Bengals @ Seahawks Week 1 Game Thread

Stripes

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

So Glenn is still out for today’s walkthrough, meaning we can forget about him Sunday. So, in the green coroner, it’s Jadeveon Clowney and Ziggy Ansah, and in the orange corner we have Moobs and Bobby “Turnstile” Hart.

i put the over/under at 3 series before Andy is carted off unconscious.

Yeah this is pretty much what I was going to say - how long til Dalton gets hurt this year? Bernard? Mixon? The big drop-offs in talent of the o-line and LB group will keep this team from doing much of anything consistently.  I just don't see how they can overcome that no matter how good of a job Taylor and his staff do, or the talent they do have.  Same issue as the last few years - offense can't stay on the field or sustain drives, and the defense can't get off the field because they can't stop the running game or stop teams on 3rd down, with no LB's.

I also assume Dennard is out on defense, which is going to hurt as well.  I can't even find positives with Glenn, Dennard and AJ out, they have such fragile depth and poorly managed personnel.

• Like 1

Off topic, but kind of strangely on topic:  I'm reading a little write up about the Bears-Packers game last night.  The Packers held Chicago to 3 points.  And this small bit of analysis arrived:

"Unhappy with their 18th-ranked defense a year ago, the Packers and general manager Brian Gutekunst added a number of new faces to Mike Pettine's unit this offseason.  The additions paid huge dividends against Chicago as the defense outplayed one of the NFL's best.  Edge rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith outmatched Chicago's offensive tackles early and often."

They went on to talk about Preston Smith who is a free agent they signed away from the Redskins having a sack and a half, and Za'Darius Smith, a free agent signing from the Ravens, having a sack and being in the backfield all night.  They also talked about Adrian Amos, free agent safety they signed away from the Bears, getting a pick in the 4th quarter.

My point is they have a GM who figures out a way to plug the holes in their team through FA. 

If only we were a big market team like Green Bay who could afford to upgrade through free agency.  Mike Brown, when is enough money enough money? 

• Like 1

Oh, COB you silly boy, you know they did all they could in FA. Why, Troy said so himself!

Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. ... There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.”

3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah this is pretty much what I was going to say - how long til Dalton gets hurt this year? Bernard? Mixon? The big drop-offs in talent of the o-line and LB group will keep this team from doing much of anything consistently.  I just don't see how they can overcome that no matter how good of a job Taylor and his staff do, or the talent they do have.  Same issue as the last few years - offense can't stay on the field or sustain drives, and the defense can't get off the field because they can't stop the running game or stop teams on 3rd down, with no LB's.

I also assume Dennard is out on defense, which is going to hurt as well.  I can't even find positives with Glenn, Dennard and AJ out, they have such fragile depth and poorly managed personnel.

Yah, that’s pretty much my expectation as well. The O will sink or swim based on the performance of the line, and given the talent level I’m  guessing it will be a lot more sink than swim. 

Maybe Taylor is a miracle worker, I dunno. He’d better be.

as always, would love to be proven wrong.

Lamar Jackson - 324 yards, 5 TD's, nearing the end of the 3rd quarter, up 49-10.  Miami looks...like the worst team in the NFL.  

A part of me wants to win, another part says I would like the Bengals' to have a shot at one of the top 3 QB's coming out next year, which may be the best QB class in a long time (if the under-classmen declare).   So I guess it just means I don't care much either way if they win or lose, have lost the emotional connection to them for now, not worth it, but I love football and that's it.

8 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah I have Hulu, it's great for college ball (which is what I prefer),  but not the NFL.  Guess I'll have to resort to free streams again, and endless pop-ups and annoyances.

I just do tune in radio premium for Sept-Dec. Its $9.99 a month and you get the radio streams for all the games. Not as good as tv obviously but it means I get my nfl fix for $40 a year.

• Like 1