Bengals take Burrow but .........

Scottishbengal

It seems a foregone conclusion that the Bengals take Joe Burrow with the #1 pick.

He has the awards, he has the stats, he has the history, and he has it all ahead of him ...... but will he continue to develop to NFL standard with the Bengals coaching staff ??

Ryan Finley had a decent rep coming into the draft, but when given his chance of 3 starts looked woefully inadequate for life in the NFL, and that's with having a HC who is "QB friendly" having been a QB himself and a QB coach.

Now I know Finley is no Burrow but is there a danger that the Cincy coaches actually ruin Burrow rather than develop to fulfil his great potential - ??????

????  
Zac Taylor was hired off a NFC Championship team as QB coach because Goff has his best year.

Callahan worked with Manning and Broncos in which they made a Super Bowl.

Probably got the best season out of Carr.  Has also worked with Stafford in Detroit. 

Then Van Pelt has worked with Rodgers. 

Anything is possible, I guess but it’s a deep QB experienced group. 

8 hours ago, COB said:

Just read that Bengals QB coach Alex Van Pelt has been hired to be the OC in Cleveland.  Fucking Browns, go eat shit.

Eh, our qbs sucked last year, good riddance.

If the Bengals screw up with Burrow, I doubt it will be because of coaching. More likely it will be because they do what they did with Palmer and Dalton: force him to play behind a shit oline throwing to players that are unreliable for reasons of talent, injury or character. In short, they’ll fail to build and maintain a team around him.

You want Burrow to succeed you build your team around him. Do what he does best, build your playbook to suit his strengths. Go out and actually sign a GOOD free agent or two that can contribute right away in helping the team. Draft Burrow, then draft some guys who can block for him, protect him!

If he fails it will be because they didn’t do enough for him. They need to start changing the way they think!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Eh, our qbs sucked last year, good riddance.

If the Bengals screw up with Burrow, I doubt it will be because of coaching. More likely it will be because they do what they did with Palmer and Dalton: force him to play behind a shit oline throwing to players that are unreliable for reasons of talent, injury or character. In short, they’ll fail to build and maintain a team around him.

It works both ways.   Dalton and Palmer had their shot.   Both had really good teams.    Bad luck was factor for both.    The Bengals are patient to a fault so yeah Burrow might have to worry about the talent level starting he will not have to worry about a quick hook either.    Dalton got huge money after choking away a playoff game.   So did Marvin. 

We are shopping for a new franchise QB this year because the organization has been trying to get Marvin and then Dalton back to 2015.   A year that came about because they didn't trash them after choking so bad the years before.  

Oddly enough Palmer was on the radio yesterday saying Tobin will find talent for Burrow.   He hedged his claims by being vague about the organization going ALL IN.   However,  in reality an organization going ALL IN means not coddling existing franchise QBs.   That's something both Palmer and Dalton benefitted from while here.

In San Fran; Joe Montana gets a couple injuries has a couple bad playoff games and his ass is on the bench and then off to KC while Young is in.    Palmer and Dalton never had ANY of that kind pressure while here.     An organization going all in means you'll be seeing some real competition in Training Camp.  Might be seeing a couple different Offensive Coordinators or Head Coaches during your time.    

Oh the irony.   LOL, Jordan Palmer.    I hope his QB training business is successful since he is working with Burrow.   Hopefully Burrow will be his ultimate marketing tool and lead Jordan into a wildly successful business.

But come on Jordan.   You weren't a NFL talent.   You got drafted because of your brother and then cut in the same year training camp.   That's the story with every NFL team you signed with with EXCEPT the Bengals.  Superbowl committed teams don't throw away a roster spot on a 3rd QB that's the little brother.

Don't go around bashing Bengals when you use your "NFL Experience" to sign potential NFL QBs to train with you.    Lord knows if your brother wasn't so damn good and you had to do it on your own; you are 1 step away from running a boot camp facility for house wives.

Dehner is trying too hard.

game this out for me - let’s say despite burrow’s dad already saying they are annoyed with suggestions that Burrow pull an Eli that somehow Burrow says he refuses to play for the team two hours from where he lives. You think that mike brown of all people will be bullied into dealing that pick? Mike would take Burrow and call the bluff. IF burrow then actually sat out the year (costing himself millions of dollars ) he goes back into next years Draft now 25 years old, having not played in a year, and in a draft with Lawrence, Fields and some other really great QB prospects. No way he goes number one next year - maybe falls out of top five or even top 10 costing himself even more money.

other than in the fever dreams of paul Dehner and Dan Patrick and Mike brown haters, please tell me how any of that makes any sense or that him trying to force a trade is remotely likely to happen .

so tired of the talking heads trying to force news to fill up the 24 hour news cycle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Dehner is trying too hard.

game this out for me - let’s say despite burrow’s dad already saying they are annoyed with suggestions that Burrow pull an Eli that somehow Burrow says he refuses to play for the team two hours from where he lives. You think that mike brown of all people will be bullied into dealing that pick? Mike would take Burrow and call the bluff. IF burrow then actually sat out the year (costing himself millions of dollars ) he goes back into next years Draft now 25 years old, having not played in a year, and in a draft with Lawrence, Fields and some other really great QB prospects. No way he goes number one next year - maybe falls out of top five or even top 10 costing himself even more money.

other than in the fever dreams of paul Dehner and Dan Patrick and Mike brown haters, please tell me how any of that makes any sense or that him trying to force a trade is remotely likely to happen .

so tired of the talking heads trying to force news to fill up the 24 hour news cycle.

Yep to all the above, plus remember the cba ends this year so there’s the possibility of a work stoppage in 2021. He’d be a fool to hold out.

That said, the FO has a history of indulging its QBs, and if all this prompts them to be even a little more aggressive in March, great.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Oh yeah, the CBA thing - absolutely that too - no way he refuses to play.

the actual audio helps with context - also, Dan Patrick was being a dick:

Thanks, I hadn’t seen that clip. And yup, Patrick is trying to stir up shit here, same as he did with Carson. 

I can’t wait for the Super Bowl to be over so that the sports media can forget about the nfl until the draft.