Time to begin the rebuild

TJJackson

i was going to put in my 2 cents worth, but i just can;t be bothered. maybe it's the Friday night beers, maybe I just need the count to 9 before I get off the canvas, but thus far i am feeling (i don't really know what I'm feeling tbh)

• Like 2

It isn't the draft day decisions.  That is on the coaching staff and scouting Dept.  Here is where the Browns' fail running this organization IMHO.

1) they continue to go cheap paying front office personnel.  They have half the number of scouts compared to league avg and a quarter of scouts than Dallas as an example.  Also, they refuse to pay the front office personnel that exemplary salary that is due them, so they leave and are replaced at lower competency.

2) no creativity.  Other team can look at free agency and move proactively to fill roster holes.  Say what you want about the price they paid but Houston saw that their oline was going to hold them back and made the move to fix it with Tunsil.  Likewise Minkah Fitzpatrick for the Steelers.  Also on draft day the Bengals have consistently shown no creativity in the early rounds to Target a guy they need and go and get them.

3) lastly, they refuse to properly evaluate their team, they hold on the washed up players yet maddening let some players that still have gas in their tanks leave (Zeitler and Whitworth as good examples).

This shit will never change as long as the Brown family refuses to step away from football decisions.

• Like 1

Well, if they really want to do something, opportunity is knocking:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-chiefs-ravens-saints-eagles-seahawks-among-teams-already-laying-groundwork-for-frenzied-trade-deadline/

tl;dr Pats and Saints both covet Eifert and Green. Dunlap and Atkins would draw significant interest.

The NFL is changing.  The Browns were the first to bring a baseball style housecleaning to football.  Now the dolphins are doing it, and I read the Broncos are saying basically every player except Von Miller is eligible for trade.  

Should we trade AJ?  I say it depends on the return.  Boyd can carry the freight.  Get a good package for AJ and let him go.  Or straight up trade him for a very good tackle who has at least two years left on his price-controlled rookie deal.

Burrow overcame a slow start and said “bye-week rust” was the reason for a few of his passes not hitting their intended targets early.

“I left some throws out on the field,” Burrow said. “Way too many balls on the ground.

“But we had 600 yards of offense — whatever, it happens. So that tells us where we can go.”

This was the swashbuckling, game-changing quarterback that NFL scouts are suddenly salivating over. There were nine teams attending Saturday’s game, which also featured the highly regarded Utah State QB Jordan Love. That included two decision makers: Green Bay Packers GM Brian Gutekunst and Cincinnati Bengals personnel director Duke Tobin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-burrow-sets-lsu-record-in-blowout-outguns-utah-states-jordan-love-in-nfl-draft-showdown-203503957.html

The ONLY thing that would interest me at this point is for them to do this right - and sell off Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, Dre and WJIII and bring back a bevy of picks and re-boot this thing. That would be interesting and potentially a way forward. But I know they won't even do that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, membengal said:

The ONLY thing that would interest me at this point is for them to do this right - and sell off Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, Dre and WJIII and bring back a bevy of picks and re-boot this thing. That would be interesting and potentially a way forward. But I know they won't even do that. 

I’m for it.  It’s the future of the NFL.  Sacrifice a season or two, reset your roster and salary cap. Mike will likely think about it, but a new sock garter catalogue just arrived so he’s busy reviewing that for a few days.  

The fans are going to stay away in droves.  Mike has the enthusiasm and stamina of lab-grown meat, but empty stadiums get his attention.  

Someone over in Indian Hill better make sure the Rascal Elite Mega Motion IV has a fully charged battery.  Bengals Brain Trust is going to take a few contemplative laps around the mansion!

Yeah the Bengal way isn't to make much of an effort.

Preston Brown and Hart, as expected, are absolutely horrible, yet they committed to/re-signed both of them for no apparent reason, other than laziness and cheapness, and you know MB isn't going to eat that money by benching them any time soon.  

They won't "rebuild," they won't acquire another 1st round pick by trading someone, or even additional 2nd or 3rd round picks most likely.  I literally expect nothing from them in that regard.

There's one thing Zac Shula can do - starting benching under-performing vets for rookies or FA's as Volcom eluded to (if nothing else just to make a statement), but I don't see where he even has the chance to do that anywhere on this team.

And I have to question the intelligence and/or ability of a HC who takes a job where he is hamstrung so heavily by an owner who hasn't won a playoff game in 25+ years, and meddles in personnel decisions.  And who (Taylor) seemingly had no real plan for bringing aboard defensive coaches or upgrading personnel.  Just a clown show.

Just keep in mind when you tank the current coaches and players don’t get the benefit of it in media.

Hue was a good OC here.  Cleveland purposely tanked for over 3 seasons winning 4 games.   They purposely traded away vets.  Traded down in the draft.  

No one knows how that situation up in Cleveland plays out. IMO, if they don’t get a Super Bowl in 3 seasons it’s a waste.  

The by-product was a lot executive coaching and playing careers were destroyed. 

You start trading away talent.  Start accumulating mass amounts of draft picks, fine. 

But you are basically killing off ALL new coaches we got and they’ve had 5 games.

Hue Jackson was not spared by the media despite having 0 chance to ever win. 

They won’t here either.   There is a down side to tanking. 

I think they are bad, but once they start trading away assets and playing players just because they are young; that’s tanking, IMO.

Seems like a lot of fans want that now.  So do I. 

Keep in mind that’s a miserable experience  with no guarantee they surpass the Marvin days. 

Cleveland won 4 games in 3 seasons and cycled through so many names it seems like a decade ago.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I don’t think they tanking.

I think they’re just bad.

Right. Which is why I propose to trade everything of value not tied down. So what is bad can move into tank mode. Do that and re-boot. They won't - but they should.

• Like 1

Gave-up 266 yards rushing to AZ, who was ranked 27th in the league at 98 ypg.   At what point do they stop deluding themselves into thinking these LB's are going to improve? Worst in the league, and they just keep trotting the same guys out there every week.  It's just that sort of attitude towards bad performance and no accountability that existed during Marvin's final years here, that hasn't changed.  New coach, same results.

See this is part of why I am where I am as a fan.

How many years have I (and others) gone on and on about the state of the line backing corps, the o-line, or both ??  Despite being able to clearly see how little the front office has addressed those areas from the couch in my living room, they’ve done nothing. And please spare me the Preston Brown and Bobby Hart justifications.

Fast forward however many damn years and here they sit trying to figure out why they are 0-5, making comments like “We just have to execute better”.  How’s that working out with the equivalent of some juco talent in starting positions ?? (Might be over dramatic there)

They have neither drafted well or made it a priority to bring in free agent talent worth a shit. Seriously take a minute to go back and read what was said about Bobby Hart when he left the Giants. THIS is who they saw fit to give a multi year contract to in order to protect Dalton.

Yep, I’m still pretty done with this crap. But hey, we fans don’t know how hard it is to run an NFL team remember ???

• Like 1

Exciting news, fellas: we’re No. 1!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001063586/article/2020-nfl-draft-order-redskins-no-2-giants-slip-into-top-10

Yup, as of today, we are officially the worst team in football!

1. Bengals (0-5, .604 SoS) - vs. Ravens next

2. Redskins (0-5, .640) - vs. Dolphins

3. Dolphins (0-4, .650) - vs. Redskins

4. Jets (0-4, .700) - vs. Cowboys