Lap Says Bengals are looking at Sweat

cincyhokie

Depends on how deep they feel the LB class is. If they think they can get a Pro Bowl type player, then they'll go for it. Montez Sweat is a type of player that can disrupt each play even if he doesn't get a sack or make a tackle. Unfortunately the Bengals are so deficient on defense they SHOULD take the most dynamic player available. 

I do think they will go defense in the first round looking for an absolute stud. OL will come in the 2nd and 3rd round possibly. Or at least it should. 

I think they have Oliver, White, Sweat, Burns, and Gary on their "big board" and I do think that they'll get one of these guys on Thursday.

What's really interesting about Lap's comment is that by targeting Sweat the Bengals are probably considering Rashan Gary and Brian Burns as well. If Oliver or Devin White are there at 11, that's an obvious choice. Both won't be there. But one might be. Then if both are gone they'll go something like: Sweat, Gary, Burns. 

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

And why exactly would we do that ?? Seems like a luxury pick when we have so many players there. I’d rather roll with what we have there and build another position that is far more needy.

Because this dude is Julius Peppers basically. He's a freak.

Thing is, there are no guarantees that any player is going to be the next All Pro. All it takes is a look at the roster to see you have a hell of a lot more talent at DE than you do at either LB or the o-line. Why take a chance on a player that would not even present as the BPA when you could take a higher rated player at a position of need ??

If they were going to go the route of something different for the defense, I would recommend teaming Geno with Oliver on the interior of the line. Even THAT makes more sense then DE.

i would root on Sweat and think he will be solid, but I would downgrade that pick from minute one.

I haven't heard much on Gary other than that he might fall into the 20's. Due to his lack of statistical production.

What people aren't talking about is that he played half of the season injured. And that opposing offenses schemed away from him consistently. However, he is a disruptive force in the middle. You have to understand that with the endless amount of draft info, there is so much lazy and shared projections on almost every player outside the top of the top players.

Here's a better look. You don't need to watch more than 5 minutes to see. Gary isn't bad at all. 

I think it's important to consider the defense as a whole. It's easy to pick on the LB's and see that they are extremely deficient there. But what happens to the defense if they get a high end pass rusher? Dunlap is good but he's getting older and could use a compliment across from him. Plus Michael Johnson is gone. The Bengals absolutely need a difference maker, a play maker on defense. If Devin White is there, take him. If he isn't get a disrupter on the front 7. Period. That will improve the entire defense. DE should definitely be on the table and either White, Sweat, or Gary will be there at 11. Note: The Bengals hosted Sweat and Gary for a visit.

I thought the D-line was surprisingly weak against the run all season. 

I believe the underneath coverage and bad tackling undermined the pass rush ability.

I thought Geno had a monster year despite the lull in sack numbers in the middle of the season. 

I understand the franchise grades for D-line and edge guys and that could pay dividends more seasons down the road,BUT how are you getting them snaps this year?  Quality rush opportunities? 

There are immediate snaps available for a guy like White and Bush at an extremely weak area. 

I dunno know.  We’ll see. 

In looking at the depth chart on ESPN, you'll find this at DE:
Dunlap, Willis, Hubbard, Lawson

You'll find this at LB:
Brown, Vigil, Evans, Nickerson, Jefferson, and Worley

You'll find this at OT:
Glenn, Hart, and Perkins

You could argue that OT is the #1 need and should be the priority.  (I would argue that)
I would also argue that more than half the linebackers are unknowns at this point.

While I would not argue that DE is the #1 or #2 need, they could certainly use the help.
Honestly, I would put DT right there with DE as far as need and maybe slightly ahead.
There's just not much besides Geno there and if he goes down, they are screwed.

Rumors about Sweat are flying.  Matt Miller, who claims he is an nfl scout of some type on Twitter, tweeted that Sweat is falling due to something teams are uncovering during team physicals.  Possible Spy vs Spy type subterfuge, someone trying to get him later than they should.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

In looking at the depth chart on ESPN, you'll find this at DE:
Dunlap, Willis, Hubbard, Lawson

You'll find this at LB:
Brown, Vigil, Evans, Nickerson, Jefferson, and Worley

You'll find this at OT:
Glenn, Hart, and Perkins

You could argue that OT is the #1 need and should be the priority.  (I would argue that)
I would also argue that more than half the linebackers are unknowns at this point.

While I would not argue that DE is the #1 or #2 need, they could certainly use the help.
Honestly, I would put DT right there with DE as far as need and maybe slightly ahead.
There's just not much besides Geno there and if he goes down, they are screwed.

Got to add Wynn to the DE list after FA signing, there just is no reason to spend a high pick on DE.  S, DE, P are 3 positions i'm happy to go to into the 2019 season  as is.

I'm coming around to DT early but it has to be OT and LB in 2 of the first 3 picks.  Than double up on OT and LB with some of those 6 rounders and hope you hit a long shot.

4 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Got to add Wynn to the DE list after FA signing, there just is no reason to spend a high pick on DE.  S, DE, P are 3 positions i'm happy to go to into the 2019 season  as is.

I'm coming around to DT early but it has to be OT and LB in 2 of the first 3 picks.  Than double up on OT and LB with some of those 6 rounders and hope you hit a long shot.

You go DE because it’s an impact position. Right behind QB in its influence on a game. The Bengals defense sucked so bad they need to draft for impact, not position.

8 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

You go DE because it’s an impact position. Right behind QB in its influence on a game. The Bengals defense sucked so bad they need to draft for impact, not position.

Don't care, we have three young guns that show good promise, a FA that looks good and Dunlap who is proven.  No room for more DE players and not as much of an increase in impact than a much better OT or LB. 

This reeks of a pick like Ross was, a player that looks real good but doesn't pan out as well (right away) as you would think because of lack of opportunity to get in the game full time.

Cover LB is as big of an impact position as DE, anyway.

14 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Don't care, we have three young guns that show good promise, a FA that looks good and Dunlap who is proven.  No room for more DE players and not as much of an increase in impact than a much better OT or LB. 

This reeks of a pick like Ross was, a player that looks real good but doesn't pan out as well (right away) as you would think because of lack of opportunity to get in the game full time.

Cover LB is as big of an impact position as DE, anyway.

Well you might have to convince Zac Taylor and the Bengals because they are high on improving the front seven of the 31st ranked defense.

The other thing that spot picking for need does is weaken depth. We found that under Lewis.

Sure we have Hubbard but he’s nothing like a top 10 DE. Dunlap? He’s good but not a game changer. Plus what happens if there’s an injury? The new guy Wynn plays more? You simply can’t have enough pass rushers.

I understand improving D-line but it’s not going to matter if a team can throw a 3 yard pass and end up 2nd and 4 all game long. 

They have to get better coverage out of LBs and ones that can run and cut down ball carriers quickly. 

There are some great edge and d-line prospects.   How are they going to get them on the field this year in situations so they can make great impacts?   You’d have to hope they hit on LB latter, I guess. 

1 hour ago, COB said:

Rumors about Sweat are flying.  Matt Miller, who claims he is an nfl scout of some type on Twitter, tweeted that Sweat is falling due to something teams are uncovering during team physicals.  Possible Spy vs Spy type subterfuge, someone trying to get him later than they should.

He had a heart condition as a kid I think.  

With my thought of DT being ahead of DE as a "need", that argument just got stronger as they have waived DT Adolphus Washington.

That leaves Atkins and Billings as the starters and a backup crew of:
Niles Scott, Christian Ringo, and Ryan Glasgow

Let those names sink in for a minute.