2020 Draft

I actually liked the long post, but admittedly i'm a big draft fan.  Do that talking about Dalton and I may vomit on my keyboard.

There aren't many o-linemen at the top of the 2nd I care for and think most will be a reach.  I agree about Austin as well...pass.
I've said it before but adding Jefferson at the top of the 2nd would be an absolute steal, but I don't see it happening.
The only other WR I like there is Mims, but again, I see both him and Jefferson gone in the first.

My big hope is that Queen is there.  While I like Murray, he's not the coverage guy I would prefer to have with our LB picks.

I am pretty big on Claypool and think he's going to be a MUCH better pro than he was college WR.
However, I think he will go much higher than the 3rd round.  If not, I want him here.
Isiah Wilson would be nothing to complain about.

In the 4th, there are a couple of o-linemen I like.  Stenberg and Biadasz, both interior guys, but like the pick here in the 4th.
If not an interior o-lineman, maybe another LB like Marcus Bailey out of Purdue.  May be a bit of a reach here.
If we add another DB, a guy like CB Amik Robertson would be ok as well.

Duvernay at the top of the 5th is a dream come true and would have no issues with 2 WR's taken.

The 6th should be wide open, but if we haven't grabbed another LB yet, I like Strnad from Wake Forest here.

The 7th should be wide open as well.  It would be a good time to take another o-lineman prospect for depth.
There really are a bunch of back end roster guys I would have little issue with. 

13 hours ago, membengal said:

Post FA spending spree, I sorted out CBs, S, and IDL from my considerations - after they spent $135 million to shore up those positions I am hoping they are looking WR, OL, and LB in rounds 2-4 in some order...BPA, but targeted BPA given the areas of need remaining.

This is the point where we part. I don’t care about position, I’m taking the best available. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

This is the point where we part. I don’t care about position, I’m taking the best available. 

NOT ME. I mean, for godssake, if they go Kmet or an IDL or a safety there I will lose my shit. This team has needs. There are going to be players who address those needs with roughly equal grades unless somehow Kinlaw falls from top 10 to top of round 2. Short of something crazy like that, I want them to fix things that need fixing. 

question mem: typically Duvernay's teammate Collin Johnson is also available in r5 and is rated above Duvernay (slightly) by TDN.  do you distinctly prefer Duvernay over Johnson, and if so, why

today's TDN mock draft results, which I am mostly (still want an OT at 33) happy about.....and you can substitute Duvernay as the pick at r5 if you like, he was also available

1-1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

2-33 Cesar Ruiz, OG Michigan

3-65 Isaiah Wilson, ORT Georgia

4-107 Troy Dye, LB Oregon

5-147 Collin Johnson, WR Texas (or Duvernay)

6-180 Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forest

7-215 Stephen Sullivan, TE LSU

I tend to think the "most right" answer tends to be "BPA at a position of need". That is: don't shoehorn someone in within a narrow 1-2 position space, but also don't take a QB if you have Peyton Manning. For the Bengals, their needs are broad enough that the distinction from BPA is inherently limited anyway. At #33 at least, the only positions I would be bothered by beyond ridiculous STs stuff are TE, RB, QB (assuming Burrow), and maybe S with Vonn Bell aboard. I could even dig another DT given Geno's age and the uncertainty of any FA insertion.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

question mem: typically Duvernay's teammate Collin Johnson is also available in r5 and is rated above Duvernay (slightly) by TDN.  do you distinctly prefer Duvernay over Johnson, and if so, why

today's TDN mock draft results, which I am mostly (still want an OT at 33) happy about.....and you can substitute Duvernay as the pick at r5 if you like, he was also available

1-1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

2-33 Cesar Ruiz, OG Michigan

3-65 Isaiah Wilson, ORT Georgia

4-107 Troy Dye, LB Oregon

5-147 Collin Johnson, WR Texas (or Duvernay)

6-180 Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forest

7-215 Stephen Sullivan, TE LSU

I feel like Collin Johnson's skill-set most closely duplicates Auden Tate and we already have Tate - Duverney brings something needed in terms of speed and production and most closely mirrors a healthy john ross and Ross is on the last year of his contract (or might be dealt I suppose) so I really lean Duverney if he's there when I want him to be there. 

I love Strnad by the way in 6 - good pull. 

Frankly, that mock draft looks fucking perfect to me. 

Ha ha!  You guys are awesome.  BengalsZone is a nice little respite every day for me.  This pandemic has changed daily life, but it’s great that I can still come here and 1. Figuratively kick Mike Brown in the balls, and 2. Get figuratively kicked in the balls by all of you.

Here's my personal big board for 33 - fairly easy for me to throw together because of that long post I did at some point recently in some thread or another (maybe even this one):

1. IF , somehow, any of the top 4 tackles (Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Becton) or top 3 receivers (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) falls against all odds to 33 - I am hoping the bengals are taking that one...

Assuming that doesn't happen, my personal big board of potential players at 33 is:

---Josh Jones (OT)
---Patrick Queen (LB)
---Denzel Mims (WR)
---Jalen Reagor (WR)
---Cesar Ruiz (IOL)
---Kenneth Murray (LB)
---Tee Higgins (WR)
---Zack Baun (Edge/SSLB)
---Ezra Cleveland (OT)

That breaks down to 3 OL, 3 LB (sorta if you count Baun) and 3 WR - some combo of those nine should be available at pick 33...

I really don't want to see a CB, S or DT here. It would make me kinda grumpy given the depth at those positions after the FA spending spree (feels weird to type that).

I do NOT want Austin Jackson (OT) or Shenault (WR) here - I think Jackson has a high bust factor and Shenault has a weird skill set (almost kinda RB-esque) and an injury history - I don't like the fit. I guess I don't want Hamler (WR) or Aiyuk (WR) there either - not sure I could put my finger on why - just feels over-drafted given the other players likely on the board - but I could be talked into being okay with it - but Jackson and Shenault would be a harder conversation to make me chill.

The above is subject to editing/refinement.

Charles Davis just released his first round graded prospects. He estimates 27 players are 1st rounders.  

4 QBs- Burrow no. 1 overall.

5 WRs - listed

4 OT listed

A good determination of what value the 33rd pick could have and how much was the 1st round based on need. 

How does adding 3 more rounds help anyone?  These are all guys that were going to get signed as FA and used as camp fodder anyway.

Chronovirus prevents teams from getting to know guys, from working them out.  I don’t understand how extra draft rounds fixes that.

If anything, aren’t teams being asked to reach further down into the pool, way down to guys that weren’t even at the combine?  Doesn’t make sense.