Official Joe Burrow Thread

cincyhokie

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28526248/still-early-process-bengals-brass-refutes-espn-report-saying-intend-deal-top-pick

"I don't know that any decision has been made for what we're going to do in April," Tobin told Bengals.com. "We're early in the process. We certainly haven't had any meetings to determine that at this point. Those will be meetings we'll have as we go through the process."

I am rather annoyed by "we *certainly* haven't had any meetings [yet]...". Why the hell not?

23 minutes ago, Stripes said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28526248/still-early-process-bengals-brass-refutes-espn-report-saying-intend-deal-top-pick

"I don't know that any decision has been made for what we're going to do in April," Tobin told Bengals.com. "We're early in the process. We certainly haven't had any meetings to determine that at this point. Those will be meetings we'll have as we go through the process."

I am rather annoyed by "we *certainly* haven't had any meetings [yet]...". Why the hell not?

You know, that actually doesn’t bug me. In fact, if you’re in camp “just take Burrow,” it’s probably a good sign.

When it comes to the offseason, the Bengals are fundamentally...well, lazy isn’t quite the right word, maybe more like “inert” in the sense of inertia. They’re naturally disinclined to be proactive, to getting out in front of needs and events. So, for example, when they have a big-name free agent, they’ll let them “test the market” rather than set it themselves. And when it comes to the draft, while they verrrry occasionally make a move, their natural inclination is just to sit back and take whoever falls to them.

Not trading the pick and taking Burrow is pretty much the path of least resistance. They can put forth literally no effort, call Joes name, and reap pundit and fan praise — and no doubt a spike in merch and ticket sales. So this is I think one time when the Bengals’ natural inclinations work in favor of what the vast majority of fans seem to want.

Mike Brown Tobin, and now Taylor as that presser he did seem to love Herbert, which makes me sick. I just don’t see him being that great QB, maybe I’m wrong but no thanks. The coaches seem to love the kid though. 

Hopefully it’s all smoke and they just draft Burrow then build the team around him, if not be prepared to lose a lot of fans, and attendance. 

18 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Mike Brown Tobin, and now Taylor as that presser he did seem to love Herbert, which makes me sick. I just don’t see him being that great QB, maybe I’m wrong but no thanks. The coaches seem to love the kid though. 

Hopefully it’s all smoke and they just draft Burrow then build the team around him, if not be prepared to lose a lot of fans, and attendance. 

You really need to chill. They are not taking Herbert #1 overall. There is going to be a lot of Herbert talk this week because he is in Mobile and Burrow is not and it doesn't mean anything. They are taking Burrow over Herbert. Seriously, relax. 

Herbert looked good in his Rose Bowl and has been a top of this class for a long time.   I would expect him to do well during the scouting portion of draft season.

Many mocks have him 3rd going high as 6 and as low as 14.    NFL starved media is needs to fill talk show radio and TV minutes.

Do the Bengals have any motivation in announcing their intentions in January?  I wouldn't think so. 

Agreed. IF the Bengals were picking 8th, I would be  hoping to snag him. 

At #1 - there's nothing to look twice at. This will be a lot of coverage this week because the Bengals coaches are literally with him. Once this week passes, that will all recede. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

GMAFB. So many team’s fans are going to be butthurt when Burrow goes #1 to the Bengals.

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Two things stand out to me in this Burrow-to-Saints speculation.

First, why would the Bengals be targeting a RB so hard when they have Mixon-Bernard? Why wouldn’t you want at least the Saints best OL. Do they really think the Bengals would sign Bernard to an extension only to have him on the bench behind Kamara?

Second, sure you get all of these picks but who is throwing the ball to them? A QB with the Saints 26th pick in the first? What QB is worth the 26th pick? Herbert, Tua, and Love will likely all be gone. Maybe Fromm too. Or you get a FA QB? Nice. Now you’ve just erased all the money saved by cutting Dalton.

None of this makes sense.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

lol,  relatives from Indy came into town today.   Colts are going to get that Burrow kid. 

On the Saints rumor:  Post draft conversation was the Bengals loved Michael Thomas in that draft and was their target AFTER the top WRs were gone.   They ended up with Boyd.

