Bengals to Coach Senior Bowl

Mike reading the quarterbacks section in Street & Smith’s College Football Review:

Looks at first player page / “Hmm, a gunslinger, but not lantern-jawed.”

Turns page / Hmm, not a gunslinger, and not lantern-jawed either.”

Turns page / “Ok, lantern-jawed, but not a gunslinger.”

Turns page to Justin Herbert / “Oh maw gawd!  A lantern-jawed gunslinger!!” /Clutches chest Fred Sanford style/ “Home Instead lady who’s name I can’t remember, bring me my pills, quick!”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, COB said:

Turns page to Justin Herbert / “Oh maw gawd!  A lantern-jawed gunslinger!!” /Clutches chest Fred Sanford style/ “Home Instead lady who’s name I can’t remember, bring me my pills, quick!”

That’d be Elizabeth, dummy!

On 1/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, Stripes said:

Now don't go falling in love with Herbert's goofy ass, Bengals.

Until we hear that they love Burrow, it's a legit concern.  I think Herbert can be a great NFL QB, potentially, but like most here I'm on the Burrow train as well, at least until there's ever a reason not to be, which I'm not seeing at this point.  If he lights up Clemson Mon night, it would drives things home I think, regardless of combine/workout results. 

Bit of an uknown with Taylor still, being a former QB, he could do something a bit whacky.  I'm not confident in his ability to do anything other than listen to his scouts/personnel people,  and do what they say.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:35 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Until we hear that they love Burrow, it's a legit concern.  I think Herbert can be a great NFL QB, potentially, but like most here I'm on the Burrow train as well, at least until there's ever a reason not to be, which I'm not seeing at this point.  If he lights up Clemson Mon night, it would drives things home I think, regardless of combine/workout results. 

Bit of an uknown with Taylor still, being a former QB, he could do something a bit whacky.  I'm not confident in his ability to do anything other than listen to his scouts/personnel people,  and do what they say.

Tobin has the biggest non-Brown family influence on the draft board.    It's been speculated after the infamous non-break up of 2010 the Brown family influence declined greatly on the draft board.   What is unknown is how much was it Marvin or Tobin and what is the coaches role.

Either way IF you want Burrow.   Zac has several strong connections to him via Nebraska that people are starting to put together.  

IF you are going to have fear it should be the opposite way.   Hopefully the evaluation and eventual selection of Burrow is done mostly on football skill and not personal connections and familiarity.

Glad these two tackles are going to the Senior bowl.   

Adams - Washington OT and Wanogho - Auburn OT.    The classic "first round skill set" BUT something is there to push them to the 2nd or 3rd.    With Bengals coaching and having prime picks in 2nd and 3rd rounds.

During the summer leading up to fall camp for the 2017 season, scouting sources with NFL teams who had gone ahead to work the 2018 class during the spring told me that they thought Adams had the potential to be an elite prospect. Those evaluators felt that Adams could emerge as one of the top talents for the 2018 NFL Draft and had him in the top three of all players entering the 2017 season. They compared Adams' size and athleticism to Taylor Lewan coming out of Michigan, and also said that Adams has good technique to go with his impressive skill set. Adams was one of the top left tackles in the Pac-12 in 2016. The Huskies fielded a potent passing offense, and Adams did a nice job of keeping his quarterback, Jake Browning, protected. Adams was excellent against Alabama in the playoff game.

Sources from around the league thought he was a first-rounder, with some liking him at left tackle and others thinking he would a better fit at right tackle. One college scouting director said they had a higher grade on Adams than they did on Garett Bolles in 2016, who was the first tackle taken in the 2017 NFL Draft.

So Adams is injury concern.   He tore ACL in 2017 and had back injury 2018 and that's how a highly skilled tackle finds himself in the 2019 draft despite scouts thinking he was a first rounder a long time ago.

1/13/20: Wanogho looked very good at times for Auburn and still had some other plays that illustrated how he is raw and needs development, but there is no doubt Wanogho has a great skill set with a lot of upside if he plays up to his potential. He has the skill set of a starting left tackle for the NFL. Some sources feel he could be this year's Greg Little as a player with a first-round skill set who slips to the second day because of being raw with underdeveloped technique. 

Wanogho -  First round skill set.   Upside.  Raw. 

• Like 1

I think Burrow is going NO. 1 overall to the Bengals.   I think it's already been decided based on the tea leaves.    If that's the case neither Burrow nor the Bengals should want him at that game in front of the media.     Look at Kyler Murray last year.   He gave 1 bad interview during Super Bowl week and that sparked questions that would hound him and the Cardinals for the next couple months.

As a fan,  I would like Burrow to be there.    I think he'll test out athletically better than what most people have been saying.   I think his arm strength will prove to be better than suggested and I think he's got better speed.  

If the Bengals are still in the evaluation process then of course they want him there.  

But IF you know he's your pick then why put him there side by side with Herbert so some ya-hoo Browns/Steeler scout can start leaking to the media that Herbert has the better NFL arm and let that morph into Burrow doesn't have an NFL arm?   

I’m not terrified about Burrow missing the Senior Bowl, I’m more worried about the comments about Hebert.

I truly feel that’s who Tobin and Mike Brown like, they specifically went to watch him play, not sure if they did that with Burrow or not. Hopefully it’s all talk and Burrow is still the guy.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

I’m not terrified about Burrow missing the Senior Bowl, I’m more worried about the comments about Hebert.

I truly feel that’s who Tobin and Mike Brown like, they specifically went to watch him play, not sure if they did that with Burrow or not. Hopefully it’s all talk and Burrow is still the guy.

Tobin was spotted at LSU and Utah State game back in October.   

NFL scouts here at Utah State-LSU, many of whom are here to see QBs Joe Burrow & Jordan Love:

Saints
Packers (including Brian Gutskunst)
Buccaneers (2)
Colts (2)
Giants
Bengals (Duke Tobin)@seniorbowl (2)

— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) October 5, 2019

As a sidenote:  Herbert is a good QB prospect.   Not worried at all about drafting him,  I would just hope they would accumulate picks for a trade down.

Extra points. Auburn OT Prince Tega Wanogho is one of several players who were withheld from the game following their physical examinations upon arrival. Wanogho said fluid in his knee caused some swelling and forced him to sit out the week, but he intends remain in Mobile to interview with clubs and attend South team meetings. ... Alabama DL Raekwon Davis was a late withdrawal from the Senior Bowldue to an ankle injury.

Bad news for a player I was hoping would impress. 

Bengals coach understanding of Burrow's absence. As much as the Cincinnati Bengalsmight have liked to spend a week coaching former LSU QB Joe Burrow at the Senior Bowl, coach Zac Taylor wasn't at all put off by Burrow's decision to pass on an invitation. The length of LSU's run to win a College Football Playoff national championship, Taylor noted, made his absence unsurprising. LSU went 15-0 and knocked off Clemson for the title just eight days ago.

"I certainly understand -- I mean, the guy just played an NFL season. There is still plenty of time to get to know all the players in the draft before April rolls around," Taylor said on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl's media day event. "... To go undefeated, win the national championship, be the leader he is, that stuff is really impressive. He certainly has a lot of great traits, things you get excited about as a coach. (We're) still going through the evaluation process with him, just like all the quarterbacks here."