Report: Dalton Benched

HoosierCat

Finley is a human sacrifice to make it look like Mike is doing something.  Leave it to Mike, the big move at the trade deadline is something that requires no work or effort on his end.  It also is a simple enactment of his philosophy (promote from within, play the players you draft, pay as you go), which to this point has been a big failure.

It’s kind of like Mike going, “Hey, we’re doing something different now (really we’re doing the exact same thing we’ve always done)”

It’s a PR move, otherwise they wouldn’t have announced it and given the other team 2 weeks notice on which QB to prepare for.  They’d have kept their mouths shut, and given themselves a bit of a competitive advantage.  Kind of like Andy Reid running Mahomes out in practice just to make the other guys spend time on him for a couple days.  We could have done something like that, but instead, BENGALS.

• Like 1

While I really don't care, the guy's set for life and had a decent career, yeah, very "Bengals-like" way of handling it.  They continually alienate players and subvert morale, and expect great results.  His poor play sort of determined the timing though as well,  I don't think he ever really holds himself accountable, never a "I need to play better" quote from him that I remember, just a poor leader on and off the field from what I can tell.  No issues with anything he said though.

He'll get picked-up next year when they release him in the off-season, he'll just have to wait.  I'm just glad/hopeful the Dalton era is finally over with for good, enough already.

39 minutes ago, COB said:

Finley is a human sacrifice to make it look like Mike is doing something.  Leave it to Mike, the big move at the trade deadline is something that requires no work or effort on his end.  It also is a simple enactment of his philosophy (promote from within, play the players you draft, pay as you go), which to this point has been a big failure.

It’s kind of like Mike going, “Hey, we’re doing something different now (really we’re doing the exact same thing we’ve always done)”

It’s a PR move, otherwise they wouldn’t have announced it and given the other team 2 weeks notice on which QB to prepare for.  They’d have kept their mouths shut, and given themselves a bit of a competitive advantage.  Kind of like Andy Reid running Mahomes out in practice just to make the other guys spend time on him for a couple days.  We could have done something like that, but instead, BENGALS.

I don't know, I wouldn't give MB that much credit.  I think he'd prefer to "not" eat his salary while a player geting paid that much sits on the bench.   

I think this was a Taylor decision/demand, and I've said from the get-go that Taylor is going to want "his guy" at QB sooner or later,  being a former QB, he's not going to tolerate an inherited, mediocre QB very long, regardless of how good/bad a coach he is I think.

A rookie coach facing an 0-8 record is going to start doing things to try and save his proverbial ass.  Not having a QB who is literally blowing games for you is one thing he can do, not that Finley is giong to fare much better ultimately, but you can't have a 9 year vet out there doing stupid things every week forever.  I wanted Dalton replaced in 2017, just stupid we had to wait this long for it to finally happen.  Utterly sick of watching him, wish him the best as a human being, but I'm not really feeling all that sorry for him either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

As you might expect, there’s one especially unhappy player. And (stunner!) it sounds like the Bengals half assed things so there was no real opportunity for a trade.

Sorry Dalton, but cry me a river.    You were a good decent QB for the Bengals.   Great to the fans.   Didn't get it done, period.

Who cares what he agrees with or how he feels?    He choked away winnable playoff games in 2013 (Chargers) and 2014 (Colts).   The organization awarded him with a contract extension in Spring 2014.     His best season ended unfairly to him in 2015.     But this organizations loyalty to him has them holding the bag of a mediocre QB that simply will never win with this organization given the current talent level.   The Bengals loyalty to Marvin and Dalton has cost them chances at players that look like generational talents at the position  Watson, Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson.

If the 9ers can boot Joe Montana then sorry Dalton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

The Bengals never do anything right, they are such a joke when it comes to these things.

What?   Dalton choked away the Chargers playoff game.    They awarded him with a contract extension the next spring.  He awarded them with an awful 2014 and another choke job in the playoffs.   There's nothing for Andy to complain about.

They don't owe him anything.   I hope and wish they can trade him in the offseason but IF they want him to come back and usher in a young QB.   He should be thankful to do it.

The Bengals did nothing wrong in this situation.   His team sucks.  The line is a disaster AND Dalton has been horrible this year.    All of this can be true and he does own partial responsibility for the team's record. 

I’m not mad about the benching of Dalton it was going to happen he has not been the same QB for awhile. I think sometimes it’s just about how the bengals handle there players, and when they do it. 

Its whatever anymore lose the games draft a first RD QB time to rebuild anyways.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Happy birthday Andy!

The season just got 25% more interesting than it already wasn't.

I'm ready to watch somebody else flounder after 8+ years, but hopefully somebody better than Driskel was for God's sakes.  Remember he was a preseason champ too for a while.    Yet he reminded of a poor man's Dalton.  Finley strikes me as someone who can work in a pocket better and take care of the ball, maybe avoid some sacks in the pocket, something Dalton and Driskel were terrible at.

