Bengals take Burrow but .........

Scottishbengal

31 minutes ago, membengal said:

Meh. This is just another sign Burrow doesn’t want to play in Cincy. If he really wanted to be a Bengal, he would have gone to Cincy for the interview instead of making them come to him. Totally disrespectful. They should take Fromm instead.

If he's half the leader and talent that Brady is, we are going to be a happy group of fans.

I hear people say, "Oh, that's the kiss of death".
I feel like, well what's the alternative ??

Would Bengals fans rather hear that the potential #1 overall pick looks like Mike Bercovici ??
Bring on the kiss of death !!!

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:25 PM, HoosierCat said:

Meh. This is just another sign Burrow doesn’t want to play in Cincy. If he really wanted to be a Bengal, he would have gone to Cincy for the interview instead of making them come to him. Totally disrespectful. They should take Fromm instead.

So,  I don't think it's a big secret that the barriers of entry into "media"  have been lowered with the expansion of the internet since the late 90s.     Thus you get agenda more than subjectivity.

So Florio was trying to explain away Burrow's comments as something like well his comments are reflection of him being OK with being the NO. 1 pick but that doesn't mean he really wants to play for the Bengals.

Florio, just stop, you sound like an idiot.   There was never any substance to this media's wet dream of Burrow denying the Bengals. 

Lazy media.  I don't blame anyone for not wanting to look like they are defending Mike Brown.   However, the fact remains the last 2 QBs the Bengals drafted were not Superhuman QBs and they went to the playoff multiple times for the Bengals.  Which mean that "yes" they built around them to a level that helped with a certain level of success.   Any "yes" if it wasn't for injuries or bad luck that level might have gone a bit further to a singular playoff win.

The only relevant conversation is how are the Bengals going to retool a currently woeful roster so Burrow can have a chance to take it further than Palmer and Dalton? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

If he's half the leader and talent that Brady is, we are going to be a happy group of fans.

I hear people say, "Oh, that's the kiss of death".
I feel like, well what's the alternative ??

Would Bengals fans rather hear that the potential #1 overall pick looks like Mike Bercovici ??
Bring on the kiss of death !!!

Yeah,  would you rather draft a QB not coming off the best college season ever, BUT throws like a QB God in underwear?

There's bust risk for every pick and always will be.   A certain level of bust risk is not controllable by the player or the team. 

Take Burrow.   Keep Joe Mixon behind him and take your swings and see what happens. 

I would only consider not taking Burrow if a trade scenario popped up that would be considered a King's ransom.

I’m just keeping my expectations modest. If he’s better than Andy, it’s a win. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

And yeah, the organization is a concern. It’s always a concern, and would be no matter who they draft. They have both a history of deferring to their QBs, sometimes (arguably) excessively so — and a history of undercutting them with bad personnel calls (especially on the oline).

And, of course, there’s the Steelers. If Burrow looks anything like the next Brady, they will go after him with intent to injure until they succeed.

So...if Burrow lives up to his billing, and if the FO doesn’t screw up too badly (just normal screwing up is all I ask) and if Burrow can be protected from the evil fukkers from Pitt, yeah, we could be in for a special time. I’d love to see it.

Pretty helpful article from Morrison in the Athletic this AM with a chart on offensive results for teams starting first year QBs in the last 10 years - the chart won't paste but these paragraphs sum it up:

https://theathletic.com/1656675/2020/03/06/should-the-bengals-go-offense-offense-offense-with-their-first-3-draft-picks/?source=shared-article

The chart illustrates why teams no longer feel the need to make their rookie quarterback spend a year learning under a veteran the way the Bengals did with Carson Palmer in 2003. That's not to say it isn't a good idea. Patrick Mahomes has a regular-season MVP and Super Bowl MVP after sitting on the bench his rookie year behind Alex Smith. Of course, Mahomes took over a team in much better shape than what most of the quarterbacks on this table stepped into.

And yet 13 of the 16 guided their teams to more wins than they had the previous year. Twelve led their teams to more points. And 10 directed an offense to a higher ranking in overall efficiency, six of which were massive leaps of 13 spots or more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...