In-Season Roster Moves Thread

ArmyBengal

10 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

4th highest paid player on the team, the highest paid player got Benched (Dalton), the other hasn't played all season (AJ), and the other has been non-existent (Atkins).  Then there's Dunlap after that,  doesn't look like he has much left in the tank, a mediocre DE at this point in his career, at best.  If this were New England, Atkins would've been traded  2 years ago, Dunlap 2-3 years ago as well.

The Bengals' could potentially free-up around $80 million in cap space this off-season, which will then be gobbled-up by Baghdad Hob's Hobsonian math, so they might have enough left-over to sign another declining vet no one else really wants to pay, that the Bengals' will happily over-pay $1-$3 million for, instead of spending real money or making real effort to acquire any premium Free Agents.  Then again, no one is going to come here right now, unless they're handing out gold bars and private jets as bonuses.

I doubt Geno and Carlos go anywhere. Cutting or trading them would free up cap space, but also lead to more that $12 million in dead money, and that’s not the Bengals’ M.O. Really, though, the team doesn’t need to make cuts for space. Right now they are projected to have $62 million in cap room, and around $90 million once you subtract Andy and Glenn.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2020/

But yeah, I’m sure that they won’t take advantage of the big number. They will just pile as much of the rookie deals as they can into 2020, amortize any future hits early, and use the uncertainty of the CBA beyond 2020, its final year, as an excuse.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I doubt Geno and Carlos go anywhere. Cutting or trading them would free up cap space, but also lead to more that $12 million in dead money, and that’s not the Bengals’ M.O. Really, though, the team doesn’t need to make cuts for space. Right now they are projected to have $62 million in cap room, and around $90 million once you subtract Andy and Glenn.

But yeah, I’m sure that they won’t take advantage of the big number. They will just pile as much of the rookie deals as they can into 2020, amortize any future hits early, and use the uncertainty of the CBA beyond 2020, its final year, as an excuse.

Yep, every team can’t win!  50% of the teams lose every week!

• Like 1

may I ask whatever happened to the promising sounding OL we "stole" from Steelers a month or so back?

from: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/11/18/20970519/bengals-at-raiders-snap-counts-running-backs-finally-receive-balanced-playing-time

Offensive lineman Fred Johnson was activated this week. He didn’t play an offensive snap, but they may want to consider playing him at left tackle (since there is still obviously something weird going on with Glenn and this team). John Jerry got worked this week, and they need to find out if re-signing Johnson should be a priority this offseason. They could even play him at guard at this point. This is more just leaving no stone left unturned on a very lost season.

I love Tyler Boyd,  BUT it's Tate that is taking his targets.   They are basically the same player but Tate might have more of a catch radius.

That's offseason trade to keep your eye on.    Despite AJ Green not being able to practice thus making it difficult to trade him.   Green and Ross are the only two WRs on the roster that have shown the elite ability to separate.   Ross as we know can't stay healthy and has inconsistent hands.   So, IMO,  if you get rid of Green you have to find a high end WR that's why any trade that didn't involve multiple picks didn't make sense to me.   Tyler Boyd would have 5.6m in dead cap, he's the guy you trade IF there is a market.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, HoosierCat said:

Aight thanks, I read that Kirkpatrick's contract was team-friendly enough after this year that they could release him without losing much, if any $$, so maybe that is what I was thinking of.  I'd trade him in the off-season if someone wants to offer a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

And yeah I can't see MB eating $12 mil, unless they can find trade partners - but again that requires effort and takes time-away from bird watching, Lumina polishing and coupon-cutting.

I don't know how they acquire high round picks this year and in 2021, if they aren't willing to let some of these guys go - literally anyone on that roster for the right price.  And I don't know how Taylor sells FA's on his "plan" because it doesn't seem like they have one yet.

A rookie LT who missed an entire year blocking for a rookie QB doesn't sound like it's going to result in immediate success either - just one big clusterfu$K right now and I don't know how they get out of it.

• Like 1

I think you need to get multiple picks for the guys under contract that keep getting mentioned as trade bait.   Geno, Dunlap, Dre, AJ (assuming franchise tag)

I'd take a singular pick for Boyd.  His replacement is already on the roster and is taking his target (Tate). 

Glenn - The only reason why I think he's still on the roster is they hope they can dump him in the offseason in a trade.   I'd take anything for him.

Dalton - I think this is a foregone conclusion and hopefully he has high enough value.