Time to begin the rebuild

TJJackson

Eh, the article reads to me as bullshit.    Slanted view from some desperate Agent or GM.

The opposite question can be asked.   Why aren't these GM willing to drastically overpay?  Presumably Conference Championship game and Superbowls are at stake.

A first rounder for AJ?   Really?  That's a fools trade.    No.1  AJ seems engaged with this franchise so an extension doesn't seem unlikely.   No. 2 there's the franchise tag that allows them to retain AJ and/or trade when the value will be locked in as picks would be know and the draft board set.

I would say the same for Dunlap and Atkins.  

Eifert - I would look to sell as he doesn't seem like a reliable piece.   Ross I would look to sell.   But in both cases I would want more than market.

Glenn - getting anything would be more than market, IMO.  

Why should the Skins or Bengals be expected to save these GMs asses?    Getting 1 first round pick for AJ is a fools trade.  It opens a huge hole on the team we are experiencing right now.   

Now if it turns out we let AJ walk into Free Agency and all they get is a 3rd,  then Yes they fucked up.

3 minutes ago, COB said:

Right you are, but until you negotiate, there’s no way to tell what you’d get.  Flatly refusing to even consider trades?  Stubborn.  Self defeating.  Typical.

What's the source?   Some GM that has a hole on his team he failed to fix?  Some agent that wants his player out?    Who knows?

Why aren't these teams drastically overpaying?     In the case of Cleveland.   Why would any other franchise be expected to save their ass?  For market deals?   They were clearing vets for cap space and trading out of prime spots for more picks just recently.   Why trade them a Left Tackle at a market deal or slightly above market deal?

AJ Green would be a key piece in a championship run for a couple teams.   Why isn't somebody dumping their entire franchise future to get Rodgers, Brees, Brady another ring? 

A singular 1st round pick for AJ Green at this point is a fool's trade and that article reads like a slanted piece to create pressure to enter something like that.

The Jags got 2 first round and a 4th for Jalen Ramsey and based on the end of game coverage it seems like that was a steal for Jacksonville.   But the Rams traded for a head case great talent to try to get back to the Superbowl this year.    Ramsey is either going get a huge deal from them or walk.   A couple years down the road he'll probably have some drama with the Rams.

Anybody willing to let Alex Erickson run past them and just laugh about it,  I dunno know.    

Shrug. Green will be 32 before the start of next season. Counting 2019 he’s missed significant time to injury in three of the past four years. I love the guy and what he’s done here but yeah, I’ll take a first next April. I just don’t believe it’s actually on offer.

I refuse to make an argument that is slanted in the Bengals doing the right thing.
They haven't earned that benefit of the doubt.

I will readily believe the stories of them being philosophically unwilling to listen to offers, because history proves that to be correct.
I would be more than willing to eat up the stories of them making smart moves, taking risks, or anything from a positive perspective.
Thing is, they've never done that in regards to trading away players around the trade deadline to benefit the team.
Well, maybe not "never", but it's damn close to it.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" seems to come to mind here.

That's a bad trade.

The Pats stole Bradin Cooks and 4th rounder for Saints 1st and 3rd during the offseason.   Saints got a very good/pro bowl caliber Right Tackle (Ryan Ramcyzk) and a no name DE with 5 career sacks.

Patriots got a 1,000 yard season and no name DE that has 10.5 career sacks.    Bradin Cooks big piece in their Superbowl run. 

You are not building anything making these trades unless you fleece the team that going after the Superbowl. 

The Saints were criticized at the time but have overall franchise success to mask the in equity of the trade.  

The Saints fans are watching their WR in 2 straight Superbowls while they are dealing with tough luck playoff loses.

If the Bengals trade for good Right Tackle but watch AJ lead teams to the Superbowl.  You are crazy if you think that mismatch in trade value would be excused because they are "rebuilding" and everyone would rush to defense of the front office. 

You fleece teams chasing the Superbowl today.   If not, you tag and take a similar deal in March/April or have AJ again.   

Minus AJ, they aren't winning with who they have and those people aren't getting younger.  Oh, AJ won't make a difference either.

While on one hand, I think it would be wise to keep a guy like AJ for the shiny new QB they will surely draft next year, if the deal was good enough, I would make the move.
His age and his recent (see past three seasons) injury concerns are enough to at least consider to whatever deals are being discussed.
Drum up the willingness to make a move while driving up the price.  Let teams know what you want.

Get a story out there that the team has turned down multiple offers for a single first round pick.  Who cares if it's true ??
Plenty of teams do just that to give some perspective.

What do the Bengals do ??  "AJ won't be traded under any circumstances.  He will be here next year."
Way to leave that door open...

For the record, I would love to see AJ win the Super Bowl somewhere else.  He deserves it and WON'T be winning one here in Cincinnati.
I would bet a whole year's salary there will be no Super Bowl in AJ's future while he stays on the team.

26 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I refuse to make an argument that is slanted in the Bengals doing the right thing.
They haven't earned that benefit of the doubt.

I will readily believe the stories of them being philosophically unwilling to listen to offers, because history proves that to be correct.
I would be more than willing to eat up the stories of them making smart moves, taking risks, or anything from a positive perspective.
Thing is, they've never done that in regards to trading away players around the trade deadline to benefit the team.
Well, maybe not "never", but it's damn close to it.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" seems to come to mind here.

