Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

• 2 months later...

As part of his ongoing quest to get paid for working in football without actually working, Marvin somehow blackmailed Herm Edwards into signing him to his staff at Arizona State.

But he cant have contact with the players.  He won’t be coaching.  He’ll be a “sounding board” for the staff and will be sort of an unofficial spokesman.  In other words, he’ll fill the same role he filled in Cincinnati.  He’ll be a smug douche who chortles at the uninformed questions of non-insiders, and that’s all he’ll fucking be.  

As time passes it becomes more and more apparent that Marvin just plain didn’t work very hard these last 6 or 7 years.  And he sure as hell doesn’t want to start now.

• Like 1

What COB said - it was painfully apparent that Marvin simply wasn’t as prepared and didn’t have his team as prepared as opponents - and that was glaring in the “big games”. 

I’m not sure how hard Marvin did or didn’t work.    All I know from 2012-2015 he some of the best talent in the league. 

0 playoff wins.  Mostly playoff embarrassment.   A lot of primetime embarrassments.

Brown family got lazy or comfortable with Marvin so it’s not a big leap to think he was comfortable too. 

Brown family really has no pride.  I would be fuming knowing the hard work it took to mine the talent and not get credit because every time people watched they sucked. 

How could you keep a coach that long, if supposedly cared about winning?  

• 2 weeks later...

Mixon and Ross are blabbing about how good the energy is, how positive and different things are, and how confident the whole team is that they’ll outshine expectations.

Glad Arizona State brought Marvin in so they don’t suffer from enthusiasm and confidence.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, COB said:

Mixon and Ross are blabbing about how good the energy is, how positive and different things are, and how confident the whole team is that they’ll outshine expectations.

Glad Arizona State brought Marvin in so they don’t suffer from enthusiasm and confidence.

I'm not prepared to bet the farm on the "Taylor is God" bandwagon - are they just saying what the coaches want to hear??  Let's see what their stats say at the end of the season.

Mixon is already a proven talent but comes with a history, Ross has come with a reputation but delivered zilch thus far in his career .....

2 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

I'm not prepared to bet the farm on the "Taylor is God" - are they what the coaches want to hear??  

No need to bet the farm.  Taylor is unproven for sure.  

But after 3 straight losing seasons with an uninspiring, tired, blase’, Marvin at the helm, I share the optimism the players are showing.  

And I can read between the lines of their repeated  “things are so different now” themed statements.  They consistently say it’s different, there is energy now, accountability, competition.  The negative implication is that those things were missing under Marvin.  

I’m happy to jump on the Taylor hype bus.  Listening to the players throw Marvin under that bus?  Sweet payback for the years of snarky, snide, disses Marvin served up to the press and the fans.

20 hours ago, COB said:

This is why I come here.

i laughed. 

Marvin Lewis coached the Bengals for 16 years. He worked as an assistant in the NFL for 11 years before that. With nearly three full decades in the NFL, has it been a difficult transition for Lewis to leave pro football?

No, it has not,” Lewis recently told Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio.

Does he miss it?

“I do not.”

Will he return at some point?

“I don’t think so. I’m fine.”

Lewis was talkative in response to most of Gelb’s questions. But the answers became short and quick when certain topics came up, like why did the Bengals fail in the postseason on his watch?

“The other team ended up with more points,” Lewis said.

Lewis, who will work with former NFL coach Herm Edwards at Arizona State this year after giving TV a test drive, sounds like he won’t be paying much/any attention to pro football in 2019.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/16/marvin-lewis-doesnt-miss-the-nfl-may-not-watch-games/

In a related article, the Bengals fans were asked some questions recently.

Has it been a difficult transition from Marvin Lewis to Zac Taylor ??
"No, it has not."

Do you miss him ??
"No we don't."

Do you hope he returns at some point ??
"F*CK HIM"

Why did the Bengals fail in the postseason on Marvin's watch ??
"Because Marvin obviously never really gave a shit and couldn't resist being a snarky prick at every opportunity."

Sounds like Bengals fans won't be paying much attention to what Marvin does in 2019...

• Like 2

Among the many reasons I want Zac Taylor to succeed is I want his success to de-validate Marvin’s style and methods.  

All the ‘not my job to motivate players, halftime adjustments are a myth, why’d we lose games? Because the other team scored more points,’ all that fucking bullshit he spewed for years.  I want it all exposed for what it was, the musings of a disinterested, burned out, inflexible old timer who refused to learn or to change.  It’s a ***damn national tragedy that Billy didn’t live long enough to see Marvin and his whole regime get shown the door.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 3:20 PM, COB said:

Among the many reasons I want Zac Taylor to succeed is I want his success to de-validate Marvin’s style and methods.  

All the ‘not my job to motivate players, halftime adjustments are a myth, why’d we lose games? Because the other team scored more points,’ all that fucking bullshit he spewed for years.  I want it all exposed for what it was, the musings of a disinterested, burned out, inflexible old timer who refused to learn or to change.  It’s a ***damn national tragedy that Billy didn’t live long enough to see Marvin and his whole regime get shown the door.

Don't disagree necessarily, but we'll find out that the coaches really aren't the root cause of the problems here.  It's an ownership that doesn't want to win badly enough, always has been.

17 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Don't disagree necessarily, but we'll find out that the coaches really aren't the root cause of the problems here.  It's an ownership that doesn't want to win badly enough, always has been.

Eh, Marvin owns his playoff/primetime record.

Across the board the team would shit the bed.  

Ownership is accountable for keeping those coaches around for so long.  

Marvin had some good teams and was probably propped up a little bit with excellent coordinators and a hot streak of drafting supplying some league best rosters. 

I don’t see how anyone could deflect blame from Marvin when you watch those playoff primetime games.   Nightmares of mismanagement and choking. 

1. Fights at halftime

2. Fights on the sideline

3. Out of challenges in first quarter

4. Fights in middle of the field 

5. Qb meltdowns

just ugly. 

So ownership gets to improve by hiring the right coach. 

It's kind of both. Ownership and coach have been sucking. Ownership can't fire itself. They just make the best decisions from here on out.

I really like the decision to hire Taylor. Now, we'll figure out if he's as good of a coach as the decision was to hire him.

• 1 year later...