Report: Dalton Benched

HoosierCat

Happy Birthday Andy!!

No but I do feel bad for the guy, this o-line was trash and has been for awhile. They never gave him the o-line needed to be good the last few years. However he did just enough to help win some big games and make be a Bengals fan fun again after that whole Palmer deal, so thank you.

As much as I feel bad, it was probably time, it’s just time to move on, time to start over. I guess see if Finley is anything if not then draft that 1st round QB. Let the rebuild begin!

I imagine AJ is not happy about this or may even want out for sure now? He and Andy are very close, so will be interesting.

I hope Dalton is never fully appreciated by this fan base!  What?  He's one of my favorite Bengals but his removal from having a lock on the QB position is long overdue, IMO.

Boomer had higher highs but left on a severe down turn.   He was blamed and booed.    Then on Anthony Munoz's retirement game he came back in and got a standing ovation because we saw the shit show surrounding him wasn't his fault.   In 1997 he returned and gave us a wonderful 2nd half of the season.

Because of this;  If we are sitting back and recognizing that Dalton was actually pretty good....then we are fucked.    To fully realize this means we would have been witness to a melt down at the QB position following Dalton.

I doubt Finley does much this year.   I hope he take the job and runs with it.   

I would guess there's an offseason trade coming for Dalton.  I guess there's a chance for him to return but really my TC fears are realized.   I was thinking 6/7 win team but the reports of the O-line being so bad I was worried that they would usher in the end of Dalton/Green.

Dalton's line has sucked since 2015.  It really shows his limitations as a QB.  Every QBs performance is effected by line play, but some are able to generate plays behind catastrophic lines.

Also Zac Taylor could be a shitty coach, but it had to happen.  First Lewis.  Now Dalton.    Tobin has to hit on his replacements (doesn't look good so far) and if he doesn't then Katie and Troy need to be prepared to act like a real NFL team and make changes and suffer the change and challenges that go along with them. 

I am and will remain a Dalton fan, but I have been calling for them to play **ALL** of their younger players - including Finley and Dolegala - since about week 4 or so, and as such this was the first good move I have seen them make this season. Like AJ, Dalton deserves better.....I hope he is traded to a contender for a r3 or better pick.

I wouldn’t be in a rush to trade him unless it was a stupid huge deal. He might have more value come draft day.

i also wouldn’t be in a rush to trade him because we may need him due to injury. If you think other teams were teeing off on Dalton, wait until week 10.

11 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

They should be thinking of trading Dalton NOW, no need to hold on to him to trade him later.  He can help make some team better. Bengals need draft picks get what you can for these guys. 

Unless some one blows your doors off today with an offer; the only real deadline is draft day.  

If he’s a Bengal after draft day then he’s going into TC

I’m not against trading anyone.  I am against the current narrative going around that if you don’t trade by 4 it’s a disaster.

So I watched some of the Zac Taylor presser and I learned:

1. That the team is 0-8 isn’t Andy’s fault.

2. That Andy gives them the best chance to win.

3. Finley is starting so they can evaluate him against a real defense.

Well, points for honesty, I suppose. It’s a rare head coach who admits that his post-bye schedule amounts to an 8-game preseason.

I have to think that means he has assurances from the FO that even 0-16 doesn’t get him fired.

So it’s not that there is no talent on this offense, Mixon, Gio, Boyd, Ross, Green, Tate, Eifert, Uzamha there is plenty of talent there to do something. The o-line sucks so bad, but there is talent here to win games so question is why? Defense sucks, or maybe it’s the awful game planning?

So maybe in this bye week they should throw everything away and start over it has not worked so far. Do some better game planning please. To me whoever the QB is here this year and next, there is talent there, just start replacing this o-line and the defense please!

My strategy heading into the draft:  Target a team with stupid ownership, like the Redskins, the Dolphins, the Jets, etc.  Then package Dalton and AJ together.  Extoll their virtues.  Tons of chemistry, both have been pro bowlers and have lead teams to the playoffs.  No learning curve needed, they’re a plug and play duo.  Their sum total together is worth more than the two individuals separately.  It’s a ready-made passing offense.  All we want is your first and second this year, your second and third next year, and your starting tackle.  Done!  We go into this draft with our left tackle hole filled, two firsts and two seconds, and we don’t have to watch Andy throw 50 passes a year into the forearms of pass rushers.  

• Like 1

Happy birthday Andy!

The season just got 25% more interesting than it already wasn't.

I'm ready to watch somebody else flounder after 8+ years, but hopefully somebody better than Driskel was for God's sakes.  Remember he was a preseason champ too for a while.    Yet he reminded of a poor man's Dalton.  Finley strikes me as someone who can work in a pocket better and take care of the ball, maybe avoid some sacks in the pocket, something Dalton and Driskel were terrible at.

