Time to begin the rebuild

TJJackson

2 hours ago, COB said:

Anarumo. 

Bengals.com has a blurb, Anarumo says he’s going to play some of the younger guys on defense, says they’ve earned a shot.  

Lou Anarumo is our defensive coordinator.  

Lol, thanks for clarifying that (I actually did forget his name).  The problem is they don't have any young talent with upside really.  Aside from Pratt, who's shown a whole lotta nothing, and maybe Webb and Wilson, I don't know what they do.  They got nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Well Taylor says Green will not be traded, which I figured.

Then resign him NOW dont play him like they did Whit or Willie or any of the other greats!

I wouldn't re-sign him at this point, let him walk unless you come-up with an opportunity to get a 1st round pick for him - which I can't believe anyone is going to do for anyone on this team.  But it's the Bengals', and they'll sink money into him for another 3-5 years and he'll spend most of it on IR while his game declines,  then throw their hands up talking about "bad luck" and "injuries" again.

Love AJ. Goes without saying. However, his injuries are becoming the norm not the exception. They could get a first rounder for him. Letting him walk would net nothing higher than a 3rd. I’ll believe AJ, you know, actually WANTS to be here when he signs. I’m not sold on that regardless of what we hear. He wouldn’t air it out like that.

They should trade him and a few others and just start the rebuild proper. Are there guarantees in that? No, but there are also no guarantees with his health and he will cost a pretty penny.

Careful with this “no value” talk.   There was legit injury and end of career thoughts with Whitworth.   

He signed with a bad LA Rams team (at the time). 

Trading AJ creates a big hole and if you are getting a first rounder it’s probably 20th or lower. 

Not exactly building anything.  AJ could pop off 3 1,300+ years as easily as be hurt.

You don’t just give franchise talent away. 

I had a long response to put together but I just don’t want to get that far into it. Not worth my time with this team, as I honestly don’t think they have the savvy to pull anything off that would resemble a proper rebuild.

I certainly get you point though AMPHAR, I just don’t think this team is as close as others and this front office doesn’t care. There’s nothing else to believe.

I think you need multiple good picks for it to make sense.

Look at the problems at LT and it’s not for lack of effort so saying the front office doesn’t care doesn’t fly, IMO for this case. 

1st rounder used on Ced  a legitimate top 15 grade. 

2nd rounder used on Fisher a legitimate first round grade

Traded back several spots in the first for Glenn.  A tackle at one point was considered better than Whit.

1st rounder used on Williams. He’s been a top O-lineman in the Country his entire life.

Should have signed Whit.   

You get 5 year contract for first rounders.  There is a greater probability AJ Green out performs the first rounder for the next 5 years.  Not guaranteed of course.

In no way shape or form should the front receive criticism IF they get an extension for AJ vs. a trade in October unless it was for a boat load. 

Now if they don’t trade, and lose AJ this year or the next then game on as far criticism. 

Eifert is a guy you trade for something lower, IMO.  They don’t play him half the snaps right now.  

You don’t give franchise talent away because we want something new in a season that sucks. 

That franchise talent is going to use up a lot of salary cap space.  That variable should be taken into consideration.  I don’t care if they trade AJ, I like him.  At this point I think Mike knows AJ will end up in the HOF so wants him to do his whole career here.  Doesn’t matter, this organization is so fucked up they couldn’t do jack shit with the picks we’d pick up anyway.  Maybe grab another tight end,

Cap cost is a valid point with AJ.  Probably will be around $20 mil.  Boyd will never be above 10mil cap room.

Ross has talent on rookie deal but can’t be counted on to stay healthy. 

No one else has deep threat ability and AJ is a complete target. 

Boyd makes tough catches he’s a rich mans TJ Housh.  

Tate is a big target too early to tell how reliable. 

• Thanks 1

Eh AJ isn't going anywhere any ways, he definitely has value still, but right now it'd be nice to see him make it through the rest of the season when he comes back first.

They absolutely need multiple 1st/2nd round picks next year if they want to improve, in addition to spending some $$ in FA for a top tier starter at LB, SS or on the o-line.  Not sure if they're capable of, or willing, to do that.

QB talk always dominates the offseason talk.  This year will be off the charts and an interesting dynamic is forming for the Bengals.

The Bengals have a decent starting option next year in Dalton.  May not be the desired option by fans but a decent option.

The QB free agent market has a chance to be very interesting.  Players like Mariotta, Cam, Tannehill, Winston. 

Then it’s a good QB draft class. 