Had a chance to trade Chad for a first.  Didn't.   Won the division next year.  Eventually traded him for a 5th.

I think there some emotion of a 0-8 start.   There's talent in mid-1st round for sure but there is another side.

That article doesn't address the fact that AJ is on the sideline of games and involved to a point he looks pissed at the action on the field (as in wanting to get out there).    It also doesn't address the fact that the Bengals have had contract talks, AJ's comments about staying, and they also have the franchise tag.

It's a slanted article.      

Using Patriots/Saint Bradin Cooks as a back drop.   Sure I'd love an awesome right tackle.   What else?   Saints might have blown a Superbowl chance.   Saints hit on other picks to mask the inequity of that trade.   If Thomas isn't stud along with Kamara?  How's that viewed then?  Is that Right Tackle ever considered pro bowler? 

To paint this as some injustice to fans is bullshit and not really looking at reality.     You need picks in bunches for it to make sense, IMO.   Why hand a playoff contender the final piece?  

35 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

What do the Bengals do ??  "AJ won't be traded under any circumstances.  He will be here next year."
Way to leave that door open...

For the record, I would love to see AJ win the Super Bowl somewhere else.  He deserves it and WON'T be winning one here in Cincinnati.
I would bet a whole year's salary there will be no Super Bowl in AJ's future while he stays on the team.

You can find stories of the Jaguars owner saying Ramsey isn't going to be traded.   Who's the source of the story?    You can't rely on it.

It's a slanted piece.    How many draft picks is it worth to get Brees, Rodger, or Tom another Superbowl to those teams?  Where's that article or rationale from "The Athletic".

Bullcrap.   Bengals are 0-8 and it's easy to take shots.

Rams went out and paid 2 first and a 4th round pick for a Superstar malcontent CB.  Why?  Because they're in LA and need to stay above the Lakers/Clippers in headlines. Try to get back to a Superbowl. 

That's the reality.   That's the price at this time. These deals being bantered around are fools gold you aren't building anything for a singular first round pick and your handing over a legacy.

Yeah no leverage with Glenn, but some cap space relief next year I guess (unless his contract is up, I dunno off-hand).  Lucky if they can get a 5th rounder for him at this point, since he hasn't played all year and is problematic.

I really wonder what the problem is with him - coaching? ownership? Move to Guard before the season after drafting a LT and re-signing Hart? Who knows.

Welp, that’s that. The trade deadline has passed and there were no trades by any team today. So I guess all those teams are frustrating and dumb. Or something.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with AJ now. I don’t think he signs an extension before free agency, and the Bengals haven’t used the tag since 2013.

Dennard, Eifert and Hopkins all UFAs. Hopkins should be gettable assuming he wants to stay. Dennard probably gone, WJ3 (up after 2020) paid instead. Eifert who knows. If he stays in one piece through the end of the season I’d say it’s no better than 50/50 he’s back.

Andy gets moved, of course. Mike’s not paying $17 million for a backup.

Homestly I don’t have the slightest idea now where you start the rebuild. Back to the old 90s scheme of taking a QB at the top of the draft and declaring that “We’ll go as far as he can take us” I suppose. Sigh.

The trade deadline was media hype.   Similar but on a much smaller scale than what they do to the draft.    They sell "hope" that isn't based in reality.    Very few deals got done.

While cursing the city I overheard discussion of Jet/Cowboys failed trade for Jamal Adams.

Jamal Adams former first round top 10 pick.   Pro Bowler, 2nd team all-pro, and made NFL top 100.  This is his 3rd season and impact defender.     They agreed on a first.   The couldn't agree on the additional pick between whether it was a 3rd or 4th.  

My thoughts on this is IF true.   Cowboys are idiots.   The guy has 2 years left on his rookie deal.   You'll be drafting mid pack at worse maybe bottom 12 if you qualify for playoffs and you wouldn't throw in a 3rd?     Jets seem like idiots too.  You really considered giving up that guy for a 1st and 3rd that would be 2 top 100 college all stars.

I think the NFL trade deadline boiled down to trying to take advantage of desperate teams and unfortunately for the Bengal Hue Jackson is out of a job right now.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Pumpkin was quoted as saying, "there is no bread?  Well let them eat cake!"  

You are running an NFL team, and you take a vacation to Switzerland during the season?  WTF.  These people just don't care.  Grampa Mike will take care of it back home!  Hey idiots, Grampa Mike is about a million years old and is only a third of the way through "I-Phones for Dummies".  Complete and total incompetence.  

29 minutes ago, COB said:

The Switzerland family vacation in the middle of the season can only be interpreted as them saying, “You fans all really care about the Bengals?  You live and die with this team?  Ha ha!  We fucking don’t!”

Yeah. I mean, I know cell phones work in Switzerland and all, but still it’s not a good look. Especially when you are trying to win back a demoralized fan base.

I am pretty much with Army now after the Swiss Family RobinBrowns fiasco. They really, really, really dont care. They get their TV money and are profitable with or without asses in seats at St Pauls Cathedral or even a single win. I will continue to observe (and hope....one can always hope) but no longer consider myself a fan

• Like 1