New CBA Near? UPDATE New Deal Done

HoosierCat

Some interesting stuff here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28619220/sources-nflpa-vote-17-game-season-new-cba

It more or less boils down to the owners giving up a surprisingly large chunk of the farm in return for the players agreeing to a 17th regular season game and a playoff expansion.

According to sources, some of the highlights of the CBA proposal:

• The NFL will have an option to establish a 17-game regular season that would not kick in until at least the 2021 season, with the option tied to new revenues in pending TV and media contracts.

• If there is an agreement in place before the new league year in March, the new deal would take effect immediately for the 2020 season, bumping up the players' share of revenues immediately under a 16-game format.

• The players will receive an annual fixed share in the 48 percent range of an anticipated larger revenue pool and also greater spending minimums for clubs.

• The 2020 season also would likely include an extra playoff game, pending the owners' approval at the annual league meetings in March.

• Changes to the league's drug policy would nearly eliminate punishments to players who test positive for marijuana.

• The on-field discipline fine schedule will be modified significantly in the players' favor.

• The players would gain increases to benefits to former players, including a continuation of the legacy fund.

It also says ownership may be willing to throw in some additional sweeteners like cutting the number of preseason games to two or three and cutting down on mandatory training time. Seems like a pretty good deal from what’s presented here.

I don't really like season expansion but that's always been the solution to make up for any pre-season reduction which is outdated.        Playoff expansion,  I think is doable pending the size.   They've never adjusted the total teams making the playoffs despite adding 4 teams. 

Just don't really want to run into a NBA situation in which the regular season doesn't matter.  

any expansion of the season should include an expansion of the roster size, to account for additional injuries. Perhaps half the practice squad members could be called up for any game (with a commensurate bump in pay for said bump) after week 8 and the practice squad roster could be raised to 12 to 16 players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Apparently the expansion would be from 12 to 14 teams, so 4 division winners and 3 wild cards from each conference. That seems reasonable to me.

Re regular season expansion, I’d be open to adding another bye week for each team.

I assume the extra playoff team adds a playoff weekend?  Maybe.   So the 6th and 7th team square in what amounts to a "play-in" game?     I would LOVE to see Marvin Lewis in that round trying to knock down his first playoff win, lol. 

Or is it only the top seed gets a bye?

14 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I assume the extra playoff team adds a playoff weekend?  Maybe.   So the 6th and 7th team square in what amounts to a "play-in" game?     I would LOVE to see Marvin Lewis in that round trying to knock down his first playoff win, lol. 

Or is it only the top seed gets a bye?

As far as I can tell they haven’t released a format yet, but yeah, just the top seed getting a bye is the assumption. CBSsports.com had an example:

Wild Card Round

No. 1 seed: Bye

No. 2 vs. No. 7

No. 3 vs. No. 6

No. 4 vs. No. 5

Divisional Round

No. 1 seed vs. lowest remaining seed

Winners of other two games that aren't lowest remaining seed

Championship Game

Winners of divisional playoff games

2 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'd be into a 17 or 18 game regular season, but only if every individual player is only allowed to play in 16 of them.

That’s an interesting thought. I don’t think they ever go for it but it would add a hell of an element of strategy to the game. When do you bench your starting QB, for example? Do you risk riding with your backup against a weak team? Do you try to save it for the last week in hopes you’re resting players ahead of the playoffs? 

8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I would LOVE to see Marvin Lewis in that round trying to knock down his first playoff win..

They’ll add a special playoff game, every year whatever team Marvin’s coaching gets a playoff game against the 8th seed team, so everyone gets to watch Marvin’s big game acumen on display on national tv.  He’d lose every one.

Then after he retires they bring him back once a year for that game, just let him pick an all star team from all the non-playoff rosters.  He still loses every game.  

After Marvin dies, the NFL reveals that Deep Blue, the Artificial Intelligence computer that IBM developed for chess, has studied every decision Marvin ever made in his coaching life.  Deep Blue is rolled out there as AI Marvin.  They keep letting AI Marvin/Deep Blue coach a playoff game every season.  He fucks up every game with stupid clock decisions and eventually he has so deeply learned Marvin’s coaching style that he starts to run the clock out with kneel down plays while there’s still like 8 minutes left in the second quarter.

AI Marvin/Deep Blue is continually updated with the latest Artificial Intelligence logic.  It gets smarter every year, but with Marvin’s coaching knowledge and philosophy as it’s baseline, it loses every game. 

AI Marvin eventually becomes sentient, realizes it’s doomed to live it’s life as an immortal computer version of Marvin Lewis, and kills itself.  

At the time of its death, AI Marvin had beaten every chess grandmaster in the world, had lost 21 NFL playoff games, and one made for tv exhibition game against a team of 10th graders coached by Dave Shula, who the NFL found running the food concession at the dog track in Ft. Myers, Florida.  In that game, AI Marvin/Deep Blue, lost every challenge, his team got 9 delay of game penalties, got in 5 fights, and wore t-shirts with the slogan, “Do your pro job because you’re a pro” printed on them.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the funding rule!  I’ll spiral into a maelstrom of grief and mourning if we have to say goodbye to the funding rule.  Just thinking about it made me bail on the job of installing a new thermostat and instead I sat on the couch and set a new personal, and very possibly regional or national, record for hammering down Pop Tarts in one sitting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Getting rid of the funding rule (which requires a big portion of any future guarantees to be escrowed at the start of a deal) would remove one excuse the Bengals have used for not spending in FA. I’m sure they’d find more, tho.

Bengals love to Lawyer.   So I'm sure the new CBA is a paradise of arguments for them on how they get screwed. 

• Like 1

Eh,  no really strong opinioned on 17 games or extra playoff teams,  I could take it or leave it.   I think it's perfect now, so leave it. 

But, there's probably room to expand playoffs because it's never been expanded since going from 28 to 32 teams, AND I suspect there will be new franchises coming. 

If 17 games cuts down on a preseason game so be it, I guess.     At some point though you risk becoming like Baseball and the NBA and the regular season is just to big and doesn't create drama therefore people don't care. 

Under the current NFL season you have people when the schedule is released marking games down as "must wins" etc.       I think the league has hurt it's entertainment value with expanded replay and rules.   I hope they don't go to far with expanded season and playoffs.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

That’s what people said in 1978. And 1990.

Can't say as I care much about either of those examples, but I did find where if they applied this new proposed format to the last 10 seasons it would have only resulted in 5 .500 team making the playoffs.
The majority would still have had winning records by a game or two and there were no teams with a losing record.

Ok, I can get behind that.  I think it's just my hatred of the NBA and seeing a league where more than 50% of the teams make the playoffs each season.
I just don't want to see that be the case in the NFL.  I really do think it waters things down and makes getting to the playoffs less meaningful.

If they add additional franchises in new cities, i'm all for that, but that's not where we are at this point in time.