Outside of that, I suspect that top 5 pick next year will be a QB regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Happy birthday Andy!

The season just got 25% more interesting than it already wasn't.

I'm ready to watch somebody else flounder after 8+ years, but hopefully somebody better than Driskel was for God's sakes.  Remember he was a preseason champ too for a while.    Yet he reminded of a poor man's Dalton.  Finley strikes me as someone who can work in a pocket better and take care of the ball, maybe avoid some sacks in the pocket, something Dalton and Driskel were terrible at.

Outside of that, I suspect that top 5 pick next year will be a QB regardless.

Could be. Of course, if you’re a bitter, cynical fan like me, you might put on your Mike Brown glasses and see that $17 million Dalton is set to earn next season and the roughly equal amount it would take to tag AJ, set that next to the whopping $3 million Finley will cost through 2022 and the roughly $30 million over four years it would cost to sign a first round WR like Jeudy and think, hey, my bank account IS feeling a little light lately,..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Could be. Of course, if you’re a bitter, cynical fan like me, you might put on your Mike Brown glasses and see that $17 million Dalton is set to earn next season and the roughly equal amount it would take to tag AJ, set that next to the whopping $3 million Finley will cost through 2022 and the roughly $30 million over four years it would cost to sign a first round WR like Jeudy and think, hey, my bank account IS feeling a little light lately,..

And because of that scenario, I sort of hope Finley doesn't fare well enough to give them false hopes, which he shouldn't,  but I guess we'll see.  

• Like 1

Sounds like some of the players are not happy about this at all. Makes me wonder if this is a move where players now won’t respect Zac Taylor as a coach, and this team becomes lost between players and coaches.

I will agree with this is not even close to Andy’s fault. We all know his limitations that is accuracy down the field is terrible, but the guy has not been given very good teams as of late. I will still remember the year Hue was his OC this team was awesome to watch it was like he was a different player. Sucks his time on this team will end like this he deserved much better, and this team failed to build a team around him for a few years now!

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the players were upset. It’d only be natural. If Finley ends up being an improvement and gets a couple wins, I expect most of that will dissipate. OTOH if the losses keep piling up and it looks like another new QB in 2020, that’s when guys historically have started eyeing the exits.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

Sounds like some of the players are not happy about this at all. Makes me wonder if this is a move where players now won’t respect Zac Taylor as a coach, and this team becomes lost between players and coaches.

I will agree with this is not even close to Andy’s fault. We all know his limitations that is accuracy down the field is terrible, but the guy has not been given very good teams as of late. I will still remember the year Hue was his OC this team was awesome to watch it was like he was a different player. Sucks his time on this team will end like this he deserved much better, and this team failed to build a team around him for a few years now!

Benching of Dalton is just the figure head move of what we expected/feared in TC.    Zac having a Marvin like 2003 season was a pipe dream in retrospect.   The talent isn't there and it's almost laughable when comparing the offensive side of the ball to the team Marvin got in 2003.   Mike Brown took a lot of heat with the retention of Brat and Alexander but probably was 100% correct on that and may saved Marvin some disgruntled problems in the early going.

We know it won't take much for Cordy Glenn to be disgruntled.  But who cares?  Aside from Jonah Williams is there anyone worth worrying about losing at this point along the o-line?   Maybe Hopkins?     John Jerry, Andre Smith, Redmond, the longer these bodies stay points to continued problems of the organization trying to build an offensive line.

The defense just has to look in the mirror.    They've been run over.   Linebackers are a hole as feared but the D-line can't hide anymore.  They suck.

William Jackson and Hubbard are guys I would worry about their attitude, don't want to lose them.     Lawson?  Bates?  Do those guys play?     Dunlap and Atkins aren't making plays.   Dre Kirkpatrick and Dez?   Quality CBs but Dre isn't irreplaceable at that cap hit. 

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the players were upset. It’d only be natural. If Finley ends up being an improvement and gets a couple wins, I expect most of that will dissipate. OTOH if the losses keep piling up and it looks like another new QB in 2020, that’s when guys historically have started eyeing the exits.

If Finley pulls a Jeff Blake, a Boomer.   Guys will gravitate towards him most assuredly.

IF it happens.   The thing you have to fear is what Cleveland has seen for decades.    For whatever reason QBs can get white hot for a season sometimes and then just be dog ass horrible the remainder.   All those Cleveland QBs did was push them down the draft board and then get caught up in some QB war. 

I'd like to see Finley do well but we need to be drafting in the top 5 as well.    Then you got critical moves to make and hit on.

• Like 1