Sign in to follow this  
ArmyBengal

2019 Reds

Once upon a time, the Reds were decent enough that I made threads for each of their series.  Well, that hasn't happened in a while.
With that, I give you the 2019 Cincinnati Reds thread !!!

Today is opening day and our beloved Redlegs kick off the season with the Pirates in town.
I don't know how the season is going to end, but the Reds appear to be an improved team from last year.
I'm interested to see if the pitching upgrades will be enough and I can't wait to see Puig crushing the ball in GABP !!!

Hoping for a fun season and getting down to the ballpark again soon !!!

Right there with you on this.  They look better than they have for awhile.  Hoping to still be interested in baseball past the all-star game this year.

A win and the big guys really did not do much, all bottom of the order and bench players.  A good sign?  I hope so.

I'll take the win however they get them.  They liked to give that away in the top of the 9th.
What did they go through ??  Like 9 pitchers ??  Crazy...

At least they won the opening day game.

Since then, they've yet to win another and have set low attendance records at GABP.
While I don't think the weather has helped them, wow, that's bad.

Good golly, 3 games in a row they get shutout.  Need to keep their heads above water and get through this slump, because they’re set up to make a run at it this year.

1-8?  What is going on with the Reds.  I watched them load up this year like they were really going for it.  Puig and Kemp are not just journeymen holding a place while the talent develops in the minors.  What is happening?  I am a tribe fan but keep one eye on the reds, but haven’t read or heard why they’re struggling.

1-8 was not something I saw coming either.  Hard to say they should be contending, but I didn't expect this.
Then again, when you don't score runs for 3 games in a row, you probably aren't winning many games either.

They're going to rely heavily on offense to compete all year.  They opened the season on a horrendous offensive drought.  They've improved enough to sweep the terrible Marlins though.

4-8 with a home series against St. Louis will be a nice indicator of whether they're crawling out of the dumpster.

While they got swept by the Dodgers, they took 3 of 4 from the Padres in San Diego.  Also took the first one against the Braves last night.
They still find themselves in the basement, but only 4.5 games back and not really playing bad baseball.
I'm still watching, so that's saying something. 

Yep, I still believe if they can start hitting and keep pitching this well they could...

Well they could be interesting for a while this year, but they have potential finally.

The hitting has been strange to this point.
I remember when Scooter went down and they said Igelsias would start at SS.
People said you would love his glove, but hate his bat.  Well, he's batting .286, which is more than most can say.

Outside of that, Peraza is just a mess hitting .159 and needs to take a seat on the bench.
Puig and Winker are hitting .183 and .182 respectively.  That sucks.

They really need to get these guys going.  There's just no reason to hit that poorly at this level.

Somehow this team has given up the fewest runs in the majors, but they've also scored the fifth-fewest.  That is the opposite of what I expected.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, ArmyBengal said:

The hitting has been strange to this point.
I remember when Scooter went down and they said Igelsias would start at SS.
People said you would love his glove, but hate his bat.  Well, he's batting .286, which is more than most can say.

Outside of that, Peraza is just a mess hitting .159 and needs to take a seat on the bench.
Puig and Winker are hitting .183 and .182 respectively.  That sucks.

They really need to get these guys going.  There's just no reason to hit that poorly at this level.

Puig has history and will come back around closer to his normal

Winker needs to stop trying to be a hero and start making solid contact,  Peraza really is shocking after last season

If the team can just start hitting to the historical norms, with this pitching they can make up ground quick. 

Slowly heading in the right direction.  Another explosion of the bats last night in St Louis, I hope it sticks around a while this time.

The Indians can’t hit.  It’s a historic level of run production, not in a good way, either.  

Just from last year they list Michael Brantley, Edwin Encarnacion, and Yan Gomes.  That’s a ton of good hitting, replaced by guys who are nowhere close to that level.  The Indians owner has also already dropped obvious hints that he won’t pay our great young shortstop.  Went so far as to say, “enjoy him while you can.”   He’s wrecking the Indians.

I’ll be heading to Cinci at least twice this year to watch the Reds, at this point I’d rather see them in person.

The Reds just need to figure out hitting as well.

If they were a little more consistent, they might actually move out of the basement.