Jaguars @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

I went fishing in the second half instead of listening to Rich Gannon point out that our team is a shit show within a dumpster fire inside a Trump security briefing.  

Dalton’s double 4th quarter picks are completely in character for him.  He’ll make a great backup/mentor for the human sacrifice that we pick to put behind this offensive line next year.  

Speaking of draft picks, we may face the venerable “don’t pick me because I won’t sign with your crap team” stiff arm from either Tua or Burrow.

4 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Zac Taylor after the game saying what we put on the field was not good enough, no shit but it should say is not good enough.

Even when other guys were healthy it was not good enough. 

At some point you have to put blame on Taylor for his inability to upgrade a roster or put together a good coaching staff, let alone his failures as a HC thus far.  While I tend to blame Mike Brown and Co. for not doing enough as usual, when Marvin came in here, he at least changed the culture and went out and got players he felt he needed (i.e. trading for O'Neal, signing "upgrades" in FA to some extent etc....,).  Marvin sort of put his foot down, and at least demanded some changes happen. 

Either Taylor's too naive and didn't understand how bad the talent was here, or he thinks he's a magic man who can change the results (fail).  Either way, not looking good for the future of this coaching staff, they have done a horrible job so far across the board.

Oh the QB situation really doesn't matter ultimately, most of us would just like to see someone different back there, who doesn't turn the ball over so much, we know what Dalton can/can't do, and I'm just sick of watching him throw INt's, have pases batted-down at the LOS and fumble away games for 9 years, or run around like a scared rabbit under pressure.

Utterly sick of watching him play football, enough already, just make it end, whether it's this year or next, just move on already from him.

18 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

The key factor in benching Dalton is that you are opening up the discussion of off-season trade possibilities. 

If they don’t bench Dalton this year then it’s leaning towards him coming back and finishing out his contract.  

There’s plus and minus to both. 

I'd be really curious to see if a team like Chicago or Miami would be interested in Dalton, hell I'd do it for a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

He's a solid dude and had some good years here, it would actually be nice to see him have some success elsewhere, would be interesting to watch.  Watching him play here any longer? Not so much.

One thing's for sure, if the Bengals' continue to do nothing, and just work with what they got, this will indeed end-up being another lost decade.  They have to try harder, they have to get over hanging onto 30+ year old players on the decline when they have no chance of going to the playoffs.

Talk about a franchise that collectively needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror, yikes.

• Like 1

Also a trade of Dalton effectively takes one team off an early QB draft pick. 

But the key factor will be in order to extend Dalton his price tag will be significantly more cap room than his current deal.  

Bengal fans also have to look in the mirror and accept the risk of moving from mediocrity. 

Bengals keep Marvin they could be and excellent 3-4.    

We are now seeing rock bottom with Dalton and bad o-line.  There’s no deeper you can go than winless but get the QB spot wrong and you could enter the Cleveland Browns cycle. 

I say go for broke.  Trade assets only for multiple decent picks. 

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

One thing's for sure, if the Bengals' continue to do nothing, and just work with what they got, this will indeed end-up being another lost decade. 

I’m going out a limb with this prediction, I know, but: they will continue to do nothing differently. The fundamentals of operations, management and scouting will not change. The pay as you go financial strategy will not change. And the basic “magic pixie dust” approach to team-building — that some day they’ll get the right collection of players and then we’ll win! — will not change.

All we can realistically hope for is that they get lucky in the draft for a couple years. And that’s happened! But this FO wouldn’t even know where to start developing a proactive strategy for success, except that it involves things they aren’t willing to do.

I have zero faith in anything this front office comes up with or says.
Not only that, the product is garbage as well.

What happens with a product like that in any other spectrum ??
Only in the sports world would such stupidity thrive...

The only thing I have to accept as a fan is whether I accept putting up with any of this bullshit any longer.
"My sources say no"...  Thank you magic 8 ball !!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Zac Taylor seems to have boner for Dalton, so not seeing him going anywhere, and I bet they won’t even draft a QB at number 1, if they get it. 

I think that if they’re up in the top 3 or so, and it looks like they will be, they’ll take a QB. 

25 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I’m going out a limb with this prediction, I know, but: they will continue to do nothing differently. The fundamentals of operations, management and scouting will not change. The pay as you go financial strategy will not change. And the basic “magic pixie dust” approach to team-building — that some day they’ll get the right collection of players and then we’ll win! — will not change.

All we can realistically hope for is that they get lucky in the draft for a couple years. And that’s happened! But this FO wouldn’t even know where to start developing a proactive strategy for success, except that it involves things they aren’t willing to do.

I’d say this is spot on. 

2013-2105 they blew it.  Now we are just waiting to see if they can repeat and go a few steps further. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I think that if they’re up in the top 3 or so, and it looks like they will be, they’ll take a QB. 

Hopefully your right!

I don’t know if Zac Taylor is a good HC or not, but let him build the team he wants with guys he wants and see what he is. Otherwise he is stuck with guys he might not want.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Hopefully your right!

I don’t know if Zac Taylor is a good HC or not, but let him build the team he wants with guys he wants and see what he is. Otherwise he is stuck with guys he might not want.

I think this is one of those rare times when the Bengals being the Bengals helps. A rookie QB, even one taken first overall, is cheap now! Kyler Murray cost the Cards just $35 million. By comparison, Carson Palmer’s rookie deal was for $42 million in 2003. (Yes, Palmer signed for six years vs Murray at 4 with the 5th year option but still, cheap!) Dalton would cost more to keep, so QB will look very good to our bean counting FO.

I think the whole key is solving the line issues.

When looking forward it would help tremendously if 2 out of the 3 Williams, Price and Jordan develop into high quality players.   Of course all 3 would be great. 

Mixon isn’t Green Ellis or Rudi.   You don’t need mountain size holes for him to gash a D.   But you need some movement.

The if you keep and get healthy AJ. 

That makes life for a new/young QB easier and increases his chances for success.

But there’s a lot of “IFs” stayed in that plan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Army: there were highlights?

Maybe I was wrong...  lowlights ??  Either way, I didn't watch shit to do with this team Sunday.
Was at the Colts and Texans game Sunday in Indy, which was a really good game and kept up with a bunch of others, but not the Bengals.
I already knew how that story was going to end.