Time to begin the rebuild

TJJackson

12 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Who or what translates is anybody’s guess.  Prospect wise the other QBs have put up good film too and some have done it longer. 

Its just an interesting dynamic in this draft.   

Plus the top 5 non QB prospects are high quality.  

The only QBs I’m impressed with are Burrow and Tua. To a lesser extent Hurts.

Herbert- questions about his leadership and disappearing in big games. From those who follow Oregon football.

Fromm- Arm strength and consistency.

Eason- Questions about his work ethic.

Love- Inconsistent and is seen more as a project.

1 hour ago, cincyhokie said:

The only QBs I’m impressed with are Burrow and Tua. To a lesser extent Hurts.

Herbert- questions about his leadership and disappearing in big games. From those who follow Oregon football.

Fromm- Arm strength and consistency.

Eason- Questions about his work ethic.

Love- Inconsistent and is seen more as a project.

Yeah and Burrow was ranked mid pack SEC QBs preseason they all have questions but it’s all relative because a lot of these guys would have been taken before last year’s first rounders. 

They risk/reward is grabbing a top non-QB position and still being able to grab a top half first round graded QB. 

so the Hopkins extension

Excellent move - lock up a steady force on your otherwise shaky OL for what is almost certain to be a new starting qb

I could make the claim that they overpaid a little, but I think the Bengals are going to need to overpay for a while in order to sign quality free agents - including but not limited to free agents to be like Hopkins

Good to see a rare positive move from this horrendously bad Front Office

speaking of more good news on the OL, I look forward to watching Fred Johnson again on Sunday

now the strange thing here is that in his draft profile

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/fred-johnson?id=32194a4f-4800-0022-b0fb-2114f6546f71

it is pretty clear that at Florida he was employed almost exclusively on the right side and primarily at OG, whereas the Bengals are putting him on the left side and primarily (well, one game, ok, the sample size doesnt get any smaller, I know) at OT.....though i am hearing he is getting practice reps at both OT spots

I guess thats because they for whatever reason have decided (unfortunately) they are set for the next two years with Miller and Hart on the right side

Dont get me wrong - it is harder to find a good OT than a good OG, so if he can play OT well, I am all for that.  But I think it is worth checking in the offseason to see which two of the three (Hart, Miller, Johnson) makes for the strongest starting right side of the OLine.  The loser would provide quality depth or possibly become the starter at OLG

I've just about given up hope on Price.  Seems like a likeable good character guy but at the end of the day, sadly, he isnt getting the job done at any spot.  The best comment I can make about him is that he isnt as bad as Oogie.  Talk about damning with faint praise, eh?

Signing Hopkins was an easy move, his 61.9 2019 PFF grade is right up there in the 2nd tier of good Centers, so he's improved with time and that's all you can ask for.  I guess they need to stabilize that line and they're not going to do that drafting another rookie C who's going to be snapping, most likely, to a rookie QB.

Now they need to fix the LG/RG and RT issues - need at least 2 upgrades at those positions IMO, and hope to God Jonah works out or they are in trouble again.

The Bengals' o-line ranked 30th in the league this year,  you can't just add "one" new guy and expect dramatic improvement, which is what they are going to need, just hope this isn't a sign they're settling for what they have again.  Gotta find some good players.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Supposedly they like Fred Johnson so far.

So let’s trade Glenn to Marvin. 

Yeah I hope he gets a shot.  The hard part is that they HAVE to move on from Hart as a starter, and not just pencil him in because of his contract, he's going to get a rookie QB killed at some point.