Bengals take Burrow but .........

Scottishbengal

Spy vs Spy -  every year this stuff starts, and it has started now.  Someone is making a converted effort to drop Tua’s stock, probably in the hope they can get him in their crappy draft slot.

Just in 24 hours I’m reading anonymous reports of how teams have flunked him in their physical, how he was suddenly bad on the board, how various authorities think he’s too injury prone, too fragile, etc.  Probably the Dolphins hoping they can get him at 5.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I'd take the dolphins 3 r1 picks in 2020 plus their 1 and 2 next year for our R1P1 pick in 2020

Unless you know for certain that Burrow is Brady vs. 2.0, most teams make that trade with little thought.
I would be all in on that one due to the amount of impact players to add to the roster.,

Army - I am still not sure why it is bad that good things are being said about their likely number one pick.

you have to be beaten down as a fan to find something bad in that.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, ArmyBengal said:

I really do want the Bengals to take Burrow, but must admit I've never seen the level of pole-smoking coming into the draft as we have with him.

I'll be happy when the pick is made and moving on to round two.

Agreed, it's a little odd really,  it's all based on one season with him, which I can't get over ultimately - you can't let your homosexual feelings for another man get in the way of reality like that. :)

6 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Oh, I forgot to piss off mem for the day.....and since I am contractually bound to do so, here goes: I'd take the dolphins 3 r1 picks in 2020 plus their 1 and 2 next year for our R1P1 pick in 2020

salt on the wound: I'd sprint to the (virtual) podium to announce this trade

I just read on PFT that there's some Herbert fans in the Bengals' draft room (NBC report) and that it's not out of question they trade-down and take him still.   It's a career-defining pick for Taylor,  and you gotta wonder if the physical superiority of Herbert and 3+ years of tape as a starter might make him feel more confident - I guess we'll see.  

In this case, I think the lack of personal workouts favors Burrow also - am actually looking forward to getting that pick over with, whoever it is.

If...and only if....Miami gives ALL three firsts, and a second, and a first next year you take that deal.  I am still of the opinion that if you trade down, you use these selections to fix the rest of the lineup.

My current strategy is:

5: take Isiah Simmons

Trade 18 and 26 to move back up into the top 12 and take either Wills, Wilfs or Thomas... ( Wilfs is my favorite)

At 33 you take the best WR (Shenault is my favorite because he fills the best need though Mims or Higgins would work as well)

At 56 (From Miami): I would select Hunt the RG from Louisiana though Jackson from Ohio State or Isiah Wilson from Georgia would also work.

In the third I take Trautman the TE from Dayton.

I let Dalton start next year and prep to select a QB next season.

If Miami doesn't offer the whole lot you say thanks but no thanks and select Burrow. Both scenarios are great.

Think about this lineup.  An offensive line with Jonah Williams at LT, Tristan Wirfs at RT, Michael Jordan at LG, Robert Hunt at RG, and Trey Hopkins would be the best line in the NFL.  Isiah Simmons with Pratt would be a major upgrade in the athleticism of the LB Corp.

5 hours ago, membengal said:

Army - I am still not sure why it is bad that good things are being said about their likely number one pick.

you have to be beaten down as a fan to find something bad in that.

It’s not a bad thing. Never said it was. Just saying I don’t recall analysts being so over the top about every little thing. 

Beaten down ?? Aren’t we all ?? I thought that came with being a fan of this team !!

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Cool. Peace out. ✌️ 

have at it with needing to feel like shit all the time.

Again, relax Mem. It’s simply an opinion that differs from yours.  I don’t feel like shit about any of it. I’m pretty fucking pumped up about having a true franchise QB. I’m just open to other thoughts that are equally reasonable.

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If...and only if....Miami gives ALL three firsts, and a second, and a first next year you take that deal.  I am still of the opinion that if you trade down, you use these selections to fix the rest of the lineup.

My current strategy is:

5: take Isiah Simmons

Trade 18 and 26 to move back up into the top 12 and take either Wills, Wilfs or Thomas... ( Wilfs is my favorite)

At 33 you take the best WR (Shenault is my favorite because he fills the best need though Mims or Higgins would work as well)

At 56 (From Miami): I would select Hunt the RG from Louisiana though Jackson from Ohio State or Isiah Wilson from Georgia would also work.

In the third I take Trautman the TE from Dayton.

I let Dalton start next year and prep to select a QB next season.

If Miami doesn't offer the whole lot you say thanks but no thanks and select Burrow. Both scenarios are great.

Think about this lineup.  An offensive line with Jonah Williams at LT, Tristan Wirfs at RT, Michael Jordan at LG, Robert Hunt at RG, and Trey Hopkins would be the best line in the NFL.  Isiah Simmons with Pratt would be a major upgrade in the athleticism of the LB Corp.

I don’t think there’s any chance in hell they don’t come away with a first round QB this year. Fans would absolutely feel the season was a loss with Dalton leading the way. The thought of Dalton starting when they could have had Burrow is enough to have people eating bullets.

Maybe it’s just me but Dalton over Burrow in 2020 equals no reason to watch this team. 

