Jets @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Jets have won 3 in a row.  They’ve scored 34 points in each of those wins, and they’ve allowed 14 points on average in those wins.  

Most illuminating, the Jets are not run by Mike Brown and his sycophantic offspring.

Take the jets, give the points, and be thankful you aren’t that dude living on the roof of his restaurant until the Bengals win. 

• Like 1

Looks like another loss, sign me up. Keep on losing, gentlemen.

Frankly, I am kinda impressed at the tanking. Gives me some hope they actually have a plan.  No way they have been starting Finley and seriously trying to win as a front office. Dalton easily wins the last two games. Glad they didn't go that route. Burrow close now.

42 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'd be impressed with the tanking if they had done the "trade away talent youre about to lose anyway" part that is a very important part of said process 

It's the Bengals...they don't do everything right, that's for sure. But starting Finley over Dalton? That's pure tanking behavior. 

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

It's the Bengals...they don't do everything right, that's for sure. But starting Finley over Dalton? That's pure tanking behavior. 

It’s Mike’s masterpiece.  Losing on purpose, he’s been building up to this moment his whole career.

Counterpoint: talent, coaching and leadership are all lacking and what looks like (if you squint hard enough) a strategy is just aimless flailing around. Not only is there no spoon, they don’t know what a spoon looks like, how to pronounce spoon, or what use a spoon would be if they had one. In the end, they may stumble into the top pick, but purely by accident, not design.

Probably. It can be two things. But I can't square starting Finley and Green's continuing absence with them trying their best to win as an organization. On some level, they are giving the best chance they can to losing each week - and have since the bye when they sat Dalton. They would be 2-9 right now if Dalton was under center the last three weeks...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, membengal said:

agreed, but its like having a job to mow the lawn and only mowing a quarter of the side yard.....theres so much more that needs to be done to get the job done properly

Still time to try and accumulate additional picks in March.

Frankly, I would not put it past this front office to have convinced themselves that the guts of a competitive team on offense are here IF they can get a real QB in place, and didn't deal what they should have because they want to run it back again next year but with Jonah Williams and AJ back and Burrow added to it...

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

Probably. It can be two things. But I can't square starting Finley and Green's continuing absence with them trying their best to win as an organization. On some level, they are giving the best chance they can to losing each week - and have since the bye when they sat Dalton. They would be 2-9 right now if Dalton was under center the last three weeks...

Yup. I suspect that, in so far as there is a plan, it was hatched during the bye week. At 0-8 the season was obviously lost, so there was no point in continuing to play Dalton. If Finley demonstrated he could be the answer, great, they would still have a high draft pick even with a few wins and could target some other spot. If not they’d have an even higher pick and could pick the QB of their choice.

Had they come to this conclusion earlier they might have been able to deal Andy and/or Green, but they didn’t and so here we are.

As for Green, my guess is that starting the season the idea was for him to return after the bye. But once they benched Dalton, Green saw no real benefit to getting back on the field, and the Bengals brass is content to let him sit. He’s always been a loyal soldier, always said the right thing, so if he wants to milk an injury during a lost season, he’s earned it.

• Like 1

I’m with you on Burrow, and would be very excited about him being the QB here. 

My only question is, is this coaching staff good enough to get the best out of him and everyone else. So far I have no trust in these guys at all, if they are trying to win games, well then his game planning is terrible.

Hopefully there is a plan out there, and we just don’t know what it is yet.

Mike Brown in March 2019 gave this about Andy.    Since that time QB change scenario's for the Bengals have been plenty.   When you work from this starting point then "Yes" you can say there seems like a plan.  

Posted by Charean Williams on March 27, 2019, 7:19 PM EDT 

The Bengals will not extend quarterback Andy Dalton‘s contract before the 2019 season, owner Mike Brown said, via Fletcher Page of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The team wants to see what Dalton does in new coach Zac Taylor’s offense.

“I think it’s a good year for him to show like he can, like we think he will,” Brown said. “After he re-establishes himself, we would want to get together with him and see if we can extend it.

In my mind they were 4-1 and a minute away from 5-1 last year.   So they took a shot at a quick turnaround.   The o-line fell apart and I'd have to say now Dalton is on the way out via trade.     If I think back to training camp my biggest question mark about the season was the reports from TC that the line was so bad that it would officially end the Dalton/Green era.    I think that's what is now happening. 

