Dalton Unbenched

HoosierCat

The big question is:  If Dalton wins a couple games? Looks good doing it?  Let’s say 3 offensive TDs in a game (shock)?

Do they forego a QB in the draft? 

You can see this coming:

Tag AJ (That somehow takes 60 mil cap room).  

Sign marginal LB.

Save rest for extending Dalton and others. 

Draft Chase Young.  2nd pick OL.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

The big question is:  If Dalton wins a couple games? Looks good doing it?  Let’s say 3 offensive TDs in a game (shock)?

You can see this coming:

Sign marginal LB.

Hey, at least it’s a choice. Probably not the right choice, but I can see the plan. Unlike this season, which has been a complete waste of time.

11 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

You can see this coming:

Sign marginal LB.

I still can't imagine a scenario that has them extending Dalton,  but Taylor's gotta be desperate, and I can see them keeping Dalton around for his final year, even if they draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

We’re about to unleash the Wrath of Dalton!  Beware, Jets defense!  Prepare to face an onslaught of 5 yard out patterns and bail out throws to the tight end, throws that are fueled by a white-hot thirst for vengeance, a bloodthirsty desire for vindication!  You will remember me, you’ll know me by the trail of semi on-target screen passes I’ll throw today!  My name is ANDY DALTON!! (now let’s have fun and play together).

19 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Dalton was good today.

Well it was like he was relaxed, he was out there just having fun. I think he felt the pressure of losing of a piss poor line, today he didn’t give a shit.

Amazing though what a half decent LT can do where he didn’t have to worry every play if he was going to get hit.

Good for him and congrats on him for passing Kenny on the all time TD list for the bengals.

• Like 1

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/01/andy-dalton-absolutely-wants-to-return-to-the-bengals-next-year/

(You know this is probably an actual conversation in the FO now. Ah, Hell. It’s such a lovely place this time of year.)

It just makes me wonder if something behind the scenes has happened with contract talks concerning Dalton.  

Dalton got benched for Finley (a 4th round pick).     If I were Dalton the worse case scenario for me would be entering TC on the last year of my deal with a shiny new No. 1 pick QB to groom.

Wouldn't be a bad deal for the Bengals, but for Dalton that would suck because you know at some point you are getting the bench unless you pull a 2003 Kitna. 

If I were Dalton I would seek a trade or hold out/retire threat.   Try to get my agent permission to seek a trade/new contract with new team.    OR have substantial contract extension talks with the bengals also talks about what the early part of the draft is going to provide.

So it makes me wonder if the extension and draft plan has been communicated to him. 

Dalton is a competent QB.   I just think extending his life with the Bengals over not taking another QB has already burned them.  Under Tobin/Marvin Qb was clearly removed from the draft board in early rounds.    

While I think a long-term deal for Dalton would be a mistake, I can see a not-too-unlikely scenario in which he comes back as starter in 2020:

Bengals win a few more games, enough that they drop out of the No. 1 overall draft pick. Let’s just say they end up at 2 or 3.

In this scenario, either the team ahead of them takes Burrow, or they trade the pick to someone who will. And for the record, I believe the chance that they get jumped for Burrow in this situation is 100%. (And the chance they make a move up to get him pretty much zero.)

With Burrow off the board, they take Tua. He gets to spend the year rehabbing and learning from the sideline, like Carson in 2003. Andy plays out his deal and Tua takes over in 2021.

If the Giants have the #1 overall pick, you can probably relax your worry about getting jumped - the Giants have their QB (they went weirdly all-in on Jones) and they historically LOVE to build on the defensive line and also historically have been very happy to draft tOSU players. If the Giants have #1 overall, they will stay put and take Young because they know if they trade out the Bengals would probably take him at 2. 

Top 3 pick gives you a shot at a consensus "franchise" player based on all the current draft rumblings.    Burrow, Chase Young, Herbert.      Then if Tua checks the boxes with his injuries he factor in there.

To me you walk away with Young, Tua, or Burrow in round 1, I'd have no complaints. 

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

Pretty hard at this point to fall below #2 - and even the Giants still have games with Washington and Miami. I think NY wins another one. Hard to see the Bengals finishing with 3 wins, frankly. 

I think 2-2 over the last four is quite doable. The team is the healthiest they’ve been all year, they’re under absolutely no pressure and three of the final four are against teams that are on their level.

That said I think even 3 wins gets them a top three if not top two pick.

I am guessing the Browns will be out for blood. And their roster is better than ours. They will want to take it out on someone. They won't beat the Pats. They take one of the three against Cleveland, Cleveland, or Miami to get to 2-14.

I would not be shocked at winning 2 of the last 4 or even 3 of the last 4.   I would be shocked with a win over New England or even keeping that within a score.

This sounds like moral victory stuff but that's not my point here.   7 out of 11 losses are by a score or less.   Two recent losses the Bengals out played Oakland and Pitt and many thought with Dalton those could have been victories.    They insert Dalton and win comfortably against the Jets (a team that was on a small win streak).

I assume Ross and AJ will be inserted into the line up at some point in the last 4 games.   They are running the ball better out of the bye week.   Defense is keeping the points off the board since Baltimore and just racked up their most complete game of the season. 

Just stay in the top 3 and please don't drop out of the top 5.   Might come down to strength of schedule tie breakers.

I'm going to guess 3-13.    The NFL swings a lot based on health and momentum.  Bengals have both now late in the year.

Bridge year from Dalton is a favorable scenario for the Bengals. 

Doesn’t really help Dalton as much.  

If Dalton could get a contract this year he’d easily make more than the $17.5 he’s scheduled to make.

I would have to think that’s where his and his agents loyalties lie. 

I’m more worried they extend Dalton and forego a QB. 

I’m intrigued by the Chase Young first then QB at 33. 

Dalton is competent enough QB that a team would trade for him.    The danger is also that he's competent enough that a risk adverse front office like we have in Cincinnati probably won't close the door completely on him.

Dalton is clearly a ton better than Finley and a decent starting NFL QB.   But there are moments in that Browns game that serve as reminder of why he'll never compete at an elite level.

• Like 1

After 9 years of starting he still makes the same mistakes, is woefully inconsistent one week to the next, one drive to the next etc..,  Coaching factors into things here, but with Dalton you're just waiting for the wheels to come-off late in games and when he's under any sort of consistent pressure.  He can't handle it, never has.

One of my fears is that they will keep him around to "help out" a new QB, which might not be such a good idea.  No need to poison the seedling.

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Dalton is competent enough QB that a team would trade for him.    The danger is also that he's competent enough that a risk adverse front office like we have in Cincinnati probably won't close the door completely on him.

Dalton is clearly a ton better than Finley and a decent starting NFL QB.   But there are moments in that Browns game that serve as reminder of why he'll never compete at an elite level.

Trying to think of which team would give him a shot: Miami? Jax? Tampa? Outside of the Florida teams, I'm not sure who would want him at this point - but agree with your sentiment.  I'm thinking he catches on somewhere as a back-up unless Miami or Jax want to give him a shot as a starter next year, but you gotta think Miami's looking at one of the top 3 Qb's as well.