"Official Draft Day(s) Thread"

ArmyBengal

I figured we could use this thread to discuss who the pick is going to be, best players available as the draft goes, trades, etc.

I will have the pick threads pinned and open them once a pick is made, so we can discuss specifically who we took.

With that being said, I agree with much of what most are thinking in that LB/OT has to be the first round pick.
I would love to see the Bengals get aggressive in moving up at some point to get the guys they truly want to have.

It should be interesting in watching how things go with Zac Taylor and his first draft.

I'm still curious to see what happens with players like Darron Lee, which I think would help our line backing corps and can be had in a trade with the Jets.
We have 5 damn sixth round picks, offer two of them.  He has to have more upside than anyone we could add at that point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm still curious to see what happens with players like Darron Lee, which I think would help our line backing corps and can be had in a trade with the Jets.
We have 5 damn sixth round picks, offer two of them.  He has to have more upside than anyone we could add at that point.

I've been hoping to see a trade like this for days for Darren Lee.  He would be an improvement that does not need to be developed.

Assuming no trades (though we definitely don't need all those 6th rounders, they need to package 2 or three of them to move up for quality), I see the following being optimal

Round 1, Overall 11 - OLT who can play ORT for now

Round 2, Overall 42 - Coverage LB (any of the three spots is fine)

Round 3, Overall 72 - OT (either side)

Round 4, Overall 110 - Coverage LB (any of the three spots is fine)

Round 5, Overall 149 - 3 down TE

Round 6, Overall 183 - Developmental QB

Round 6, Overall 198 - RB, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 210 - speed CB, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 211 - speed S, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 213 - WR, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 7, Overall 223 - Coverage LB, prefer superior athlete and/or LS (love Harris, but he's VERY old) over plug-n-play experienced player with less upside.  Could be a DE or second TE or RB here instead

I dont think we should take a DL this year unless the BPA in r6 or later is a DL graded *overwhelmingly* higher than other choices at that time. 

We need to bring in a couple of LS between late draft and/or UDCFAs to compete with Harris, who will be drawing SS benefits soon

• Thanks 1

I’m ok with sitting or trade down.   

The big rub in this draft,IMO, is d-line talent.

Supposed to be very good.  But not among your top needs. 

Lap seems to hitting around the tackles.  I think the roster openings point to that as well. 

If the LBs go then there is a d-line player and/or a tackle dropping. 

Who in the hell watches the "NFL Draft Red Carpet?" Why would anyone watch that? Why does it even exist? This isn't an awards ceremony.  The NFL is so damn cheesy.

I miss the old days where it was just ESPN guys rattling off picks as they came in and commenting on it - all...I....need.  

Interested to see how the top 10 breaks down tonight though, not interested in what Bosa is wearing.

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Assuming no trades (though we definitely don't need all those 6th rounders, they need to package 2 or three of them to move up for quality), I see the following being optimal

Round 1, Overall 11 - OLT who can play ORT for now

Round 2, Overall 42 - Coverage LB (any of the three spots is fine)

Round 3, Overall 72 - OT (either side)

Round 4, Overall 110 - Coverage LB (any of the three spots is fine)

Round 5, Overall 149 - 3 down TE

Round 6, Overall 183 - Developmental QB

Round 6, Overall 198 - RB, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 210 - speed CB, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 211 - speed S, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 6, Overall 213 - WR, prefer PR/KR skills

Round 7, Overall 223 - Coverage LB, prefer superior athlete and/or LS (love Harris, but he's VERY old) over plug-n-play experienced player with less upside.  Could be a DE or second TE or RB here instead

I dont think we should take a DL this year unless the BPA in r6 or later is a DL graded *overwhelmingly* higher than other choices at that time. 

We need to bring in a couple of LS between late draft and/or UDCFAs to compete with Harris, who will be drawing SS benefits soon

11 - Bush. LB Michigan. Gotta get that LB. 

42 - Layne. CB  Mich state. Push to start outside. 

72 - Wilson. LB Alabama. Starter value 

110 - Cajuste. OT WV new anchor

149 - Moreau. TE LSU  need depth

183 - Rypien. QB Boise st  need arm talent 

198 - Homer. RB Miami  fill the depth pool

210 - Hyatt. OT Clemson depth from quality group  

211 - Connely. LB Wisconsin   Talent and depth  

213 - Denis.  FS Boston College depth

223 - Jones. OG NC st  depth 

32 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

getting OT help too late, and we definitely dont need an OG this year, and thats waaaaaay too early for a CB

and wait a sec here - werent you killed by the Predator?

Ya! Someone got it. 

Never too early for CB depth or too many interior linemen. It’s the 7th round. 

3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Who in the hell watches the "NFL Draft Red Carpet?" Why would anyone watch that? Why does it even exist? This isn't an awards ceremony.  The NFL is so damn cheesy.

I miss the old days where it was just ESPN guys rattling off picks as they came in and commenting on it - all...I....need.  

Interested to see how the top 10 breaks down tonight though, not interested in what Bosa is wearing.

I’m watching it, because.....why not?

They’ve turned this into a primetime event.  I miss the all day Saturday draft fest too.

But I do like the Thursday and Friday night too.  

I think TE pick would be the only thing that would disappoint.

Any D-line pick, I understand but wonder how you are getting them on the field this year.

Any OT pick A+.  Just seems like a highly graded class.  Best in a couple years.Time to get one or two.

Top 2 Devins at LB - A+ , just a huge need and well ranked prospects 

QB I just don’t see it at 11.  

Let’s talk about Marvin’s draft fails.  I’ll start.  He drafted a very talented place kicker, then cut him after camp after he predictably wasn’t his best in his first camp.  That kicker went on to win the Super Bowl his rookie year with the Eagles.  Marvin went on to giggle in press conferences and be a condescending d-bag.

• Haha 1