Going back to Dalton at this point would be proof that there is no plan.    I don't think they started off so bad with the intent to tank.  I think their personnel failures along the offensive line put them on that path.  

55 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Mike Brown in March 2019 gave this about Andy.    Since that time QB change scenario's for the Bengals have been plenty.   When you work from this starting point then "Yes" you can say there seems like a plan.  

In my mind they were 4-1 and a minute away from 5-1 last year.   So they took a shot at a quick turnaround.   The o-line fell apart and I'd have to say now Dalton is on the way out via trade.     If I think back to training camp my biggest question mark about the season was the reports from TC that the line was so bad that it would officially end the Dalton/Green era.    I think that's what is now happening. 

Going back to Dalton at this point would be proof that there is no plan.    I don't think they started off so bad with the intent to tank.  I think their personnel failures along the offensive line put them on that path.  

It’s amazing what a guy like Hue Jackson got out of Dalton that one year, and the unique things he did with the o-line/offense. 

He goes to Cleveland he sucks and is the worst coach ever. I always wanted Hue to come back, not as head coach, but as OC. Andy had a special connection with him, that he never had with anyone else. It really sucks he got hurt and Hue left so we never really got to know what would have happened. Now here we are Andy can’t win a game gets benched, and I’m sure will be traded. I bet in the right offense with a good OC and behind a great o-line Andy will look good again. Maybe I’m wrong, but I miss watching Dalton and Hue working together. I have no clue what I’m watching anymore when I see this team, but I know I don’t like it!

51 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Going back to Dalton at this point would be proof that there is no plan.    I don't think they started off so bad with the intent to tank.  I think their personnel failures along the offensive line put them on that path

I’m not seeing the “shot at a quick turnaround.” If you actually wanted a shot a quick turnaround, the best approach would be to NOT fire Lewis and his staff (who know these players inside and out) but do a get a new OC and be more aggressive than Preston Brown and Bobby Hart in FA. Instead, they opted for a whole new (and cheaper!) coaching staff, didn’t let them buy the groceries (as the saying goes) and stuck them with the old regime’s players, with whom they had no rapport. Predictably, that failed.

My assumption now is that, since “blow up the coaching staff but not the team” didn’t work, next will come “blow up the team but not the coaching staff.” This has as better chance of success, if you assume this coaching staff is any good, or at least will get better. That’s “citation needed,” as they say. But it’s all reacting to events at this point imo.

I think you take Chase Young, Tua or Joe with No.1 overall.      IF you trade down you don't want to go lower than 5, IMO.

Joe worries me a little bit because his stock has rocketed up this year.     The other guys have been there for a while.

The Chase Young, 2nd round QB daily double is tempting to me.    I just think the pool of QB talent that could be there is better than a normal year due to the changes in the NCAA transfer portal.    However, that might not stop teams from still creating a run on QBs before pick 33. 

14 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

It’s amazing what a guy like Hue Jackson got out of Dalton that one year, and the unique things he did with the o-line/offense. 

He goes to Cleveland he sucks and is the worst coach ever. I always wanted Hue to come back, not as head coach, but as OC. Andy had a special connection with him, that he never had with anyone else. It really sucks he got hurt and Hue left so we never really got to know what would have happened. Now here we are Andy can’t win a game gets benched, and I’m sure will be traded. I bet in the right offense with a good OC and behind a great o-line Andy will look good again. Maybe I’m wrong, but I miss watching Dalton and Hue working together. I have no clue what I’m watching anymore when I see this team, but I know I don’t like it!

I would have taken Hue.   I just wanted an offensive minded HC.     Maybe Hue is better than 0-11 right now but what would he be 3-8? 4-7?.     Either one wouldn't be good considering his Cleveland reputation.  

Hue should have never taken that Cleveland job where there was a much more obvious attempt to tank. 

• Like 1

Losing Hue sucked. His offensive was fun to watch, even when it was doing outlandish stunts like rolling the tackles out wide. Or maybe especially because of that.

Heck, ever Jay Gruden looks pretty good in hindsight, though we were all pretty tired of his offense at the time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Losing Hue sucked. His offensive was fun to watch, even when it was doing outlandish stunts like rolling the tackles out wide. Or maybe especially because of that.

Heck, ever Jay Gruden looks pretty good in hindsight, though we were all pretty tired of his offense at the time.

Yea I miss it.