Time to begin the rebuild

TJJackson

3 hours ago, COB said:

Not on topic, but great watching the Steelers lose to the Bills just now in the tube.  Funny how all these great coaches suddenly don’t look all that smart when they lose their franchise QB.

Had he been healthy but lost Conner and juju, it would have exposed Ben to be as overrated as Eli. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

It would be great if Tua's draft stock rose again. I'd be all for that. If he proves to be a good choice injury and all, then the Bengals are sitting very nicely.

Tuas injury will always be a problem, specifically necrosis of his acetabular. Friend did it and went through the ordeal. Multiple surgeries, eventually needed replacing. Depending on severity it could be he won’t play ever again. 

Just read that SI.com is reporting Jeff Bezos visited Detroit to talk to Martha Ford about buying the Lions.  

Katie, Troy, Mike, wake the fuck.  Your shitty franchise will likely never be worth more than it is now.  And you won’t find a deeper-pocketed buyer than Bezos.  Make your move now.

I really like this pickup from the Titans....a young linebacker with good size, decent passrusher, solid special teamer who has blocked punts

No, I'm not claiming we go to the superbowl with this guy but it is a very, very good pickup at an absolute position of need for essentially nada

player profile from the Titans website:

Sharif Finch

Outside Linebacker

Experience: 2 years

Height: 6-4

Weight: 250 lbs

College: Temple

Biography

PRO: The Titans signed Sharif Finch as a rookie free agent following the 2018 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4-inch, 250-pounder is an athletic outside linebacker who features a multitude of pass rush moves, while possessing the strength and leverage to set the edge in the run game. In five seasons at Temple, Finch amassed 144 total tackles, 32.0 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, five forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries. He also excelled on special teams with the Owls by setting the NCAA career record with five career blocked punts.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
• In 2018, Finch made the Titans’ active roster out of training camp as a rookie free agent and saw action in 15 games while amassing 22 tackles, 1.5 sacks, two quarterback pressures, two stops for loss, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and seven special teams stops.

TITANS TIDBITS
• Finch’s father, Gregory, passed away as a result of a heart attack on July 30, 2018, while Finch was participating in his rookie training camp. It came three years after his mother, Wendy, died as a result of breast cancer. Finch wears a set of dog tags with their names and photo and an inscription that reads “everything is for you.”
• Finch has 20 siblings and he is the youngest of the group.
• Finch enjoys playing the piano in his free time.
• As a senior at Temple, Finch was issued a single-digit jersey number, which are awarded to the team’s toughest players.

CAREER TRANSACTIONS
• The Henrico, Va., native was signed by the Titans as an undrafted free agent on May 11, 2018.

COLLEGE:
• Appeared in 53 games with 25 starts over five seasons at Temple and ranks as the NCAA career leader with five punt blocks. Posted 144 total tackles, 32.0 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, two interceptions for 91 yards and a score, five forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries with one touchdown. 
• As a fifth-year senior (2017), played in 13 contests with 12 starts and tallied 55 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, one pass defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. His team-leading 8.5 sacks were a single-season career high. Recorded two sacks in three different contests, against Massachusetts (9/15), against Navy (11/2) and against Central Florida (11/18). Played in his 53rd career game in 2017 and tied for first place in career games played in program history. Earned Second Team All-American Athletic Conference and ECAC First Team All-East recognition.
• As a senior (2016), was limited to four games due to a knee injury and was granted a medical redshirt. Notched 11 tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack and two forced fumbles. Blocked his fifth career punt against Army (9/2).
• As a junior (2015), saw action in 13 games and made one start in the defensive end rotation. Totaled 13 tackles, three tackles for loss, a sack, one interception and blocked three punts. Blocked two punts at East Carolina (10/7).
• As a sophomore (2014), appeared in 12 contests with 10 starts for the Owls and posted 35 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. Forced a fumble on his opponent’s first offensive play and recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchdown against Navy (9/6). Also returned one 65-yard interception for a score against Delaware State (9/20). Earned Midseason All-AAC First Team recognition by Phil Steele Publications.
• As a freshman (2013), saw action in 11 games with two starts and recorded 30 tackles, four tackles for loss and two sacks.
• Graduated from Temple in 2016 with a degree in communications.

PERSONAL
• Attended Henrico (Va.) High School where he posted 123 tackles and seven sacks as a senior.
• Son of Wendy and Gregory Finch.
• Follow Finch on Twitter at @S_Finch6.
• Follow Finch on Instagram at @Sfinch6.
• Born Sharif Jarel Gregory Wayne Finch on Oct. 1, 1995 in Henrico, Va.

On a somewhat related note, Pratt's production has been increasing every week, 10 and 12 tackles the last 2 games, and 2 of those for a loss vs the Fins. 

If I'm not mistaken he's led the defense in T's in the last 2 games.   Not sure what he ends-up being, but steady, consistent improvement is  a good sign, extremely short sample size though.   Maybe a 3rd round guy needs time, go figure.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, membengal said:

The Burrow speech at the Heisman was amazing. He’s the one.

I logged back in today to make this comment and will step back away...

I believe in the philosophy that "If you don't have a franchise QB, you try to get one". 
Well....  That is exactly where we find ourselves and sitting at the #1 spot allows us to take the best shot.
Take it.  Don't be a pussy.  Make the selection and move forward.

The rookie wage scale makes it possible to swing and miss without it crushing the franchise for the next 7 years.
A true franchise QB can make everything else around them better, so if they swing and hit, the payoff is massive.

Someone can argue all they want about whether Joe Burrow is the best QB in the draft, but i'm not that guy.
I believe him to be the clear #1 QB in the class and fully deserving of being the Bengals pick at #1.

Just take Burrow and move on to addressing how the organization can actually use free agency to help build around him.
Also cannot forget having the top pick in the other rounds as well.  USE THEM WISELY.

That being said, much like the last Bengals related post I made, I still do not believe they care enough.
For that reason I have not given much thought to anything they have done and won't until closer to the draft.

Will it to happen Mem.  I'm with you.  WILL THAT SHIT !!!
Later...

• Like 4

I honestly see this QB class as Burrow + [insert any other prospect here, pretty much at random]. The other candidates all look weak to me (save Tua who I love, but I will never trust the Bengals with any injured player). At least one of them ought to end up fine, but I have no idea which one. I'm also not especially confident that player would provide a higher ceiling than Andy Dalton.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Burrow will not have the best arm talent in this draft class. 

Drafting Burrow is more like drafting Mayfield No.1 overall in his class. You’re doing that based on intangibles and “it factor”  vs. physical skill. 

It simply is a very good QB class and has some depth. 

Except Mayfield is an idiot. Burrow is not. But like Mayfield he’s put up impressive numbers and shown it on tape vs. top competition. You can have all the physical stats in the world and it may not transfer to the NFL. 

2 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Except Mayfield is an idiot. Burrow is not. But like Mayfield he’s put up impressive numbers and shown it on tape vs. top competition. You can have all the physical stats in the world and it may not transfer to the NFL. 

Who or what translates is anybody’s guess.  Prospect wise the other QBs have put up good film too and some have done it longer. 

Its just an interesting dynamic in this draft.   

Plus the top 5 non QB prospects are high quality.