Alliance of American Football

Stripes

I know it's not the NFL, but they're partnered with them so close enough.

Is anyone watching these games?  I am having a ton of fun with the new league and its rule adaptations.  There are no obvious rooting interests for people in the area of Cincinnati, though there are league affiliates in the AAF.  Each of the 8 AAF teams has four NFL affiliates and one CFL affiliate.  The Bengals are affiliated with the Memphis Express (who just got smashed 26-0 today).

Yeah was going to check YouTube for some clips, but can't say as I'm really all that interested.
I heard someone explain that these guys look to be on the cusp of being NFL practice squad players.
Quality of play like the 2nd half of a preseason game.

Can't say as that inspires me to watch any of it.
Then again Marvin appears to be the perfect TV analyst for that league.

"He's really going to have to execute better if they want to win this game"
"That was clearly not a fumble.  I still think the coach should challenge that play."
"4th and 1 at their 45 and down by 6 with 1:30 left on the clock.  Punt !!!"

Yes, the majority of the players in the league (81% according to the broadcasts) have been signed to an NFL contract at least once.  There are some recognizable names too, like Trent Richardson.

What really draws me to this thing is their experimentation with the fundamental rules of the game.  They have made changes that many NFL people have mused about but never had the balls for.  They've eliminated all kickoffs and onside kicks (the latter being replaced by a 4th-and-12 attempt by the scoring team).  Extra point attempts are gone; teams must attempt two-point conversions.  The play clock is accelerated, and the number of commercial breaks is drastically reduced.  The total game time is closer to 2.5 hours now.  Fans are given full view of the replay official in the booth as he/she makes critical decisions on calls/no-calls on the field.

The league structure is also really well-conceived in a way that I think should encourage fans to genuinely invest emotion in the outcomes.  Every franchise is regionally affiliated like I suggested earlier, but that includes colleges too.  There is no "draft" apart from the quarterback position; teams draw their players either from the NFL, or from a regional subset of colleges located around each other.  For example, the Birmingham Iron draw players from both Alabama and Auburn -- fans of those schools are given a clear reason to identify with and enjoy Iron football games.

There are no midwestern or northeastern teams to this point, which is understandable.  Playing up there in February is a tough pill to swallow without a dome.  I think it will come though, and the regional setup will be so cool.  Imagine, for example, a "minor league" team based in Dayton or Toledo or wherever that draws from Ohio State, UC, Miami (Ohio), etc.  To me, that sounds so awesome.

Yeah guys the game that Marvin announced was actually pretty dang good football.

Think talented power 6 college ball guys and even better players.  

I liked how the rules played out and Stripes is right the time was way way shorter and I didn’t even notice it till he wrote that. Less Ads.  

Good coaching going on too.  They are paying good salaries for guys who want to be pro players so that league has a chance to stick.  

On 2/17/2019 at 5:51 AM, Stripes said:

Check out the second half of Salt Lake @ Birmingham if you're around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT0F8EZYEEA

Yeah one thing I was not happy about is the games weren’t all on NFL Network... I got the international game pass subscription but could only get 1game opening weekend...

How are you all watching?  Just YouTube or is NBC or somebody in on it?   ( can’t get the big networks in Japan)

10 hours ago, GapControl said:

Yeah one thing I was not happy about is the games weren’t all on NFL Network... I got the international game pass subscription but could only get 1game opening weekend...

How are you all watching?  Just YouTube or is NBC or somebody in on it?   ( can’t get the big networks in Japan)

All of the games are streamed live on the AAF website (aaf.com).  The CBS games are contractually restricted though, so they don't have an actual broadcast -- it's just stadium and game sounds.

Which is fantastic.  Screw commentators.

7 hours ago, Stripes said:

All of the games are streamed live on the AAF website (aaf.com).  The CBS games are contractually restricted though, so they don't have an actual broadcast -- it's just stadium and game sounds.

Which is fantastic.  Screw commentators.

Awesome I’ll try it out!