Bengals take Burrow but .........

Scottishbengal

Of course he says that now. His career crashed and burned after he left. It’s easy to look back after that and say, wow, I was dumb.

But before? He knew exactly what he was doing and he was doing it for two years. And mem’s invocation of Grima Wormtongue is very appropriate given his role in Chad’s infamous “trade me” campaign. Bottom line, I would not trust that snake within 100 miles of Burrow.

Jordan...I’m ok with that. Whatever else you can say about him, the way he took charge and organized the team during the lockout showed me he actually gave a shit, and as far as I know he’s never said a bad word about the club.

But yeah, in the end I’m with mem. They all need to go away.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:12 AM, COB said:

What’s with this cabal of former Bengals getting ahold of our precious?  This is bullshit.

Funny, but, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I like the fact Burrow's coming here with no illusions (Housh can relate reality to him at least) and has already mentioned winning SB's, I just like that he said that, regardless of how good he ends-up being, I like to think MB read that, and Taylor.

I'm not as concerned about what the coaches may or may not do with whomever the QB is, more than I am in how the organization goes about supporting and building around that pick.

While on one hand Finley sucked balls when given his shot, what QB wouldn't have sucked playing behind that (dare I call it an) o-line ??
I still think Finley has the opportunity to develop into a solid back up with additions (see upgrades) to the o-line.
I don't recall many people thinking he was going to come in and supplant Dalton from the jump anyway.

Former players speaking to Burrow ??  Whatever.  Can't say as I care much.
He has enough of the current group already reaching out and discussing things with him.
I think he's intelligent enough to differentiate between what a current player has to say vs. a former player with an axe to grind.

Oh. My. Fukking. Gawd. Give. It. A. Rest.

This isn’t even an “Eli Manning” type of thing anymore. Everyone has dropped this except Patrick. This is a one man personal vendetta against the team now. For whatever reason, Patrick is desperate that Burrow not go to Cincy. The idea that that the team could become good, or even that it has been good in the recent past, appears to be hateful to him. What a pile of shite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

This isn’t even an “Eli Manning” type of thing anymore. Everyone has dropped this except Patrick. This is a one man personal vendetta against the team now. For whatever reason, Patrick is desperate that Burrow not go to Cincy. The idea that that the team could become good, or even that it has been good in the recent past, appears to be hateful to him. What a pile of shite.

He’s basically trolling.  Plays his own interview where Burrow says both going number 1 and going to a good team are important to him.  Then Patrick goes “Joe Burrow can’t have it both ways, if he goes 1 he won’t go to a good team.”

WTF.  What is Burrow supposed to do about it?  He’s going into an ultra-unionized industry where his options are almost none.  Just do your best and stack up the legal tender.  Also, what did he expect Burrow to say?  I don’t care about going high, and I don’t ever want to be on a good team?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Colin Cowherd show is anti Burrow to the Bengals too.   His girl he has as a co-host openly says she hopes Burrow doesn't go to the Bengals.

Steinberg Tua's agent is also fueling the fire for Tua not going here saying he hopes we fall in love with Burrow. 

Small market, Small fan base, Small sports media, and unlikable owner.   Nobody on a national level is going to risk sounding like defending Mike Brown or the Bengals coming off 2-14 record.  

As I have said for a while.   Carson Palmer was wrong.   Nobody ever digs past the surface.   They rag Andy Dalton but never ever point out the discrepancy.   IF Andy Dalton is bad or average.   Then it was the organization that lifted him up to 4 playoff appearances and 5th playoff season.

That is the most relevant history concerning Joe Burrow.   Dalton benefitted from what Palmer gave up.    Nobody wants to deal with a terrible owner having found a successful period and possibly a change in organization structure.   

• Like 1

It's part of the reason I don't EVER listen to what the talking head ANALysts have to say about this kind of stuff.

Boo hoo, let me know when the players have an actual choice where they play. 
This isn't San Diego and New York here.  They must not know Mike Brown as well as they think they do.
He would simply select him and then dig in.

Stupid...

• Like 1

well, to be fair, this is a gawdawful disfunctional franchise with easily one of the worst front offices in the league.

I still think a top qb should be drafted, nothing changes in that respect, but it also remains true that the Bengals are a very, very bad organization, mostly rotten right at the top

I get that people are sorry he is coming here, but thats simply how the draft works, because in theory the worst teams like us are provided the best chance to get better. They can perhaps take solace in that he will be the best paid rookie in the league, and has a chance to be seen as the "savior" here

50 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

well, to be fair, this is a gawdawful disfunctional franchise with easily one of the worst front offices in the league.

I still think a top qb should be drafted, nothing changes in that respect, but it also remains true that the Bengals are a very, very bad organization, mostly rotten right at the top

I get that people are sorry he is coming here, but thats simply how the draft works, because in theory the worst teams like us are provided the best chance to get better. They can perhaps take solace in that he will be the best paid rookie in the league, and has a chance to be seen as the "savior" here

To be fair would be to point out the last 2 QBs they drafted with intention of being the starter won the division multiple times.   At least mention that once.

That's really all that is relevant to Joe Burrow. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Literally the dumbest “interview” I’ve ever heard. If I was this Clark guy’s boss at the Enquirer I’d fire him.

Oh and Patrick. Shut the fuk up.

A year ago it was the Dan Patrick interview that stirred up Kyler Murray non committal to football concerns.  

As soon as the Super Bowl is over, Kyler Murray is going to be the biggest story in sports. This year’s Heisman Trophy winner was also a top-10 pick in last year’s MLB draft and doesn’t have very long to pick between football and baseball.

It’s a unique and endlessly intriguing situation, so he must know he’s going to be asked about it in every interview he does until he makes his decision. And yet, Murray appeared totally unprepared to address the conundrum during his appearance Friday on The Dan Patrick Show

Patrick repeatedly tried to get Murray to give even the slightest hint of what his plans might be and Murray wasn’t playing along

Same song and dance this year. 

• Like 1

Dan Patrick in that clip Hoosier posted:

”People should feel sorry for me, like, ‘Oh my god look what happened to Dan Patrick, he used to be a respected journalist’.”

No one would say that.  Everyone knows what’s going on with you Dan, you,re trolling, seeking attention, trying to be relevant on the sports talk scene.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

If Joe Burrow is the guy that I think he is, then a bunch of media asshats putting words in his mouth should be added motivation to do whatever they don't want him to do -- and to prove them wrong about Cincinnati.

Because as flawed as this organization is, they are absolutely wrong.