2020 Offseason Roster Moves

HoosierCat

They couldn't keep DJ Reader and traded Hopkins because they couldn’t afford them but took on the contract of David Johnson, who hasn’t done shit in two seasons at 13 million yearly average.

Go ahead and be leery of Zac Taylor, at least he’s not Bill O’Brian who’s also their GM !!

O’Brian has totally blown it.  And now that he’s been portrayed in the media, rightly or wrongly, as a racist, well, they’re going to have a terrible time getting players.  Not just one race or the other, there are just a lot of guys regardless of race who won’t want to be around that kind of thinking.  He’s finished, they should just get it over with and move on now.

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

maybe he could start a home-maintenance type service business, you know, pressure washing driveways and such, or......

I’m in a war with these oak trees.  They hang onto their leaves until April sometimes, makes no sense.  They’re trying to clog my downspouts, but I wasn’t born yesterday.  Sunbelt Rentals has an industrial scissor lift they claim can get any fat guy 6 feet off the ground, so O’Brien is a candidate if for some unforeseen reason I can’t get my ultimate candidate which is, of course, Bobby Hart.  

I chat on a Texans forum periodically and those guys hate their front office as much, if not more than we do. I honestly think we are in a better spot than they are.

Most think Watson will be on his way out as soon as he’s able. They talk about his trade value at this point, thinking O’Brian will just get rid of him anyway...

Yeah Bengals ??

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So... thinking John Ross again for some reason.

We know they didn't pick up his option and I think everyone is rightly concerned about his injury history.
That being the case, I started thinking about what 2021 holds for the WR position.
It would be great to see them couple Burrow back up with Ja'Marr Chase, but not at the cost of a top 10 pick which is where Chase will go.

I took a look at the highlights from Burrow and Chase from last year and as I was watching thought, that dude looks like John Ross in his highlights.
Immediately I wondered if having a stronger armed QB in Burrow might have a positive impact on the speedy Ross ??
Chase is 6'1, 200lbs, with Ross at 5'11, 195lbs and both relying on speed and quickness.

Maybe i'm just hopeful in seeing what a QB with the skill set of Burrow does for the rest of the offensive unit.
For everyone bagging on his arm strength, I have watched many throws of his travel 50 yards and be on the money.
The game against Texas A&M saw exactly that.  A perfect 50 yard heave for a TD to Chase.  Beautiful.

If there is no football in 2020, I'll swear that God hates the Bengals.

If Ross can stay healthy I have no doubt he will be a fearsome weapon. And given how the Bengals’ luck usually runs, now that they declined the option he’ll put up 2,000 yards and 50 TDs or some such ridiculous numbers.

Maybe there’s a bright spot to no season...

As stated many times the issue with Ross is health.  Then consistency.  Then Dalton.

I think talent is there.    His career path (not game) reminds me of Warrick and TJ. 

If he can get past the landmines of being injured that makes it easier to be consistent and then if you have a QB that can cash it in when you’ve done your job. 

My guess even with limited playing time Dalton missed him a dozen times on chunk plays.   Dalton hits him just 2 or 3 more times the perception about him changes. 

or he could easily be what he has been and they move on. 

Well if Ross stinks up the place, my next plan will be for Myles Brennan (LSU QB) to suck in 2020 and in turn his WR's don't have the stellar season they did last year with Burrow.
Ja'Marr Chase will still go top 10, but maybe Terrace Marshall Jr. won't require a 1st or 2nd round pick.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/7/14/21324441/bengals-news-mike-brown-owner-nfl-agents-rankings-patriots-bill-belichick

Agents don’t like dealing with the Bengals.  I get that.  

Say You’re an agent, you’ve got a couple mid-level guys, you’re shopping them around the league.  Most teams have a pretty clear avenue to the decision makers.  You know who to call, they answer and talk to you because it’s their job.  

With the Bengals, I doubt things are all that clear.  

The one quote that jumped out at me was about the Bengals having 4 people doing what other teams employ 25 to 40 people to do.  That just sounded like someone who either isn’t getting his phone calls returned or doesn’t even know who to call.  The latter wouldn’t be surprising.  With no GM, and a very unclear delineation of responsibilities, I imagine it is difficult to figure out who to call.  

Shocked and surprised ??

NOPE...

We Bengals fans have only known this existence when it comes to the team we follow and love.
They skimp in places that probably hinder the team.  People like to mention Mike Brown isn't cheap based upon the salaries he hands out and spending up to the cap.
What they fail to mention is exactly this.  Even if he really had 10 people, instead of the 4 mentioned, he'd still be shortchanging AT LEAST 50% from what other teams put into it.
I don't know what salaries are for these positions, but 4-10 versus 25-40 ??  Yeah, that's being a cheap ass.

Unless someone wants to argue how successful the team has been with that approach....

21 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Clearly Burrow is holding out in order to force a trade because he doesn’t want to play in Cincy...

Probably. I really don’t want this to drag at all to avoid shit like that from the usual sources...

• Like 1