Bengals @ Browns Game Thread

HoosierCat

To port over a conversation from the dalton thread:

me: I think 2-2 over the last four is quite doable. The team is the healthiest they’ve been all year, they’re under absolutely no pressure and three of the final four are against teams that are on their level.

That said I think even 3 wins gets them a top three if not top two pick.

mem: I am guessing the Browns will be out for blood. And their roster is better than ours. They will want to take it out on someone. They won't beat the Pats. They take one of the three against Cleveland, Cleveland, or Miami to get to 2-14.

Or the Browns continue to collapse. And I’m not sure that their roster is all that superior to the Bengals’ at the moment. 

Of course, it would also be oh so Bengals to have a letdown game after their one big win and get blown out by 40 points.

As stated in the other thread.   3-13 maybe 4-12.     Momentum and health are big factors in the NFL.

7 of the 11 Bengal losses came by a score or less.   Two recent losses many thought Bengals out played the opponent and with Dalton maybe they win.    They insert Dalton and boom get a lopsided victory.    I'm guessing at some point Ross and AJ return.  

Cleveland has been a disappointment all year.    Finally the battle of Ohio has switched to a "no win" for them.   If they beat Bengals twice it was expected.   If the games are close they'll get some "yeah but" analysis.   Drop 1 of the 2 games and they get more melt down analysis. 

On paper Cleveland should be able to run down the Bengal D's throats.    Flip side, Cleveland represents a pride factor for the Bengals D-line.   They played great against the Jets,  can say the shut down Bell.   Cleveland's o-line isn't good and the Bengals D could say they shut down Chubb and Hunt. 

Andy looked pretty sharp.  I can easily see them winning 3 or 4 games and blowing the whole thing.  Once in a while you get a chance like this.  Just once in a while.  Typical of the Bengals to blow it.  I desperately hope they win no more games, sorry but that's just the fan in me.  I want a good new quarterback.   

I anticipate 3-13 right now.  Split with Cleveland and beat Miami.  It's not ideal.

One saving grace may be that our [current] top competition in the draft order is the Giants. They're the Chase Young team if anyone is assuming they like the trajectory of Daniel Jones. That leaves the QB trio to Cincinnati, Miami, and Washington.

• Like 1

One factor potentially on Cleveland’s side this week is that they lost any margin for error in the playoff hunt losing to Pitt. Their chances are slim anyhow, they basically have to win out and get help, but a loss to Cincy pretty much sinks the ship.

Of course, sticking the knife in to the preseason Super Bowl champions has to have some appeal to the Bengals.

Hobs:

Safety Brandon Wilson, not only the NFL’s kick return leader but the Bengals third safety who has been pretty solid in the past two games he’s played 18 snaps each, surfaced at Wednesday’s practice with a club on his hand and went limited.

But Taylor made it sound like Wilson and right end Sam Hubbard (DNP with a knee issue) could play with a bit of handling. Special teams regular and back-up tight end Cethan Carter went limited Wednesday after missing last week with a concussion. He’ll probably go, but rookie tight end Drew Sample (ankle) was out and he’ll probably miss his fourth straight game.