1

I know Turner was hurt, and as such, I figure NFL teams know that as well

the question might be "how is your health now?"

I care far less about his 2020 health than his 2021 health :-)

I DO also want an OL in r2/3.....a creed humphries, perhaps.  I just dont want that guy starting in 2021.....but he's there if injury forces it

Need to maintain a quality OLine for the next ten years or so

Thank you Bengals' for 2 off-seasons in a row of showing "effort" in FA and actually signing quality vets.

Reiff gives them some flexibility - but now that they've released Hart, not sure what they're thinking on the interior.  Either sign Spain (if they haven't) or find someone I guess, you can't go into 2021 with Jordan/Hopkins/Redmond/Sua/Price again - just complete garbage.  No point in having good OT's if they're just going to be over-shadowed by what is probably the weakest interior o-line in the NFL by far.  Sure let's see if Pollack can do anything with Jordan and Price, but to count on them as starters is assinine at this point.  They have to find a starting OG - at least one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Slater is not worth a #5 pick IMHO.  He is a man without a defined position and projects best at a position he has never played

Can you tell me two things

1.  what position are you saying Slater best projects to?

2. do you have the data on how many snaps in each year he took at each position he has played?  You seem to have that data, like what you did with Warford earlier.  I'd like to see it for Slater.  Please separate it by years if you can

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Please understand that for me, Slater is still a top 10 to 15 pick, and he's the more ready to play now of the two

I project him as any interior line spot, personally, though I believe he could play tackle I'd rather not have him there

Best case scenario for me is trade down within top 10, get Slater plus more much-needed picks

The Reiff signing makes me wonder if they're not even considering another OT at #5 now - they're already paying 2 of them top dollar relatively speaking, MB isn't going to be paying a 3rd top 5 draft pick money I'm guessing.

I'm thinking more WR/DE/LB there now.  But, hope I'm wrong because I'm f'ing sick of watching this o-line suck every year.  throw everything at it you got - one of the toughest position groups in the NFL to build these days - and those who do it right, win a lot.

17 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Please understand that for me, Slater is still a top 10 to 15 pick, and he's the more ready to play now of the two

I project him as any interior line spot, personally, though I believe he could play tackle I'd rather not have him there

Best case scenario for me is trade down within top 10, get Slater plus more much-needed picks

I would be fine taking slater at 10 to 12....let me make my case for Kyle Pitts. (and maybe this should be more in the draft thread but I digress)

In 2020 playing 278 passing snaps he was targeted 65 times with 43 receptions, 12 TDs, NO DROPPED PASSES, and 17.9 yards per reception....AT TE

His PFF Receiving Grade was 96.2 which not only the best receiving grade ever given by PFF to a college TE but also the best receiving grade by any receiver in this draft which is a historically good WR draft.  You throw that dude in with Burrow and you have lightning.  Just out of this world potential.

BTW for Sewell being ready to play, nobody has seen him in pads since he was 19 years old, nobody knows how good Sewell is right now after taking a year to perfect his technique.  The fact that he was dominant as a 19 year old speaks volumes though.

Steakhouse: We don't know the terms afaik on Reiff

as an older player it might not be all that much, or for very long

as of right now, we need to plug a Slater or Sewell in at ORG *shrug*

in any case, I look at OL at pick 5 being building for New Guys future, not so much 2021.....though right now, as things stand, Sewell or Slater would probably play in 202

Wraith:  Burrow cant complete passes on his back or from a hospital bed. 

I still believe we need 2 OL from Day 1 and 2 to help ensure he is protected in the future, for the next 10 years or so

I do like Pitts.  I really do.  No need to sell him to me.  But OL comes before the bright and shiny toys, imo.

Would love to see more Weapons for Burrow, keeping him upright for just a few more seconds, and more weapons will be awesome!!

Not hearing much about Golladay but seems the Ravens want in and Giants are not letting him leave. To bad he would have been a great addition, but I’m not even seeing the bengals mentioned in anyone’s tweets anymore.

I agree with all of the following, but

another tweeter (twitter-er?) said that Ryan Finley should never ever have to pay for his own beers in this town ever again solely for the victory over the Steelers in a time period when we just never could beat them, no matter how much talent we had

I agree. 

He should be remembered fondly for this one game

Great news on Reiff.  

And by far for me the highlight of this whole thing is seeing our young and new players rally around their QB, actively working to recruit free agents to come here.  I credit Zac for the culture change.  Marvin could never have created this type of culture.  

Some details on Golliday bubbling up here and there. Apparently he is looking for a multi year deal averaging $18.5 million. Ravens are also in the running with the Giants but aren’t sure they have the cap space. Bears offered him a one year deal in the $11-12 million range, which I suspect is around where the Bengals are. That we don’t have a signing yet suggests he’s having a hard time reaching that 18.5 this year and a one year deal might be a better option. We’ll see.

Also, the Reiff news broke as I was waiting to be taken back for my colonoscopy (age 50, sigh) and I made it back from anesthesia so this has been a double good day. At least my last thoughts before drifting off were happy ones...

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Slater is not worth a #5 pick IMHO.  He is a man without a defined position and projects best at a position he has never played

Can you tell me two things

1.  what position are you saying Slater best projects to?

2. do you have the data on how many snaps in each year he took at each position he has played?  You seem to have that data, like what you did with Warford earlier.  I'd like to see it for Slater.  Please separate it by years if you can

I should note here that ultimately, I am happy with any of Sewell, Slater, or a tradedown where the new r1 pick is also a OL....perhaps Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker.....heck, Sewell or Slater could potentially slip down as well

sorry for the repeated post, everyone