Draft trade rumors are fun and might as well have fun with it.   But, I have thought for a long time the Bengals need to get a QB out of this class because it is so strong.  Even back in the days of TC when people were contemplating trading with the Skins for Trent Williams.

It's hard to take a deal that drops the Bengals out of range for the top 3 QBs at this point.    Herbert is impressing at Senior Bowl which was predictable.  I think Tua eventually will impress once his workouts come about.    If I'm the Bengals the Saints would have to do a crazy deal like that Rumor suggests.   Kamara, Thomas and a bunch of picks.     I just haven't heard enough on Fromm, Eason, and Love to match the hype of Burrow and now what Herbert is getting so it's going to take a lot to move out of range for those 3 QBs at this point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

Two things stand out to me in this Burrow-to -Saints speculation.

First, why would the Bengals be targeting a RB so hard when they have Mixon-Bernard? Why wouldn’t you want at least the Saints best OL. Do they really think the Bengals would sign Bernard to an extension only to have him on the bench behind Kamara?

Second, sure you get all of these picks but who is throwing the ball to them? A QB with the Saints 26th pick in the first? What QB is worth the 26th pick? Herbert, Tua, and Love will likely all be gone. Maybe Fromm too. Or you get a FA QB? Nice. Now you’ve just erased all the money saved by cutting Dalton.

None of this makes sense.

It's complete BS.   A trade like that takes the Saints out of Brees going for a Superbowl.    So why would they do that? 

1. Thomas just signed an extension.  Saints would have $30m dead cap.  The cap hits are $15-$19m through 2025.  That's awesome for a major talent like that.

2. Mixon, Gio, Kamara?  -  The Gio contract is not big at all.   The biggest reality is Kamara and Mixon are from the same draft class so 1 one of them is not staying.  This is a neutral gain for the Bengals.   So I doubt they go for it because Mixon/Kamara would mean over $35m in cap space tied up in RBs keeping both.  Both are FA after this season.

3. As you note the trade takes them out of the big 3.    Although I think Fromm and Eason could easily be risers as draft evaluations proceed along.

4.Bengals could free up $18m not tagging AJ.  

5. The bunch of picks could fix the line and defense quickly in this class.     If you come back to Dalton which is what I think the thinking would be IF a  BS trade like this happened.   So basically fixing the line for Dalton.   Giving him Thomas, Kamara, mixed in with the rest.  I think AJ is out at that point.   Mixon is out.   Can you trade those 2?  

• Like 1

Yeah, the Kamara thing made zero sense to me as well. Bengals big needs outside QB are OL and LB and they are targeting RB in a trade? Um, ok.

And yes, the picks on offer are or would likely be low rounders, so we pass up all chance of a blue chip guy this year at least.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

That makes me happy.

The Saints thing is literally sports message board masturbation.

• Like 1

Replying to
Family source also tells me Joe Burrow would never “pull an Eli Manning” if drafted No. 1 by the #Bengals. The family has been a bit annoyed by that narrative.
  • Like 1

Bengals have had 2 QBs for about 16 seasons.  

Browns have had 20+ starting QBs.

I’m sure there are other franchises with poor QB drafting records. 

Yet, I’ve heard multiple media personalities rooting for Burrow to pull an Eli. 

The Colts basically ruined Luck.  Sure give them Burrow. 

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Bengals have had 2 QBs for about 16 seasons.  

Browns have had 20+ starting QBs.

I’m sure there are other franchises with poor QB drafting records. 

Yet, I’ve heard multiple media personalities rooting for Burrow to pull an Eli. 

The Colts basically ruined Luck.  Sure give them Burrow. 

Yep. The Bengals have enjoyed more QB stability than the majority of the league, so I can only roll my eyes at the constant "Cincinnati is a QB black hole" bullshit in the media. While this franchise is far from perfect and deserves plenty of criticism, most of what the talking heads have to say is either straight from 1997 or based upon some irrelevant nugget they remember seeing on Hard Knocks. Clueless.

His mentions on that tweet are BRUTAL. Mine included. He's so bad. If he were still with this team, I would worry. Thank god he's not. And thank god that coaching room has almost completely turned over since he left two years ago - I think only Simmons remains. 

• Like 1