2020 Draft

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Wonderful. So by the time I get to work in the central time zone, Twitter should already be bursting with “Burrow didn’t suck Mike Brown’s **** on national TV so he’s pulling an Eli” tweets. Brace yourselves, fellas, tomorrow’s gonna be rocky.

Yea I’m guessing it could get pretty nasty about the bengals, unless Burrow comes out and says he’s excited to turn the bengals around. Even then I’m sure the media will find something 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:42 AM, HoosierCat said:

Now the latest almost certainly BS rumor is that the Panthers are trying to trade their first rounder, Cam, and probably some other picks, to Cincy for the first. Which would be a “hell no” from me and I’d guess from the Bengals too unless Carolina promises like their next 10 first round picks or something.

BS rumor confirmed as BS:

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I would say the Raiders or Dolphins are probably the only 2 realistic trading part that could come up with enough picks to trade.

Dolphins shouldn’t trade, they are sitting pretty and have realistic shot to emerge as a super power from this draft. 

I would say only the Dolphins have the ammo to pull this off but they won't and they shouldn't.  The reason they traded Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tunsil was to make sure they had an opportunity to select multiple impact players in this draft because this draft is historically good.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure both Fitzpatrick and Tunsil had pro bowl level seasons with their new teams, so I can't say I agree with the Dolphins approach here.
While I don't know their financial situation and what they could or could not afford, giving up that kind of talent at those positions is usually the wrong approach.
Regardless of how historically good this draft appears, it could also turn out just the opposite or they may pick poorly (see Cleveland).

Either way, I agree that they shouldn't trade away those picks.  If they just want to be stupid and trade the farm, I still think a conversation is warranted.
I just don't expect it to happen.

37 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

trade up *ONLY* for a blue chip OLine guy (hopefully an ORT), not a LB.

GIMME A LINEMAN!

Well, as they used to say on the old Star-Kist commercials, sorry Charlie. Everything is just fine ‘n’ dandy on the oline, according to Bengals coaches. 

Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan is looking at upgrading the offensive line. But he also has no problem with an Opening Day lineup (from left to right) of Jonah Williams, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart.

"Yeah, I feel very good about those guys," Callahan said here Wednesday morning. "Do I think there's room for improvement? Absolutely. If we can find better, we'll get better. Do I think we're in terrible shape? Not at all. I think we have good, young talent we're excited about. The jump Mike Jordan and Fred Johnson could make, we're counting on it. Put in a year with off-season training, and strength playing a factor and being comfortable in the system for an entire offseason and training camp and we're counting on those guys to step up."

Williams (first round) and Jordan (fourth round) came via the draft and Callahan also points to last year's waiver wire pickups of a pair of rookie tackles in Fred Johnson and Isaiah Prince.

"Jonah becomes a difference," said Callahan of the left tackle that missed his rookie year last season with a shoulder injury. "Bobby and John Miller played well for us. They weren't terrible. Would we like to get competitive at all spots? Of course. I think Fred will be a part of that … We have developmental guys we feel good about and guys that have played we feel good about."

It's believed the Bengals are going to move on from veteran left tackle Cordy Glenn. The fate of 2018 first-round center Billy Price is not as clear given that Trey Hopkins inked a three-year deal late last season to play the middle

"Billy had moments that were good, bad," Callahan said. "Billy is competing at the guard spots. We have guards we feel good about. Billy is part of the mix in the competition. What that means for him between now and Opening Day, I can't tell you specifically. He has to come in and compete. We expect him to get better, too, because he has to."

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-bengals-in-all-out-player-hunt-no-panic-on-o-line-fewer-snaps-for-gen

TDN mock this afternoon- I did one trade back going from 33 to 51 in the second round and picked up an extra 4th and ended up with this (me picking for the bengals and predictive drafting for the other picks):

1. Burrow, QB, LSU

2. Mims, WR, Baylor

3. Greenard, Edge, Florida

4. Pride JR., CB, Notre Dame

4. Davis-Gaither, LB, App State

5. Onweyu, G, Michigan

6. Pittman JR., WR, USC

7. K. Davis, IDL, Nebraska 

the board didn’t fall right for tackles without reaching on that simulation. 

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Mims can't catch the ball......all the athleticism in the world doesn't help you if you drop 13% of the catchable balls heading your way.  Hard pass on Mims in the second.

The entire draft community disagrees with you. He's potentially now rising to first round and pick at 51 would too late come April...

9 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Did four rounds today, came away with Burrow, Queen, Duggar and Hunter Bryant. I’d be happy with that.

I was with you until Bryant - TE, right? I really don't want them spending any of the picks in the mid-rounds on another TE.

Considering Eifert is a free agent and Sample was a wasted pick, the TE cupboard is pretty bare.
Giving Burrow a nice compliment wouldn't be a bad idea.  I like some of the guys in this draft.

Top 3 priority ??  No, but a consideration depending on how the board falls I would think.
I've typically been including one in my mock drafts.

I've also made the comment that they should NOT reach even a little when picking at the top of the rounds.
Maybe that a consideration the later we get in the draft, but you don't reach at the top of the 2nd.
If your guy isn't there, you go BPA and roll with adding talent over need.

I think my comment before was that is how you end up with Drew Sample.

Most hated pick since Shawn Williams.