In-Season Roster Moves Thread

ArmyBengal

I wouldn't hate McGlinchy and 5th for AJ but I think you can do better.      I'd rather extend AJ over that trade.         There is a downside of losing AJ and it's Erickson, Tate, and Boyd look like solid complimentary WRs but lack separation speed.   There's been very little room to throw since Ross went down, IMO.    Ross can't stay healthy so you really can't count on him.

Adding McGlinchy could free Mixon and that would help with the loss of Green.  

More fiddling around.

The Bengals today signed WR Damion Willis to the practice squad, and released CB Anthony Chesley from the practice squad.

Willis (6-3, 204), a rookie out of Troy University, was a college free agent signee of the Bengals in May and had opened the season on Cincinnati’s active roster before being waived on Wednesday. He played in all seven games (two starts) this season, and recorded nine catches for 82 yards.

Chesley, a rookie, was a college free agent signee of the Bengals in May, and had spent Games 1-7 on Cincinnati’s practice squad.

23 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

More fiddling around.

Not that I wasn't aware of what "fiddling" meant, but something told me there was a joke to be found regarding the Bengals.
I thought, why not go look the word up and see what comes up that could be applied to the Bengals and sure enough...

"Fiddling"
Annoyingly trivial or petty

Seems to sum up the Bengals quite well...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not that I wasn't aware of what "fiddling" meant, but something told me there was a joke to be found regarding the Bengals.
I thought, why not go look the word up and see what comes up that could be applied to the Bengals and sure enough...

"Fiddling"
Annoyingly trivial or petty

Seems to sum up the Bengals quite well...

Something about Nero.  Not that Bengaldom is burning.  It’s done burning, it’s a smoldering ruins.  

• Like 1

The Bengals today signed CB Greg Mabin off the practice squad and placed DT Ryan Glasgow on the Reserve/Injured list.

Mabin (6-2, 200), a third-year player out of the University of Iowa, has spent time on both the active roster and practice squad this year for the Bengals. He played in Game 4 at Pittsburgh (no statistics) and was inactive for Game 5 vs. Arizona. He was originally a college free agent signee of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2017, and also spent time with the Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers. He has played in 21 career games (one start), and has 18 tackles, a pass defensed and a forced fumble.

Glasgow, a third-year player, suffered a right knee injury in Sunday’s game vs. the L.A. Rams. He had played in five games (two starts) this season and recorded seven tackles.

The Bengals today signed LB Brady Sheldon to the practice squad.

Sheldon (6-5, 231), a first-year player out of Ferris State University, originally was a college free agent signee of the Oakland Raiders in 2017. He spent all of 2017 with the Raiders and played in two games (no statistics), before later spending time on the Browns’ and Packers’ practice squads.

Sheldon fills the spot vacated by CB Greg Mabin, who was signed to the active roster from the practice squad on Oct. 30.

Seriously? Lol.

ETA from CJ. Lololol:

He was hurt for the majority of 2018 after signing a one-year deal with the team, but he was rewarded with a three-year $16.5m contract this offseason; a move that rivaled the Bobby Hartsigning in terms of cluelessness.

And that’s what makes this move even more astonishing. The Bengals will now eat $5.4M in dead money to release Brown half a season into his three-year deal.

EATA so if I’ve done the math correctly, Brown’s bonuses and salary for half the year add up to a grand total of $8.29 million for 81 tackles and assists, or $102k per play made.

if you ever wanted proof that the Bengals aren’t cheap, just fukking dumb, there ya go.

Who is making these decisions??? I'm glad they cut him, he's terrible, but what exactly did they "not" know about him less than a year ago?

Meanwhile they're still paying Cordy Glenn, who doesn't even want to play.

I can tell Taylor's frustrated with the LB's, per his press conference comments, but everyone and their damn grandmother knew that group sucked going into the season/draft. 

What's the point of eating his salary, when you can just keep him on the bench and use him if someone gets hurts at least? Who cares at this point? They don't have anyone other than Pratt that can replace him any ways.

I almost wonder if he demanded to be cut or something after his snap count dropped (doubt it, but who knows with this team). I expected/hoped for it in the off-season, but don't see the point of doing it now really.

• Like 1

The only thing I can figure is Zac is letting those LBs know, you better improve or else.  Brown was their highest paid linebacker and, at least in pedigree, their highest ranking guy.  

Here’s a news flash for the dumb asses down at PBS:  The time for these statement personnel moves was late October before the Oct 29 trade deadline, when you could still do something to make the team better.  At this point you’re just cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

Oh wait, I forgot, the trade deadline inconveniently fell during a very important family vacation to Switzerland.  Couldn’t make any moves then.  It’s a lot of work to calculate cap impacts, roster implications, watch film, all that stuff needed to do trades.  Lots easier to just cut a guy, get a few guys off the couch in here for tryouts and sign someone.  Lazy.  

The Bengals are just a family trust fund being used to enrich the family.  That’s all.  Sell the team to Jeff Bezos.  He wants in, has unlimited resources, and the NFL has peaked in about every way.  Imagine the real trust fund they could set up with that billion dollars or whatever it’ll be.  If they wait 20 years they’ll be very sorry they did.

• Like 1

Yahoo reporting Bengals' one of the teams at Kaepernick's workout: (surprising consdering Mike Brown's stance on the anthem protestors)  Although I believe Kaepernick said he would no longer be kneeling before games during the anthem.  Considering their record and situation, I'm not sure you'd want to throw any logs on that fire right now.  I personally have no problem with the guy, but, I know how people can be around here (Cincy).

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/here-are-the-nfl-teams-reportedly-attending-colin-kaepernicks-workout-202525494.html

44 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

so why bring up a WR to replace a Corner?

such a ridiculous operation, this team

Eh, like the old cliche goes, it is what it is. This is what happens when the second half of this year becomes the first half of next year’s preseason. Taxi squad guys get thrown on the field to “see what they got.” Veteran players shut it down for the year. And aside from a handful of cranks like us, fans generally drift away into other things. The holiday season is revving up and this year’s Bengals will, mercifully, be nothing but a bad memory not long after the calendar ticks over to 2020.

I'm guessing that's the last we'll see of Kirk as a Bengal.  Isn't his contract up after this season? 4th highest paid player on the team, the highest paid player got Benched (Dalton), the other hasn't played all season (AJ), and the other has been non-existent (Atkins).  Then there's Dunlap after that,  doesn't look like he has much left in the tank, a mediocre DE at this point in his career, at best.  If this were New England, Atkins would've been traded  2 years ago, Dunlap 2-3 years ago as well.

The Bengals' could potentially free-up around $80 million in cap space this off-season, which will then be gobbled-up by Baghdad Hob's Hobsonian math, so they might have enough left-over to sign another declining vet no one else really wants to pay, that the Bengals' will happily over-pay $1-$3 million for, instead of spending real money or making real effort to acquire any premium Free Agents.  Then again, no one is going to come here right now, unless they're handing out gold bars and private jets as bonuses.

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

so why bring up a WR to replace a Corner?

such a ridiculous operation, this team

Am guessing they don't plan on seeing AJ any time soon, but had hoped they would.  Ross is coming back this week, I believe, so the move is sort of odd (not sure if someone else got hurt or what, I don't pay much attention to anything but tweeted/reported news on them).