General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 10/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

This situation is ridiculous.  One of the all-time franchise sack leaders and few talented DE's left, and they play these games with him.  He deserves better.  That they have Hunt ahead of him is stupid.  These coaches suck so hard.

Not really in my eyes.   The D-line has been a tremendous problem against the run for many seasons.    Dunlap is very much apart of that.    Apparently the Colts were able to block him in the run game with a hybrid WR/TE.    That's why he can't get consistent snaps from this coaching staff.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Not really in my eyes.   The D-line has been a tremendous problem against the run for many seasons.    Dunlap is very much apart of that.    Apparently the Colts were able to block him in the run game with a hybrid WR/TE.    That's why he can't get consistent snaps from this coaching staff.

I get it - he used to be better, I just don't see where they have a better option still though.  They are really missing Hubbard and Reader badly, just no depth.  I guess my concern is the coaches' inability to work through this situation with him, without him getting so upset after all these years.  There just doesn't seem to be a good relationship with some of these players going on, and that's concerning.

Panthers released Eli Apple, one of the more disappointing top draft picks of recent years.  Wonder if they'll kick tires on him at this point, maybe getting him and Bell together again does something, I dont know, they got nothing back there other than Bates and Alexander in coverage, literally.  Phillips is proving to be a lower caliber CB who should be strictly depth and ST's, where he has some value I think.

I think this was a very good trade overall

I love love love Carlos - huge fan of him and I hope he helps the Seahawks deep into the playoffs -- he was fantastic for us, but this game is all about :what have you done for me lately.....and those stats dont look pretty this year.

That, and

• his pricetag this year
  • his pricetag next year
  • his age
  • he was becoming a cancer in the locker room

makes it a great time to trade him if they can ...or... release him if they cant

so I look at this trade as "hey, we did get something rather than nothing' and also we lowered our payroll substantially which creates cap room for rewarding/resigning younger and more productive players

we can use the extra 7th rounder to pick up a good K or P, or perhaps a lineman with great physical attributes but limited experience to groom

the OG we got in the trade is younger , and has has some very good years, albeit not recently.. That said, his PFF scores are about 10 points higher than they guys we have plugged in there right now....its not much but I'll take it.....babysteps to get the OL to "average".  I also think a change of scenery might push his buttons and get him back to starter status.   If I had good money to bet with i'd bet he will be a starter at one of the 2 OG positions when we exit the break

Bottom line is I expected him to be released and ergo get nothing, and instead, we got cap relief plus a draft pick plus a solid O Lineman. 

as always -- GIMME A LINEMAN!!!!!

18 hours ago, COB said:

We could be in a great position to attract a top level DC.  With this quarterback, and this offense showing some real potential, the DC job is suddenly attractive.  Imagine Wade Phillips or Zim (should Minny lose hold of their senses and fire him).  

If Zim leaves the Vikings. Then comes here Head coach is the only coaching position he should be offered. 

18 hours ago, membengal said:

It's true guys, that's some savvy posting. Burrow definitely profiles as the kind of guy that ducks challenges and quits. Great insight.

Yet no one expected that from Palmer yet he did it. Its not about ducking anything. Its about playing for a team that does not do what it takes to win.  Seems to not care if they win. A team that under pays. Cuts corners and is down right cheap. I mean the wouldn't even pay for a first class ticket for Tony Saragusa or how ever you spell his name. To come for a visit. Losing gets old real quick. Honestly name a team. That has had as many or more players demand to be traded? I don't think you can name one. 

20 minutes ago, cincy9275 said:

Yet no one expected that from Palmer yet he did it. Its not about ducking anything. Its about playing for a team that does not do what it takes to win.  Seems to not care if they win. A team that under pays. Cuts corners and is down right cheap. I mean the wouldn't even pay for a first class ticket for Tony Saragusa or how ever you spell his name. To come for a visit. Losing gets old real quick. Honestly name a team. That has had as many or more players demand to be traded? I don't think you can name one. 

The Jets. The Steelers. The Patriots. The Lions have had two players RETIRE from hall of fame careers rather than keep playing. Etc. Etc. It comes with the territory for every team.  I know it is fun for some of you to self-flaggelate but come the fuck on. Sack the fuck up. 

Yep. The Steelers, for all of their supposed organizational stability and model operation, just had a full-on and very public meltdown that saw two all-pro caliber players bail at the same time (Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell). Regardless of where it happens, some players have really taken to the strategy of using public social media to cause controversy and eventually get their way. It's an annoying development, but in the end I don't really care.

Dunlap pushing his way out of Cincinnati doesn't make me *more* upset at the Bengals organization. He was playing like shit anyway. I'll see how they respond to it and what the defense does in his absence before I try to determine how much of a point Dunlap really had.

Meanwhile it's a relief Geno, despite being obviously displeased in his own right, is handling this with so much more grace. It would be unfortunate for the best defender in the history of the franchise to make his departure the way Dunlap just did. Even if he gets traded too, which I'd support, the sour taste won't be there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, membengal said:

The Jets. The Steelers. The Patriots. The Lions have had two players RETIRE from hall of fame careers rather than keep playing. Etc. Etc. It comes with the territory for every team.  I know it is fun for some of you to self-flaggelate but come the fuck on. Sack the fuck up. 

none of the teams you mentioned have had nearly the player turnover as the bengals. Good try though. Sack up? Lmao how about come to reality.  Zac is a damn joke. We will see what happens if the Bengals keep him.  You have Jackson Bates and lawson all set to be free agents. Lets see who returns. If Zac stays on. Look at the list of players now that are not happy with these coaches. 5 at least less Dunlap after he got out. 

• Like 1

Sack the fuck up and stop moving the goalposts. EVERY team has player turnover. What the fuck ever. I am so tired so self-loathing bengals fans who want to pretend that shit only happens here. 

The only players bitching about ZT (ALLEGEDLY) are all marvin holdovers. That a new staff moves on from holdover players happens only (checks notes) EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. 

Just, good lord. 

Speaking of Marvin holdovers, I think there’s a decent chance Marvin will be coaching the Jets next year.  Also, there’s a decent chance we are turning into the Jets.  Burrow is the difference in that, he can push this team and this ownership in the other direction.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, membengal said:

Sack the fuck up and stop moving the goalposts. EVERY team has player turnover. What the fuck ever. I am so tired so self-loathing bengals fans who want to pretend that shit only happens here. 

The only players bitching about ZT (ALLEGEDLY) are all marvin holdovers. That a new staff moves on from holdover players happens only (checks notes) EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. 

Just, good lord. 

C'mon now, denying there isn't a consistent history of unhappy franchise/star players forcing the Bengals' hand since the 90's is just wrong.  It happens here more than anywhere else, I'm willing to bet some good $$ on that.

As for this season and Dunlap - the treatment at least seems to be coming from the coaching staff vs ownership any ways, so I get that, but it's a trend with franchise greats here and it's sad really.  I'm not sure why you get so upset over this stuff, just let it go.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Aaand here we go...

So they aren't going to get anything for him, and Im not sure anyone wants to pay him what he's still making (as far as I can gather).   I would think Taylor would just assume get rid of another attitude problem in the locker room, and continue on with his guys.

• Like 1