2020 Draft

Presuming Jonah Williams is back fit and healthy we could essentially have 2 x first round picks in 2020 - if the Bengals go O-line with their no 1 selection it'll make a massive difference to addressing the shambles that is currently masquerading as an offencive line

• 4 weeks later...

At the halfway point in the season, the Bengals currently hold the No. 2 overall pick, thanks to the SoS tiebreaker going in favor of Miami. Looking more and more like the Miami game will be the deciding factor in who get the first overall.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001071017/article/2020-nfl-draft-order-dolphins-no-1-at-midseason-giants-no-6

First early mock I saw has the Bengals' picking #1 and taking Chase Young.  A DE isn't going to help this team much right now, either trade-down for the best OT, or for additional round 1-2 picks, or even  a QB, whatever, they need a roster turnover.

My agenda would be to acquire additional picks if not taking a franchise QB, free-up cap space and use it to bolster the o-line, WR and LB's/Safeties.  Just sitting on the BPA again isn't going to turn this team around any time soon.

Well, if it turns out Finley is the second coming of Brady and they fix the oline with trades/FA then I’m ok with Chase.

I’m also ok with joining the United Federation of Planets if the Vulcans show up tomorrow and ask.

I consider both scenarios equally likely.

• Like 1

Remember that book from middle school, “The Lottery”?  A town held a lottery amongst its kids every year, and the winner was stoned to death.

Thats what the race to be the first pick is this year.  You won!   What did you win?  You’re the savior for the Cincinnati Bengals!  

• Like 1

The Bengals are at the LSU-Bama game scouting out those QBs to determine which one gets his career wrecked by being picked by Mike Brown.  

So far, Tua seems to be aware of this and is playing like shit.  

Burrow is Playing great, likely sealing his doom.

• Like 1

DC picked up some ground this week over at FO. I think it’s just that their side looks weak, but I believe that FO drastically underestimates the level of suck currently in Cincy. I still believe! Current odds of first pick/top 5 pick:

CIN 45.7% 98.3%
WAS 37.9% 98.2%
MIA 10.7% 87.7%
NYG 5.4% 75.7%

12 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I can’t say I know anything about the players but I like the position breakdown.

Ha!  You’re going to love it when we go CB, TE, CB, Injured OT, Injured OT, QB (found a bargain, going to give him 16 games to ‘see what we have in him.’

• Like 1

I'd like to see them acquire a 1B or 2B plus 3B from various trades they should (but wont, yet again) make just before or during the draft

Knowing that this is unlikely in the extreme, I'd want them to take a QB at 1, and 2 passblock-first OTs and a coverage-first linebacker with the next three picks

I think we should skip WR as a pick in 2020 entirely, especially if we franchise Green (which I see as all but certain, because he will never sign a longterm contract here again)

On the matter of Finley - I am quite happy to let him audition for the rest of the year, because as i see it, its a win for me either way - either he develops into something worthwhile for our future or he sucks and helps ensure the much needed shame for the FO of a 0-16 season.  Even if he rises to the merely meh level, hey, a backup qb with real game experience is a good thing to have going forward

I've considered all three qbs and S H O C K E R I dont want any of them with the number 1 pick

1. Tagovailoa - lets not take an injured player who will probably not play at all in his first year.....if ever.....for a change

2. Burrow.  One year Wonder.  Can you say Akili Smith?

3. Herbert.   Inconsistent, and not much of a leader.  My favorite (least disliked?) of top 3 at this point, but still not worth the overall number 1 pick imho

Mind you -- I have nothing against any of these fellows as people - I speak only of the advisability from my point of view of drafting them with the overall number 1 pick we own for now

So instead......gimme a trade down a few slots for couple of day 1 or day 2 picks this year and/or next, and take one of the QBs in the middle of r1 through early r2, with the extra pick(s) used on pass-blocking OT, coverage LB, and/or pass-rushing DE in that order of importance

I now lean towards Chase, despite my previous statement above, and a QB in the 2nd round (someone good will fall).

I just don't see Burrow or Herbert or a crippled Tua making a difference on this team any time soon, in the way Young can affect that defense.  Of course Taylor is a former QB and offensive guy, along with MB, so that probably won't happen and he'll go on to be a HOF'er with someone else.