AJ: If I get tagged I will sit out the offseason UPDATE AJ tagged

HoosierCat

19 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Um, hey Zac...
AJ's an unrestricted free agent, you need to have a better idea of how to solidify up that thought process long before September.

I’d take it as confirmation they’ll be using the tag.

ETA: in case anyone was wondering, the window to use the tag opens Thursday and closes March 12. So we could know very soon.

Currently that 18.5 million pays him as the #3 WR in the league. The average of the top 10 is 17,350,000 million before AJ’s tag.

Whenever I think AJ, I tend to think Fitzgerald. Larry is 5 years older than AJ but has still had some pretty productive seasons. Larry from 31-36 years old has put up almost 5000 receiving yards and 31 TD’s. 

If healthy this year, I’d have little problem with another 3-4 years of AJ in stripes.

• Like 1

They’ve been telegraphing it since the season ended: if they can’t get him signed to a long term deal, they’ll tag him.

Funny to read now that Joe Burrow wants him here.  What QB wouldn’t want to throw to this dude?  He catches everything.  

4 minutes ago, COB said:

They’ve been telegraphing it since the season ended: if they can’t get him signed to a long term deal, they’ll tag him.

Funny to read now that Joe Burrow wants him here.  What QB wouldn’t want to throw to this dude?  He catches everything.  

I have no idea what PFT is on about. Burrow was literally asked when he was at the podium if he would like to throw to AJ Green, and he said "sure!". Because he is not an idiot. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, membengal said:

I have no idea what PFT is on about. Burrow was literally asked when he was at the podium if he would like to throw to AJ Green, and he said "sure!". Because he is not an idiot. 

PFT is lame.  They are spinning it like Burrow demanded the Bengals retain AJ.  As a response, the Bengals are now franchising.    LAME.

They've been saying since the trade deadline and before....AJ Green going no where.

• Like 1

Yep, knew that was coming and don't blame them one bit.
I also understand the concerns with injuries in the past couple years and why the Bengals are probably a little concerned about the long term.

That being said, the clip makes mention that while he doesn't want Julio Jones or Michael Thomas money, he wants to be paid like one of the best.
What determines "one of the best" ??

Well, in looking at it from the perspective of the top 10 paid WR's this year, that average salary is about 17.5 million per year with an average of 33.5 million guaranteed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yep, knew that was coming and don't blame them one bit.
I also understand the concerns with injuries in the past couple years and why the Bengals are probably a little concerned about the long term.

That being said, the clip makes mention that while he doesn't want Julio Jones or Michael Thomas money, he wants to be paid like one of the best.
What determines "one of the best" ??

Well, in looking at it from the perspective of the top 10 paid WR's this year, that average salary is about 17.5 million per year with an average of 33.5 million guaranteed.

I don't know.   I think that's his way of saying HE wants Julio Jones money but realizes that's a  crazy demand for a player that hasn't logged a snap since November 2018. 

I just read the Bears are close to terms with Bridgewater.  Mike’s going to sit on his old useless ass and let the market settle until it settles so much there’s no place for Dalton to go.  This ownership is so fucking lazy, they seriously do not deserve devoted fans.  

1 hour ago, COB said:

I just read the Bears are close to terms with Bridgewater.  Mike’s going to sit on his old useless ass and let the market settle until it settles so much there’s no place for Dalton to go.  This ownership is so fucking lazy, they seriously do not deserve devoted fans.  

Huh?  It's been pretty clear they are willing to trade Dalton.   Bears probably think Teddy is a better option IF that's the path they go.

Personally,  I think Dalton would be better than Teddy. 

7 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Huh?  It's been pretty clear they are willing to trade Dalton.   Bears probably think Teddy is a better option IF that's the path they go.

Personally,  I think Dalton would be better than Teddy. 

Could be.  Also, it could be that the Bengals just didn’t return the Bears’ phone calls.  I’m not speculating completely, that’s what potential trade partners in the league said the Bengals did the last time they tried to engage the team in trade talks.  

I’ve done business with family owned entities that were being run by the very elderly patriarch and this is exactly how it always is.  Everything has to go through the old man.  He’s only at work a couple hours a day, and he’s usually very stubborn and set in his ways.  Underlings quit trying, they just go through the motions.  It’s  just too much trouble.  

• Like 1

One little note from Hobs: they used the non-exclusive version of the tag, so AJ can negotiate with other teams. If he reaches a deal the Bengals have five days to match. If they don’t they get 2 1st round picks. That will never happen, but just for the record.