AMPHAR

Offensive Line

It’s looking worse and worse.  They must have begged Westerman.  And they’ll only beg a depth journeyman if they completely suck.

This third preseason game will be revealing.  It’s supposedly the true dress rehearsal for the season.  And I’m talking about the starters, the second half or whatever doesn’t matter.  

I’d like to see Finley in with the other starters, playing against a starting defense.  Just see what he can do.  Sorry Andy, I don’t mean anything by it!  It’s me, not you!  You just deserve a team that feels about you the way you feel about it.  You deserve it.  And you’re not getting that here right now.  We can still be friends though, right?

Finley barfs all over himself in the preseason game.

God Andy I missed you so much!  Remember how we fucked in the parking lot of that Promise Keepers rally?  That was the greatest.  We’re still cool, right?  

• Haha 1

Preseason reveals nothing, IMO.

The first 2 games were not needle movers, IMO.

If you go into the game thinking Bengals will suck then you’ll see things that confirm that and ignore the anything that suggest the opposite.

If you go into the game thinking they are awesome.  You’ll see exactly that. 

That is the fools gold of the preseason. 

Very rarely you get a performance that changes your world view.   Typically IF you do, it’s usually an individual performance.

At least for me anyway.   I can remember watching a select few Bengal rookies play in their first preseason action and thinking they nailed it right off the bat. 

I think this is 6/7 win team then pending momentum and luck/bad luck they could jump or down a few notches. 

I’m guessing I’ll feel that way after the Giants game.  

4 hours ago, COB said:

Westerman has decided not to retire.  This is where our line is. 

Lol. Got a give the team props, they do keep the chuckles coming, that’s for sure.

5 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Preseason reveals nothing, IMO.

The first 2 games were not needle movers, IMO.

If you go into the game thinking Bengals will suck then you’ll see things that confirm that and ignore the anything that suggest the opposite.

If you go into the game thinking they are awesome.  You’ll see exactly that. 

That is the fools gold of the preseason. 

Very rarely you get a performance that changes your world view.   Typically IF you do, it’s usually an individual performance.

At least for me anyway.   I can remember watching a select few Bengal rookies play in their first preseason action and thinking they nailed it right off the bat. 

I think this is 6/7 win team then pending momentum and luck/bad luck they could jump or down a few notches. 

I’m guessing I’ll feel that way after the Giants game.  

Sure, no argument with the preseason games.  Not looking good usually doesn't bode well though, the W/L record is meaningless.  I think a 6-7 win season is certainly best case scenario for them.  

Watching the 1st string play just reminds me of how long we've been watching the same below-average players for years now, would love to see some of the younger guys push a few of those starters, if not replace them.  Not seeing anyone stepping-up yet really, at least on D.  Probably the only thing I get out of preseason.

I didn’t go into the first two games looking for penalties, but I sure as shit saw them. They really need to clean that up. 

Agree about preseason though. Still vanilla...

22 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I'd give up a 2 to Washington for Williams if an only if they coudl also sign him to a fairly friendly (incentive laden) contract/extension that would keep him here for the next 5 years

unless all those conditions are met, I'd rather take our lumps again this year, especially with Jonah returning next year

Word today is that the Pats offered DC their first next year and Washington said no. Our first would probably be more attractive since it’s likely to be a much higher pick, but it doesn’t seem like Washington is in any hurry. Guess we just do the go to war with what we have thing again, since that’s worked so well in the past...

Washington is probably thinking or hoping someone suffers an injury and is willing to offer more.
Still surprised they passed up a first for Williams though. 

• Like 1

If you are predetermined to think this team will suck;  Trent Williams solves nothing other than to maybe move you down the draft board a couple spots. 

Dalton will cost a lot of cap space in his next deal.  

I’m taking Williams if they can get an extended deal keeping him at least 4 years AND less than a 1st. 

Otherwise not worth it, IF you think this team is going to suck.  Which I kinda think they are 6/7 win range. 

I would phrase it that I have no expectations at all for this team right now. I hope they surprise me...but I hope that most years and they rarely do. I agree  on the final record being around 6-7 wins, basically just enough to ensure that the true blue-chippers are beyond reach next April. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If they can’t get the running game going it’s going to be bad on offense this year.

The ball has to come out quick in the passing game which is easier to do with a decent run game.