2020 Offseason Roster Moves

HoosierCat

12 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

we just picked up a second year cornerback 6 foot 200lbs 4.35 speed off waivers........

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/30/bengals-claim-tony-brown-off-of-waivers/

It will be interesting who they're anticipating losing, either Denard (who is a UFA) or Jackson, whose salary jumps from $1.5 mil to $10 mil next year on his last contract year, but can be cut with no dead cap penalty from what I understand.

Kirkpatrick is signed for 2 more years and is more costly in terms of dead cap space if cut ($2.8 mil).

Knowing MB, he probably doesn't want to pay 2 corners $9-$11 mil at the same time, and are already anticipating cutting Jackson and possibly losing Denard if his FA price is too high.

Without using a high draft pick, I really don't know how they improve the DB's in one off-season without spending some money though.  They really need a proverbial shutdown corner, but likely won't find one for another year or two.

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

so with Dorsey out in Cleveland, I'd like to say I'd be happy to have Dorsey as our GM

Typical Cleveland, fire the GM who built you a good roster.  I almost want to injure myself while writing this, but their owner is worse than ours.

I saw the redskins are hiring Del Rio, that’s who I really wanted for DC. Everywhere he goes he just makes a defense better, to bad Taylor never brought him in here.

Im guessing  there will be no coaching changes here, which after a 2 win season you would think there would be something. Hopefully they will bring in a guy like Cahallan here, but who knows. I’m still all about getting some vet coaches here.

I would love Callahan or a vet D-Cord in here, BUT it's the roster.   

1. Damien Willis - Opening day starter cut multiple times and it's the Bengals resigning him

2. Andre Smith - Cut and no one picked up on him

3. Preston Brown - Cut and signed by Raiders didn't get on an active roster then cut

That's 3 opening day starters that are street Free Agent or Last stop level players sucking up major snaps.    We all know there's more IF the Bengals would cut them.   John Jerry bengals cut him no team is signing him as a front line starter maybe a back up to back up.      Price and Jordan?  Teams would pick them up because of potential and cheap but they are not walking into starting jobs on a playoff contender like they do here.

Next TC if Andre Smith and John Jerry are at Training Camp for longer than a week then it's more likely or not that another long miserable season is coming.   They were supposedly done with Smith in 2015.    Yet somehow he can find a few starts with this team.

On 01/01/2020 at 9:51 PM, volcom69 said:

Redskins are hiring Del Rio, ........... Everywhere he goes he just makes a defense better, too bad Taylor never brought him in here.

Im guessing  there will be no coaching changes here, which after a 2 win season you would think there would be something.

I’m still all about getting some vet coaches here.

you've hit the nail on the head

• 2 weeks later...

From espn:

Bengals secondary/cornerbacks coach Daronte Jones is no longer on staff. Jones was hired in 2018 to work for former head coach Marvin Lewis. Jones' contract expired at the end of the 2019 season, the first under new coach Zac Taylor. Bengals linebackers coach Tem Lukabu was recently named Boston College's defensive coordinator, while assistant Brayden Coombs was hired as the Detroit Lions' special teams coordinator.

15 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

AL Golden hires as LB coach, last year he was with the Lions.

I didn’t even know this guy coached anymore after his college coaching years. 

Not sure how this hire will be not like the LB have been great, so guess will see. I still want Wade Phillips damnit lol!!!!!

Another scrap heap hire for Taylor - can't imagine anyone reputable wants to come here any ways, at least until Taylor proves himself, which the jury is still way out on.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 12:12 AM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Another scrap heap hire for Taylor - can't imagine anyone reputable wants to come here any ways, at least until Taylor proves himself, which the jury is still way out on.

Unless a decent vet takes a season in the wings just waiting for Taylor to crash, burn, get fired and hey presto, your next HC is already on the staff

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a while since I have been on the board with any regularity, but the season is now over and I will try to get back into this.
I hope everyone here has been doing well !!

I still have the same feelings I had when I stepped away for a while, but it's the offseason where hope springs eternal.
They have yet another opportunity this offseason to really move the franchise in the right direction and i'm hoping and praying they move all in.
That being said, I honestly don't have much faith they will.

The biggest piece to me is going to be what they do in free agency outside of scrap heap additions and the dreaded "ROOKIE POOL" suckage of money.
Hopefully I don't incur the wrath of the "Rookie Pool" in my mere mention of it...

This season to me seems bigger in the fact they are more than likely going to take a QB #1 overall.  You have to build around that investment.
GO GET JUST ONE FREE AGENT O-LINEMAN TO PROTECT HIM AND FREE UP THE DRAFT.

• Like 1

Thanks Volcom, nice to be back around the chatter.

I've actually looked at the upcoming free agents and there isn't much in the LB group that is of interest or that fits the defensive scheme.
That being said, there are multiple O-linemen that are of interest to me and I hope the organization.