Outside of that, I suspect that top 5 pick next year will be a QB regardless.

I’m going to count how many times Finley gets batted at the line of scrimmage.  Even if he sucks at everything else, he could get that.

• Like 1

They are at such a crossroads for the future.    On one hand you want Finley to have success because that opens up the draft board.   However too much success can move them out of prime draft spot.     Also the NFL is filled with young Qbs getting white hot over a small sample only to return to their back up or marginal status.    Dalton had those extremes and leveled off into a decent QB.    Too much false success could convince them to pass on a college QB with bigger upside.    But Chase Young looks awesome and unblockable.   It would be nice to grab the best book end tackle in back to back years. 

Immediate impact QB do exist.  See Lamar Jackson.  Mahomes. Watson.   Save KC although I don't think they are nearly as good without Mahomes Houston and Baltimore would be marginal to bad football teams without those QBs.

I have no idea.   Coming out of the 4th round you don't think you are getting a multi year top half starter at QB much less a franchise QB.   Despite that,  Finley will be up against it and a logical argument says this guy doesn't stand a chance even with the returning injured players.     I set the bar low.   If at any point he can lead 3 touchdown drives in a single game then maybe you have something.    If that happens is that something big enough to pass on one of the conventional top QBs? 

Dalton has had a season full o' turd - bad passes, bad o-line, bad play calling.

Time to evaluate Finley to see what ya got - it'll either be a player of substance (compared against the same scenario Dalton has had this season), or your No.1 pick is going QB

If the committee is looking for a statement win from me, they need look no further than today.  I walked into my local library, carrying four books that I discovered were overdue a couple months ago.  After two months of riding around in the back seat of my truck, the stars aligned and I was ready to return them. 

When I walked into the library, it was immediately apparent that the game was afoot.  The librarian at the circulation desk was dead zeroed in on me.  She goes, "Oh, I'll take those!" in the fakest cheerful librarian voice of all time.  What a weak move on her part.  Like I don't know her whole game is to grab the books, scan the first one to determine how outrageously overdue they all are, then deploy Disapproving Stare. 

I countered with  Deferential Brush Off, "Oh I've got it, the slot is right here." as if I just don't want to put her out.  I fired the books into the book return slot and smiled my fakest smile right back at her.  If she wanted to bust me, she was going to have to be brazen about it and go pick the books out of the bin before I could escape.  Ha ha!  I wasn't born yesterday. 

She gave me this sad, pouty smile that lets me know she's feeling sorry for me, then says, "You know, we went fine free several months ago!" 

Yes I know that you hateful goblin, on the third day after you guys went fine free, you checked in like 14 overdue books from me, one of which was over 3 years overdue, and you said, "19 months to read 'Animal Husbandry Basics' hmm?"  What a blatant violation of librarian/patron privilege.  You could practically hear the snickering from the shelving girl who was loading the books onto her cart as evil librarian checked them in.  No bitch, it didn't take 19 months to read.  It took three evenings to read, 5 weeks to sit on my nightstand, like a year to lay on the floor between the nightstand and the bed after it fell off said nightstand, then an extended period of back and forth between the kitchen table and the counter, a side trip to the top of the fridge, then finally it arrived here, and by the way I went to high school with your new husband Ben and he's seriously the dumbest person I ever met, like he's almost retarded but somehow slipped through the cracks.

Anyway I said, "Fine free now is it?  That's great!"  

Naturally I walked out of there like a fucking boss.  In your fucking face, Licking County Public Library System!

• Like 1

Much like Driskel vs. Dalton.   The first thing that jumps to my mind immediately watching Finely vs. Dalton is that Finley is a better athlete in the pocket and getting out of the pocket.      The guy seems to be able to move and then reload much better than Dalton.    That is a significant weak point of Dalton so is what we are seeing from Finley good enough or just looks that way given a low bar? 

As far Finley being a reliable starter?   Have no clue.   Bad pick 6.  Then sack, scoop and score tri-fecta certainly aren't good.     Just have to see if this guy can put more that 13 points on the board and avoid mistakes that cost his team a chance a winning (Yes, I know the defense gave them no chance) the rest of the year.

The thing that struck me as odd was Mixon going for 100 rushing yards.   Very surprising.   Not great run blocking but significantly better vs. the last game.   Line still can't hold blocks in the run game but at least there was movement.    Prior game was like running into a brick wall.    I wonder what sparked that. 

43 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

The thing that struck me as odd was Mixon going for 100 rushing yards.   Very surprising.   Not great run blocking but significantly better vs. the last game.   Line still can't hold blocks in the run game but at least there was movement.    Prior game was like running into a brick wall.    I wonder what sparked that. 

Two weeks of rest and getting some guys back from injury, I’d guess.