At a min:  They must walk away with one of the top 3 QBs in this draft. 

So a trade with Miami that puts you at 5.   Do all 3 go in the first four picks? 
 Love has gotten a lot of Love too.  

Personally I’ve been happy with the thought of Burrow.   I just don’t think he out classes this field of QBs to the point in which you pass up 5/6 high picks.  

I love Simmons wouldn’t be upset at getting him but I’m going franchise position at 5.  Off the ball LB isn’t one of them. 

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Miami and Bengals have become intertwined.   The late season comeback and loss adds to the mix.

First rounders have 4 years plus an option the rest are 4 years.   It will interesting to see where these two organizations are in years 3,4 and 5. 

Yeah, we are going to have to put up with a decades worth of comps to Miami, aren’t we? Gawd forbid Burrow isn’t the second coming, because the national media will never get tired of “stupid Bengals turned down three number ones for Burrow lololol” stories (even tho the trade was never offered, of course, someone will say it was and that’s that).

in the same sense we'll get the credit for sticking to our guns and drafting the next Manning (Peyton, not his little bro), yeah, we could get based for not making a move if he isnt all that

comes with the territory

I honestly have no idea who the best qb of the 2020 draft will be when we look back 20 years from now.  I just think Burrow has the best shot of being that guy

• Like 1

And that's where i'm at.  I think Burrow presents as the best chance at that happening from this QB class.

Does that happen every year ??  No, but if you are there about the guy you are taking, it should take a ton to move you from that pick.

This guy doesn't need to be Brady, but if you think he will be a top 5 QB in the league for the next 10+ years is 3 first rounders enough to get that guy ??

I don't think so and why it would take a shit ton of picks to move me.  I've said it before, the 3 first rounders this year is the "starting point" if there is a discussion at all.

• Like 1

Given that the draft is an exercise in the unknown, I don't think there's a true "mistake" in just taking Burrow. If he's as good as he looks like he can and should be, then he is worth more than some bundle of standard-issue every-year first rounders. So taking him is obviously the right choice. If he isn't that good, there are exactly zero reliable means of seeing that coming.

Just take the guy. They will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'd like to see them trade back into the bottom of r1 if a blue chip OT falls into the mid 20s, just ahead of any teams with a big OT need

The Houston OT comes to mind

Yeah, the Vikes might be willing to trade down from 26 if they are targeting a WR and have similar grades on a few different prospects.  That would likely get us the ability to take a Josh Jones or whichever of the two LBs is still there (likely Murray)

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

in the same sense we'll get the credit for sticking to our guns and drafting the next Manning (Peyton, not his little bro), yeah, we could get based for not making a move if he isnt all that

comes with the territory

I honestly have no idea who the best qb of the 2020 draft will be when we look back 20 years from now.  I just think Burrow has the best shot of being that guy

Yup. That’s always been the bottom line. 

15 hours ago, Stripes said:

Given that the draft is an exercise in the unknown, I don't think there's a true "mistake" in just taking Burrow. If he's as good as he looks like he can and should be, then he is worth more than some bundle of standard-issue every-year first rounders. So taking him is obviously the right choice. If he isn't that good, there are exactly zero reliable means of seeing that coming.

Just take the guy. They will.

I think it's pretty simple.  It's not zero.  Not by a longshot.    IF Burrow reaches great heights as a pro then his lack of big time power 5 offers will become a referendum on the evils of sports specialization at the grade school and high school level.

Burrow was a good basketball player and supposedly didn't spend his entire time trying to be a big time QB.  Again supposedly that's what led to his lack of power 5 offers.  

A recent article from Gil Brandt confirms Burrow's physical skills as first round worthy.   Says based on his tape he thinks he has 4.7 speed and arm talent comparable to Peyton Manning coming out.   More than good enough but not GREAT.

Then we know about all the leadership etc.   A couple NBA drafts ago (maybe last year) a kid got picked in the lottery from Murray State.  How did the Duke's, Kentucky's etc. miss on him?  He wasn't a standout on his AAU team.

Not exactly the same deal with Burrow but if you aren't beating the bushes and attending all these pro passing camps as a high school athlete then you are limiting your exposure.  If that's truly the case with him. 

IF Burrow flops then the story flips.  The Bengals should have known.  Got hot for 1 season.  Couldn't beat out Haskins who was bad as rookie in the NFL.  Nebraska turned him down twice.  LSU was loaded etc. 

Either way around, someone's agenda or talking point is going to be proven correct even if they are currently stabbing in the dark.

My stab in the dark is that the Bengals will take Burrow, continue to build around him, and GOD FORBID win a playoff game and possibly more.

Seeing as how I have never been a football coach, scout, or even played the game it's amazing that my take has as much of a chance at happening as the people who do this for a living.

Football is awesome !!!

7 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

IF Burrow flops then the story flips.  The Bengals should have known.  Got hot for 1 season.  Couldn't beat out Haskins who was bad as rookie in the NFL.  Nebraska turned him down twice.  LSU was loaded etc. 

Anyone would be free to make those arguments, but it wouldn’t make those arguments at all compelling. They’re just not good points.