Can the Bengals spend their top pick on the best talent non-QB and scoop up one in the 2nd?  

Top draft positioning in the 2nd is becoming more important to them as well. 

If you don’t have a franchise QB and you’re in position to take a prospective one — meaning you’re picking in the top 1-3 — I don’t think that there’s any question that you pull that trigger.

Now, I also think that if the Bengals aren’t picking in the top 2, both blue-chippers (Tua and Herbert) will be gone. In that case, assuming they’re someplace in picks 3-10, my instinct is trade down. This team isn’t one or two players away. There are several QBs who look like good value mid- to late first round and if you can pick up an extra second and change, or maybe even a 2021 first rounder and change, do it.

of course, the problem of who is doing the scouting and drafting remains.

• Like 1

The problem or solution will be hitting on more draft picks.       Free Agency although would give a short term boost in optimism it doesn't have great results either.   Last year's Free Agent line men some of which we bantered around about:

1. Trent Brown- Top rated performer from Patriots.  Signed with Raider for the biggest deal for OL.  15 mil against the cap.  Has played 74% and from what I can tell he has played well.   Just got Domestic Violence charges.

2. Jawuan James - The Denver Broncos signed him.  This was a huge wish list for some Bengal fans.  He wasn't good before Broncos signed him and he's played 10 snaps due to injury.  8 mil cap room

3. Daryl Williams - Resigned with Panthers and is playing good.  He was coming of an injury and so far has delivered playing 94% of snaps.  

4. Roger Saffold - This guy we were all over because our New HC just came from the Rams.  6.4m cap hit for a guard and he his horrible.  

I'm not saying you ignore Free Agency.   I'm not saying you dump huge $$$$ in it.    I'm just saying it comes down to hitting on players and Free Agency can have just as many busts as the draft. 

Tobin hasn't been able to find linemen from anywhere.  

So this has been making the rounds on Twitter this morning.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-trade-deadline-bengals-redskins-frustrating-other-teams-with-stubborn-no-sell-stance/

NFL Trade Deadline: Bengals, Redskins frustrating other teams with stubborn no-sell stance

My initial reaction was that “frustrating” was an odd take. I mean, other teams are not entitled to Bengals players just because the team is bad. This has the feeling of other teams basically bitching that Cincy won’t accept their lowball offers.

The meat of the piece:

The Bengals could get a first-round pick for injured receiver A.J. Green -- an unrestricted free agent at season's end who won't be back there -- but owner Mike Brown refuses to entertain the idea, sources said. The Bengals were also getting repeated calls about Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert and Drew Kirkpatrick, sources said, but at this point some general managers aren't even sure if they're going to check back in next week given the way the Bengals have responded to this point.

"They are basically philosophically opposed to the idea of making trades," said one NFC GM. "It's a waste of time to call them. But we did. And it is what it is. You may as well be speaking a different language."

If someone has really offered a first — next year and not conditional on anything — yeah, I take that. But I’d like to see that first. It’s a little hard to believe some team is ready to fork over that price for a guy who hasn’t played all year and has missed significant time for th3 last two years.

But what really caught my eye was Mikey’s name. I think if Katie and Troy wanted to do a deal, it would get done. 

I’d like to see some deals, but not at fire sale prices.

The Bengals front office speaking a different language than the rest of the league ??  Wow, what a surprise. 

Ive been saying it all along, they don’t have the savvy to pull off trades of this nature. Reason why ?? Because they simply say, “We don’t philosophically do that”. 

Indeed a waste of time...

I would trade anyone on that roster if the price was right.  No need for a firesale that just creates more needs than they can address as it is.  They won't get what they want so nothing will likely happen,  but they're going to have to do "something" in the offseason if they want to recoup season ticket sales.

Trades?  Sounds like a lot of work.  

Imagine the amount of data analysis, risk assessment, scenario modeling, that teams put into these high-value trades.  Who’s going to do all that down at the Bengals.  And how’s mike supposed to come up with the energy and endurance to read and discuss it all?  No way.  

The Bengals figure they’ve already put a lot of work into drafting our guys, then all those tedious contract negotiations!  Whew!  Enough is enough.

Hey, I want to see them make some deals too, but they aren’t rebuilding this team with a few extra fourth, fifth and sixth round picks — especially with their poor personnel and scouting resources. If they’re going to move guys I’d like to get meaningful picks in return, and if that’s not available, oh well.

Again, if there’s a real, non conditional, 2020 first round pick on the table for Green, take it. So far, that’s the only alleged offer I’ve heard I’m interested in.