Bengals @ Raiders Game Thread

HoosierCat

Are they really going to go 0-16? Jesus Christ, we were just laughing about how at least we're not the Browns.  I never thought one or two key injuries would = 0-8.  I'm 50 years old, I cannot remember a season this bad, not even the 2000 year with Akili - at least he gutted-out a win or two and beat the Browns. 

The Raiders' are a decent team, so I would expect another beat down.  I just, have never seen an NFL team that is this bad - they are worse than the 0-32 Browns or whatever, these games aren't even competitive, let alone remotely interesting.  It was funny for a while, now it's just pathetic.

If I'm Taylor, I'm thinking exit strategy, to save his long-term career options, because if he doesn't do some drastic stuff this off-season and force MB to comply, he is going to join the long list of coaches in the Bengals' career graveyard and will be watching games at home on Sundays with Hue Jackson.

Yet when I hear garbage like "we like the guys that we have," I realize that cat is in way over his head and doesn't know what he's doing.

After a 49-13 thrashing 0-16 should remain on the table as a possibility until they actually win one.

At risk of polishing at turd; I was shocked about how much movement they got in the run game vs. the Raven Defense.  Still miles away from decent run blocking but way more movement they had except for the opening drive vs. Zona.   If that continues then they could win 1. 

However,  2 defensive scores from a rookie QB this week and I would expect more mistakes to come that could undermine any game.   The defense also seems incapable of stopping anyone.

As far as Taylor.   He's got enough connections to coach post Bengals whenever that comes.   He may never get another shot at NFL HC but a lot of guys never get another chance so he's probably best trying to make do.     Same with Tobin.   He's got enough connections and resume to continue but will he ever get to the level again of other teams asking him to interview for GM spots? 

10 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

After a 49-13 thrashing 0-16 should remain on the table as a possibility until they actually win one.

At risk of polishing at turd; I was shocked about how much movement they got in the run game vs. the Raven Defense.  Still miles away from decent run blocking but way more movement they had except for the opening drive vs. Zona.   If that continues then they could win 1. 

However,  2 defensive scores from a rookie QB this week and I would expect more mistakes to come that could undermine any game.   The defense also seems incapable of stopping anyone.

As far as Taylor.   He's got enough connections to coach post Bengals whenever that comes.   He may never get another shot at NFL HC but a lot of guys never get another chance so he's probably best trying to make do.     Same with Tobin.   He's got enough connections and resume to continue but will he ever get to the level again of other teams asking him to interview for GM spots? 

I hear you, but I think his "connections" in the league are overrated and consist of a small circle of people related to his family ties - but yeah he won't go hungry or anything.

I was also surprised the running game improved, Mixon up to a 3.8 ypc from 2.9 i believe, but yeah the defense seems to have just quit and the big talent holes at LB are making them one of the worst in NFL history at this point.  I've never seen a defense this bad, especially given the fact that, except for LB, they have talent there that should at least do "something."

Vigil will now be remembered for getting juked off his feet on the Lamar Jackson run.  Feel bad for him, but he shouldn't be a 3-down NFL starting LB anywhere in this league.

Mike used to be able to scrimp or ignore necessary upgrades.  Those days are over.  With the amount of film study, if you have a glaring weakness it will be identified and thoroughly exploited.  

Example - young QBs hardly get a chance to develop their games anymore.  Once there is some film on them, the defenses force them into the weakest part of their game and they get abused so badly they get pushed out before they can even learn the skills they’re lacking.  

Our linebackers are depth guys, they shouldn’t even be starters.  100% guarantee the opposing O Coordinators are scheming to force us into sets where our LBs are supposed to make the play.

Mike is running this team like it’s 1978.  Hopeless.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

If 0-16 is what it takes to make sure they draft a QB ......... then 0-16 I shall root for.

Do ya know, I'm not sure they would draft a QB even if they do go 0-16

There's far too many holes to plug with the 2020 draft alone even if you take QB off of the table.  O-line - ok we have Jonah Williams who will be the equivalent of an extra first round pick, but we still need another 2, 3,or 4 decent O-linemen. How many DE's do we need? How many LBs? Another CB, another WR ???

The only way to turn this thing around and start becoming a competitive team next season, assuming we still have the bulk of the current coaching staff in situ,  is via an aggressive Free Agency. .....Don't hold your breath. 

@ Oakland i= one step nearer 0-16 

Lamar Jackson is proving that type of talent covers a lot of holes.   Baltimore is moving towards it's 2nd division title.   Flacco would not have had them there.

Baker Mayfield is proving that getting a Lamar Jackson talent isn't easy.  

No matter how you structure it.  Previous draft picks have to become productive and they have to hit on late round picks higher than the typical success rate and of course higher than their current success rate.

I think you can make need/talent arguments for QB first and foremost.   There's a couple bookend tackles.   Then there's Chase Young. 

42 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

Do ya know, I'm not sure they would draft a QB even if they do go 0-16

There's far too many holes to plug with the 2020 draft alone even if you take QB off of the table.  O-line - ok we have Jonah Williams who will be the equivalent of an extra first round pick, but we still need another 2, 3,or 4 decent O-linemen. How many DE's do we need? How many LBs? Another CB, another WR ???

The only way to turn this thing around and start becoming a competitive team next season, assuming we still have the bulk of the current coaching staff in situ,  is via an aggressive Free Agency. .....Don't hold your breath. 

@ Oakland i= one step nearer 0-16 

Just because they have a ton of holes to fill doesn't mean they should look anywhere other than QB if they are picking 1st or 2nd overall. That is the prime spot to take a swing at a position that can change a franchise's direction. Hardest thing to find in this league is a difference maker at QB. Best odds at finding that person are taking one as early as possible. Spin that wheel. No guarantees, of course, but I would rather take the chance than be timid and sit out the spin.

• Like 2

Fans that are against drafting the QB typically sway too far towards the QB is just a victim/victor of it's surrounding cast.   

I'm not sure there's any more risk of failure in drafting a QB vs. another position but the failures are highly publicized over periods of years.  In public opinion QBs go through phases of scrutiny so it's hard to measure a "true" bust.    There are some people that would consider Dalton a bust from the 2nd round despite him starting and making the playoffs several years.   

I often hear other fans claim Bengals can't find a QB despite their last 2 major picks being multi season playoff qualifiers, and pro bowl players for them.    Then having other 3 late round QBs serve as back ups or fringe starters and their careers are out lasting the typical player drafted in those rounds.   (Driskel, Fitz, and McAaron).    This is without a conclusion on Rhino Piston

But ultimately you got to find multiple players in a draft and then get them on the field.   That's is what has got to happen.   A high pick QB could come in here like Lamar Jackson but it's unlikely.   So they are going to have to fill needs elsewhere.   OR if they use the top pick elsewhere then they'll need Finley or later QB pick to pan out.

Either way they need players everywhere.

20 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Dunno about the rest of you guys but that picture just screams “DONE” to me.

I don't think so.   Could end up that way,  but there's video of him working out during pregame last week.   I just don't think you are doing that rehab work on Sunday morning pregame IF it's already determined you aren't playing this season.     Doing the elastic resistance jumping pre game hints at they are trying to determine how it will respond through out a game.