General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

I went and opened Amphar's statement because you quoted it, and yeah, its just as ignorant as his stuff usually is

Mem has already clarified that the Chase dream is over....that the FA results say it has to be Sewell now. 

I've argued in favor of Slater over Sewell also due to the results of FA.....but bottom line, both of us are now firmly saying OL needs to be the draft priority now with pick 5

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Reiff is still in play, correct?

Yes, he is still in play

The very latest news is that he is in town right now on his visit, and the twitter tag Cincy fans are using to cheerlead this is #GREAT_BARRIER_REIFF

There was a fake report that he had been signed

I worry that his experience is almost all on the left side, and of course his age, but frankly, I am glad we've had any demonstrated action on the OL front at all at this point

I’m afraid my morose musings misled Wraith.  I was just contemplating how completely we’ve whiffed on rebuilding our line.

Draft picks are great but linemen take years to develop, it’s not like a position like running back where a rookie can be pretty good right away.  Plus the leadership, example, professional, of a good vet is very much needed.

Can you imagine....the Bengals dline coach on the sideline having some intern keeping track of Larry's snaps

"kid, when he's had 19 snaps, let me know right away!!!!.....then when he's had 24 snaps, let me know right away!!!!!!"

"sir, I forgot to tell you....he's at 20 snaps now"

"kid, you just cost us 100 thousand dollars.  Your ass is fired."

• Like 1

Fat Randy gets to kick indoors, perfect for him.  I’m still pissed about Marvin cutting a rookie we drafted because Randy looked better in camp.

Randy’s a grizzled fat ass who’s been through it.  The kid is at his first training camp, of course he was nervous.  So Marvin as usual falls in love with the veteran, to our detriment.  The kid goes to the Eagles and wins a Super Bowl.  Randy goes to Detroit.

• Like 1

I liked Erickson a lot when he was first making a name for himself. He became a bit of a fumbler though. He might do well in Houston, but I don't think his departure is a big deal. Even without FA and the draft accounted for, Boyd-Higgins-Tate-Thomas isn't a bad start.

Trey Hendrickson on GMFB right now - will try and note some highlights:

Nate Burlson/Shrager/Brandt/Kay Adams all doing the interview (w/ a Burrow jersey behind Burlson).

Why Cincinnati? --- Thanks for Browns/Blackburns - likes that it is a family organization.

How to build on last year? Break-out season is a tough word, was a product of hard work.
iYou were in NO - how big is Burrow there? "For awhile his LSU jersey somehow eclipsed Drew Brees. Wants to do everything he can to get the ball back to Burrow as fast as possible.

What was it like being on the Saints D? Every day had to prove myself, made me better. But as far as the future, the logo behind me "Bengals logos" is pretty great (big smile) (he seems REALLY happy to be a Bengal)

Question about his marriage (a year old now): She's an athlete, a fencer and a skater - very competitive person - they have fun playing ping pong etc.

Thus endeth the interview.

• Thanks 1

Certainly looking good for Reiff, does anyone know if he’s scheduled to go elsewhere today?  

Going out to dinner with the head coach and the franchise quarterback, as Reiff did last night, certainly seems like something one would do right before signing with the team.  It doesn’t seem like something one would do if using the Bengals as leverage (which, let’s face it, does happen to us).  

Finally, let’s focus group the nickname “Reiffer.”