Serious Question About the Front Office Mindset

cincyhokie

5 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

So my whole point in this original post is to point out the inevitability of change. Do we REALLY think that the Bengals could smoothly pack up and transition into a brand new city or area? The Bengals? Because, you know, they are so good at change and being adaptable. But if they had to they would. But if they stay in Cincinnati they'll have to change too. This is more theory than anything, but this city is  changing. How we consume sports is changing. The sporting options in the city is expanding.

I just don't think that businesses, regardless of the type, have the convenience of sitting on their heels and milking a cash cow with minimal effort or risk anymore. The world is becoming too transparent. People aren't putting up with BS anymore. At least, not like they used to.

I'm actually optimistic that things will get better. Maybe not right now or next year, but they will change. Forget winning. We'll at least take change. Because with change comes hope. 

Eh,  Bengal fans are in this cycle.   Bengals win= Franchise Changed.    Likeable/Predictable draft pick= Franchise Changed.     Losing returns and all of sudden Mike Brown has returned and the Offensive Line coach has direct control over the draft board and check book.    To me that's a clear scenario of frustrated fans looking for easy fixes.

Reality is the Bengals didn't try too hard in the 90s.   They never apologized.  Then the took their sweet ass time changing.  Then in after 2010 Mike Brown removed himself as farthest he's ever been from roster decision.    Can I prove any of this?  No.    But when they were winning there was all sorts of stuff written about how the franchise changed.

Funny.    Losing returns and so does the 90s perception.

I think the Bengals could easily pack up and move.  I don't think that they will or that they want to.     I think all this conversation is entertaining but it's boogey man stuff.   Mike Brown coming to get you! 

At the same time I have little faith their current method to their madness will result in a Super Bowl either.   Not because it's how the operated in the 90s (being cheap so they could get majority ownership) but because it's not quick enough and relies on all the pieces coming together too much.    I think in certain years you have to be willing to go cash over cap and risk having more dead cap space in the future.  I just don't think you can draft at a level high enough to sustain a performance long enough for all the pieces to come together. 

I think the period we just went through shows it.   Great rosters.   They suffered key injuries,  bad calls, and mostly choked.   

28 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Eh,  Bengal fans are in this cycle.   Bengals win= Franchise Changed.    Likeable/Predictable draft pick= Franchise Changed.     Losing returns and all of sudden Mike Brown has returned and the Offensive Line coach has direct control over the draft board and check book.    To me that's a clear scenario of frustrated fans looking for easy fixes.

In the cycle of rinse and repeat, each time through the cycle, things get a bit more faded, or jaded in this case. 

2003-2006 was great. The stands were packed. The optimism was high. In 2009 the team couldn't even sell out the playoff game. Then 2010 happened. 

But then the miracle of 2011 when Palmer forced the hand of the Front Office. They had to reset and get a new QB. Things drastically shifted. From 2011-2015 it was success again! But the stands weren't quite as full as before and they would still struggle to get fan involvement. 

All of it culminated with the thud of the 2015 playoff game and a year later with the disintegration of the offensive line. 

The Bengals have burned up a lot of that equity they've built since 2003. Don't think that it'll be so easy to fool the fans again into "this time it's different!" 

The Bengals are digging their own grave and are too stubborn, and or ignorant, to give a damn. And it's not even about results. It's about reaching out to fans, transparency, connecting. Growing some hope for the fanbase. They do none of that. And really it's sad because it's the only thing in their control.