2020 Draft

29 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup, for 80% of the people who get it, there’s little to no symptoms. Which is the problem! They go on about their lives, unknowing Typhoid Marys. And since the bug has an incubation period of up to two weeks, everything seems fine until all of a sudden it isn’t. The ones who do have severe symptoms all show up at the ER at once and you’ve got 20 people with pneumonia and only 10 ICU beds.

The point of canceling events isn’t to stop people from getting sick, it’s to slow the spread of the disease so it doesn’t overwhelm the medical system like it did in Wuhan and Italy. You don’t have to cancel everything forever, but for now, you do what you can to make sure people get sick at a rate that doesn’t exceed the available care.

I’m fine with this. It’s not panic, it’s common sense.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the strategy for certain things for a certain time. But it’s also important that the CDC, etc is very clear about this strategy and reassuring people that it’s very temporary. Are they doing that? Or with what we’re seeing is it another run? A run on events like a run on TP. Or how about pushing the positive message to eat clean whole foods, drink water, exercise, and sleep well. Maybe a message that empowers instead of a message that says hole up in your house and be afraid. So yeah, I’m a tad bit skeptical of the messages being sent. 

47 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with the strategy for certain things for a certain time. But it’s also important that the CDC, etc is very clear about this strategy and reassuring people that it’s very temporary. Are they doing that? Or with what we’re seeing is it another run? A run on events like a run on TP. Or how about pushing the positive message to eat clean whole foods, drink water, exercise, and sleep well. Maybe a message that empowers instead of a message that says hole up in your house and be afraid. So yeah, I’m a tad bit skeptical of the messages being sent. 

This is not some food fad like low carbs or the keto diet. This is an actual infectious disease. And I would LOVE if we had a CDC that could take control but sadly the current administration decided we didn’t need a pandemic task force or to fund the CDC so now our hopes rest on people getting freaked out by their favorite actors getting sick. 

Again, this is not panic. This is what you do when you have a new dangerous bug running through a community. Problem is it’s in 36 states now and we are a 300 million plus community.

If a few weeks from now we are all laughing at posts like this I will be the happiest person here. I’m just not feeling it right now.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

This is not some food fad like low carbs or the keto diet. This is an actual infectious disease. And I would LOVE if we had a CDC that could take control but sadly the current administration decided we didn’t need a pandemic task force or to fund the CDC so now our hopes rest on people getting freaked out by their favorite actors getting sick. 

Again, this is not panic. This is what you do when you have a new dangerous bug running through a community. Problem is it’s in 36 states now and we are a 300 million plus community.

If a few weeks from now we are all laughing at posts like this I will be the happiest person here. I’m just not feeling it right now.

Taking care of your body is priority #1. Period. It’s not about a fad diet. Try it. 

The NBA announced Wednesday that the 2019-20 season has been suspended indefinitely after a member of the Utah Jazz tested positive for the Coronavirus.

The announcement came hours after NBA owners held a conference call to discuss the league’s coronavirus response plans that failed to produce a resolution, and shortly after a game between the Jazz and the Oklahoma City Thunder was abruptly postponed shortly before tip-off.

“A player on the Utah Jazz has preliminary tested positive for COVID-19,” the NBA’s statement read. “The test result was reportedly shortly prior to tip-of of [Wednesday’s] game. At that time, [Wednesday’s] game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena. The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of [Wednesday’s] schedule until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/11/nba-suspends-play-player-test-coronavirus/

I flew through Seattle 4 weeks ago.  Got home.  A week and a half later I got very sick.  Intense chills, fever, cough, fatigue and body aches.  Lasted 2 weeks, and I’m still not right.  I assumed the flu, maybe it was Covid-19.  Wish there was a test!

• Like 1

Also, fuck the Utah Jazz, one of my least favorite teams.  

Story from like 16 years ago.  I was in SLC on business.  Went to a jazz game with business associates.  Other than players, coaches, and other personnel associated with the teams and the broadcast, we counted 8 black people in the whole arena.  Not that it matters, but damn.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, COB said:

Also, fuck the Utah Jazz, one of my least favorite teams.  

