Draft pick grades after reading scouting reports

I saw Lapham's report after round 1. He said nothing about Dillard;  he did say that he wasn't sure if Cincy would have picked the LB over Jonah Williams if both had been available at 11.

I agree with him. The LB made more sense given how the draft was set up, but the OT was the bigger need. who knows. 

Lap did say prior to the draft that he felt Dillard would be the pick at 11, but he also said that if Williams fell to them he should be the pick instead

If I were picking at that spot and both Bush and Williams had been available, i'd try to trade down first at least a spot since I'd get one or the other, but failing that, I'd take Williams

The D will look a lot better if we can keep the O on the field longer, and the line play largely decides that

• Like 1

Still don't know why people are saying anything about the Steelers stealing one from the Bengals.
People do realize he played in a 3-4 at Michigan that would translate well to the Steelers drafting him right ??
People do realize we don't run a 3-4 here in Cincinnati right ??

Who gives a fuck about Devin Bush ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Still don't know why people are saying anything about the Steelers stealing one from the Bengals.
People do realize he played in a 3-4 at Michigan that would translate well to the Steelers drafting him right ??
People do realize we don't run a 3-4 here in Cincinnati right ??

Who gives a fuck about Devin Bush ??

They had to use 3 picks to get 1 player, no problem

I would have been happy with either Bush or Williams.  I just hope now that Bush has the same kind of success in Pittsburgh as TTUN has had for years against my team.

As for the hand-wringing at LB - I honestly don't get it.  The Devins were gone, and, frankly, getting a legit T was as huge a need for this team as LB. Once the Devins were gone, there was NO reason to reach for the next one. You all saw how far Wilson fell, dude is SLOW and if you look at the tackling metrics, not a particularly good tackler.  I would submit we already have enough of that in the LB room. What they DID do was get a LB who fits the new NFL mold in that he can run like the wind and cover. That we did NOT have enough of in the room.  And, frankly, I suspect we have potentially another guy there as Malik Jefferson was not used last year but has that same profile and Dane Brugler said in one pre-draft interview that if Jefferson were coming out this year, he would have been his LB 5 still. So, really, Pratt and if they actually use Jefferson are two new LBers in the room. Don't forget with regard to Jefferson that this coaching staff had three days of on-field work with him to get comfortable with him (or not) in addition to their film review. I suspect they think they can do something with Malik...

Seeing as how Jefferson was hurt, I'm hopeful they are able to get something from him as well.

As for hand-wringing at the LB spot, I don't think there has been another team over the past 10 seasons that has neglected the position the way the Bengals have.
If this year they feel they finally have players they can work with, great.  I will give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.
Just don't suck this year.  They don't have to be a top 10 LB group, just don't suck and be in the bottom 10.

I give this draft an A minus.  No stupid picks, like guys who missed their whole senior season, or are physical freaks but not football players, or are in trouble with the law or substance abuse.  We could get 3 first year starters out of this draft.  Marvin was such a complete fuckhead.

37 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Seeing as how Jefferson was hurt, I'm hopeful they are able to get something from him as well.

As for hand-wringing at the LB spot, I don't think there has been another team over the past 10 seasons that has neglected the position the way the Bengals have.
If this year they feel they finally have players they can work with, great.  I will give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.
Just don't suck this year.  They don't have to be a top 10 LB group, just don't suck and be in the bottom 10.

Zac Taylor's staff can't make up for 10 years of neglect. It can start to fix it. I would submit they did what was reasonable in starting to do that - getting a rabbit who can tackle in the third round. Once the Devins were gone, 3rd round was the next area of value at LB. To take one before that would have been a hella reach.

• Like 1

Well our LBs suck.  So Bush would have have been a good pick.  But so has our blocking. 

Most people(fans on various message boards radio stations) I hear evaluate our draft ding it because the Steelers trade and Haskins.

I haven’t seen anything that says we were do or die for Bush.  I honestly don’t think they take him if both Williams and he are on the board.  I don’t think they take Bush over Dillard either just based on Lap’s track record.

Haskins was simply overrated this year.  Should have stayed at OSU and then made a serious play for No. 1 overall if his stock was that good. 

Cody Ford was the player they were trying to trade up for according to NY newspaper. 

Soooo...reading between the line listening to Zac Taylor on the podcast with Dehner and Page last night...if Williams and Bush had both been there at 11 - they had Williams higher on their board. He didn't come out and say it, but...that's how it sounded. 

Both LB and OL are needs. Go with the better player. The better player is Jonah Williams. It's really not that hard of a choice. 

Pittsburgh traded up and got a good player. Good for them. They also burnt up a 2nd and 3rd doing it. But in no way did they "get one over" on the Bengals.

• Like 1

If you can't get the best 3-down LB in the draft at #11, then getting the best o-lineman will suffice.  Just not a good year for getting the leader at LB they need.  

Seemed to be more of a focus on identifying guys later in the draft they wanted,  and moving around to get them.  

So, we'll see I guess.  I was surprised they valued a TE so highly in the 2nd, instead of grabbing someone like Greedy Williams. I do not think Dre is the answer they're looking for across from Jackson (neither of whom were very good last year).

File this under for what it is worth:

Reports on Cincy Jungle saying if Williams wasn’t there the Bengals had targeted Lindstorm from BC and/or Ford next on the board.  

The Steelers vast scouting basically put too much faith in the mock drafts of us taking Bush. 

Just out of curiosity, I went back three years to see how we initially graded that draft from 2016

Jackson
Boyd
Vigil
Billings
Westerman
Core
Fejedelem

Most of us gave the draft a "A" or "B" at the time.  I was one who gave it an "A" and still with that grade at this point.
More than pretty solid when looking back at it.