Jaguars @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

The Gardner Minshew Experience rolls into town. This a dangerous game, as the 2-4 Jags are also a bad team, but I have faith that our guys can pull out the L.

Jets somehow beat the Cowpokes today, so it’s just us and the fish still in goose egg territory. We retain the SoS advantage and thus the first pick. Here’s hoping the Bills crap the bed against Miami next weekend!

It is looking like a very good year at QB. But conventional wisdom seems to be that there’s two top prospects, Tua and Justin Herbert. They’re likely to be gone in the first three picks, if not the first two via trades. There a a few other first round possibilities, but they’re mid to late rounders right now, tho of course the great draft hype machine has yet to get going. Complicating matters is Andrew Thomas, the Georgia OT who looks to be the first non-QB off the board. Him and Williams would go a loooooong way toward fixing the LOLine...but that means more Andy. Bottom line, if you want to guarantee they move on, they need one of the top 2 picks. If you want a lineman, hope for 3.

Of course, the Bengals will probably end up around 5 or 6 and take WR Jerry Jeudy.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Is the top rated college qb significantly better than the 2nd rated one?

I dont follow college football but am hearing that there are multiple excellent qbs to be had

It’s a supposed loaded QB draft.   There could be 4 with top 10 grades but that season there’s a lot of up and downs

Judging by mock drafts there are two top 10 tackles and two top 10 QBs.

History suggests when there is a sure fire QB locked in at 1 this early there will be an early run on QBs in the first.   

The bengals could 2011 this draft by going  opposite and find a quality QB in 2nd round.

The wild card could be Washington.  They took a poor prospect in Haskins too early. Are they willing to cut bait this early? 

I think most Ohio Stars fans, who watch and follow both the college and pro games, we’re able to remove the blinders and honestly say they didn’t think much of Haskins as a pro QB.

While absolutely loving him in Columbus, I wanted nothing to do with him in stripes.

Just goes to show what can happen when stepping up in level of play. Look at Mariotta and Winston. Two equal bags of suck at this point.

I still don’t understand why they don’t put Finley in to see if he has any starter potential in him. Love ya Dalton but I think the time has come. At least for me I’m just tired and bored watching him play at this moment.

It’s like they are afraid to lose.......or afraid to admit there season is over.......oh wait it already is so play these young guys and see who stands out!

Next question where the hell is Eifert and the other TEs at, do they just not use them? I remember seeing Eifert go out wide, or catching long passes up the seam, now you don’t see him at all. What a weapon he could be if they actually used him!

How about more screen passes, when I watch this offense it reminds me of watching preseason vanilla type play calling. Whatever it is it’s not working!

35 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Next question where the hell is Eifert and the other TEs at, do they just not use them? I remember seeing Eifert go out wide, or catching long passes up the seam, now you don’t see him at all. What a weapon he could be if they actually used him!

How about more screen passes, when I watch this offense it reminds me of watching preseason vanilla type play calling. Whatever it is it’s not working!

TEs can't catch passes when they are being kept in to block because our OLine is incredibly bad, maybe historically bad.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I still don’t understand why they don’t put Finley in to see if he has any starter potential in him. Love ya Dalton but I think the time has come. At least for me I’m just tired and bored watching him play at this moment.

It’s like they are afraid to lose.......or afraid to admit there season is over.......oh wait it already is so play these young guys and see who stands out!

They don’t put Finley in because it wouldn’t make any difference. The oline, as wraith says, is historically bad. There’s no run game and the WRs we have left are struggling to get open. Under these circumstances you aren’t going to learn anything about him, but you do run the very real chance of Klinglerizing him.

52 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Because Dalton will finish his contract out AND they probably haven’t ruled out an extension for him (scary part) 

That would be my guess.

I think Finley will get a shot at some point this year and if he can get points on the board with this cast of characters he might be a serious option. 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I think most Ohio Stars fans, who watch and follow both the college and pro games, we’re able to remove the blinders and honestly say they didn’t think much of Haskins as a pro QB.

While absolutely loving him in Columbus, I wanted nothing to do with him in stripes.

Just goes to show what can happen when stepping up in level of play. Look at Mariotta and Winston. Two equal bags of suck at this point.

Haskin might end up being a good pro.  Who knows?  

I just didn’t think he warranted a first round pick based on everything that was being written.

Does throw a nice deep ball. 

54 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

They have playing Eifert less than 50% of snaps.

Screen game.  Dalton does not excel at placement and timing required for screens. They do not run the ball effectively enough to get defenders out of position on screens.

Defenses are sitting on them and Dalton doesn’t get the best throw when he’s rushed.  

They got one to Gio yesterday for a nice gain but it could have been huge but Dalton was late.

Another could have been a big TD but defender sniffed it out.  Hard rush caused a bad throw from Dalton and fell incomplete. 

I expect a Dead Cat Bounce at some point when AJ and/if Glenn return, especially games at home vs beatable teams like the Jags or even the Browns, and of course Miami.  I predicted they'd win 3 or 4 games, still looking like that to me unless more injuries happen (Kirkpatrick's injury is a non-factor IMO, Webb might even be an upgrade for now).

It'll be a real challenge to beat out Miami for the #1 pick, not sure they can do it.  Hell at this point the Browns may end-up with a worse record if they keep it up, or the Jags.  

There may be three or four QBs with top 10 grades. They don't need to be #1 overall, top 5 is sufficient. But given the dead cat bounce, don't want them screwing up and winning one against Jax. Need to bank those Ls now...

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

They don’t put Finley in because it wouldn’t make any difference. The oline, as wraith says, is historically bad. There’s no run game and the WRs we have left are struggling to get open. Under these circumstances you aren’t going to learn anything about him, but you do run the very real chance of Klinglerizing him.

I’m not expecting miracles or anything, but they traded up for him, he didn’t look terrible in the preseason, just wondering how he would do and if there was any promise. Your right though under this o-line it would be hard to judge anything from him. At this point they need a QB who can run for his life.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

There may be three or four QBs with top 10 grades. They don't need to be #1 overall, top 5 is sufficient. But given the dead cat bounce, don't want them screwing up and winning one against Jax. Need to bank those Ls now...

Agreed, let's keep that worst-case-scenario in the top 5, anything beyond that is more of the same IMO (i.e. ""With the 7th pick in the draft, the Bengals' select Andre Smith, Offensive Tackle, Alabama,"  "with the 6th pick in the draft, the Bengals' select Cedric Obegui, Offensive Tackle, Texas A&M" "The Bengals' select Billy Price," "The Bengals' select John Ross" etc..., ).

I want to limit the chance for error as much as humanly possible with this franchise, they are borderline incompetent when it comes to drafting and scouting, and always have been (squirrel finds nut every so often, or for a couple of good years once in a while though).

• Like 1

Although I agree wholey that the best chance an NFL team has to rebuild is with high draft picks (and lots of them), and indeed I have gone on record wanting us to trade veterans with a little left in the tank for draft picks -- but honestly, this teams drafts in the last few years have been pure excrement

Given an inability to draft quality players, I dont see any hope for this team until the draft decision process improves. I dont know if thats on the scouts, or on SoaG, or on Tobin, or whoever......but whatever the source of the sewage is, it has to go away (or be removed from the draft decision process) before this team will have any chance whatsoever of becoming even mediocre/average

• Like 1