Story from like 16 years ago.  I was in SLC on business.  Went to a jazz game with business associates.  Other than players, coaches, and other personnel associated with the teams and the broadcast, we counted 8 black people in the whole arena.  Not that it matters, but damn.

Lol. Years ago, I worked for a company that had a major client from Utah. Mormons, of course. Every year there was a big convention and of course my team would all bust ass all day then go out drinking at night...and we’d come back to find said client straight sober playing Yahtzee in the lobby at 1 in the morning to hang with the crew. Never knew whether to laugh or cry.

I’m with you in regards to what’s being done to minimize the spread. I’m just not going to freak out about it.

I love how people are all of a sudden like, holy shit I need to wash my hands more. Really ?? Were you not doing that already ?? Did it really take an worldwide epidemic to motivate your dumbass to wash your hands ??

I go to the grocery store at night to avoid crowds and check out the milfs in yoga pants. However, I go in there tonight at 10pm and it’s like fucking Thanksgiving with lines down the aisles. What the hell ??

No ass wipe, no fucking Froot Loops, no half the shit I went in there for. Signs hung saying they have to ration cleaning supplies due to the virus.

People just need to chill.

• Like 2

Yeah, not freaking out is key. We aren’t all gonna die like this is Captain Trips from The Stand. But of course this is America, where freaking out is a constitutional right.

As for washing hands, we’re all disgusting pigs, Army. It’s funny, in the restroom in my office building, up until yesterday when you turned on the water at the sink, you had wait about a minute for hot water. Now all of a sudden it’s hot right away! 

More than a year of planning to turn the Las Vegas Strip next month into the center of football celebration and pageantry could be significantly altered, as the NFL mulls a response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The league has prepared for Las Vegas to host the draft from April 23-25.

While a new plan has not been formally developed, NFL officials are closely monitoring a public health situation that is progressively reaching and impacting the sports landscape in America. On Wednesday evening, the NBA announced it would suspend its season following the completion of the day’s games.

“The league office, the players association and the city and the state are working together,” Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis said in a Wednesday phone interview. "They’re making a measured decision. Health and safety will always be No. 1.”

Two signature league events are approaching on the NFL’s calendar.

The first, the annual owner meetings in Palm Beach, Fla., is scheduled for March 29 to April 1. The draft, from April 23-25, is the other.

Many top NFL prospects attend the draft, taking the stage and shaking hands or hugging commissioner Roger Goodell. Meanwhile, a huge crowd of fans gather to experience the festivities in person. There is a real chance that attendance would be scaled back, representing a dramatic shift of the event. But again, no plan has been formalized.

A league spokesman did not immediately return request for comment.

“They’ll make the correct decision,” Davis said. “They won’t put anyone in jeopardy over it.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/03/12/nfl-taking-hard-look-at-adjustments-to-las-vegas-draft/

On topic but a little bit not: 

There’s a site I’ve been following that has live reports by each country breaking down the cases of the virus by category. Triage basically. 10 days ago, on the 2nd, China had around 80,200 reported cases. As of yesterday they had 80,700. It’s leveled off there SIGNIFICANTLY. The city of Wuhan has 11 million people itself. 

I’ve come around on the shutdowns a bit since yesterday. I hope it works. I think it will help. I still think the media is full of shit. 

And I do think we’re in for quite a positive turn around between now and mid April. 

Wash your hands! For the love of god. 

• Like 1

Shut down of elementary, high schools makes sense.    As a parent you can see colds, flu, or whatever passed through there every year.   Plus when school is canceled a high percentage of those kids will have a significantly reduced interaction with other kids.    I've always argued that the perfect attendance award should be eliminated because of it. 

They'll stay home.  Play video games etc.  Maybe play with some neighbors.   Exposure reduced.

Adult Social/sporting events like NCAA tournament.   Eh,  I question the effectiveness of that.   Sure you are eliminating that event so by default nothing can spread AT THAT EVENT.   Social minded adults probably at a higher rate of school kids are going to find something else to do.    I really don't think you are reducing anything at all with that. 

The thousands of college fans that would be traveling to Conference and NCAA tournament the next few weeks aren't going to stay in isolation just because the tournament is canceled.  

Closing colleges makes no sense.  Those fuckers are at the bar right making out with everything in sight.

• Like 1