Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

I’ve never said we didn’t have a talent problem, I said there is still talent on this team (see players mentioned) and that saying the Atkins and Dunlap are aging seems like bullshit. Let them him UFA and see what happens.

The difference in 4-3 vs 3-4 is skewed when the defense has run out the nickel the majority of the time. Someone remind me again how many times we have said getting both Hubbard and Lawson on the field more would be a good thing.

Sticking with a true base 4-3 will require all new linebackers because what we have left sucks. A 3-4 would allow DE’ish guys with speed to play the OLB spots.

I will stand ready to say I was off if I’m reading things incorrectly, but I would be more intrigued with them making a switch at this point. I expect them to suck anyway. Build for the future.

Fans are losing their shit over this. Why? Did we think that we were a DC away from a championship? Or are they worried about the acumen of Zac Taylor? He already came out and said he would find his guys on his staff and make sure they were a fit. He turned down Del Rio and that guy from LA. That's a good thing! He's not panicking. Comparisons to Dave Shula? Really? Dave Shula would be in a ball in a corner somewhere right now. 

Sure, you can criticize Zac Taylor for not having a pre-made staff assembled before he was hired. But the guy is 35 years old and he isn't Sean McVay with Wade Phillips in his back pocket heading to Los Angeles. All of this is a non story once a DC is hired and we'll wait and see what happens this season. But what are we going to do? Fire him? Everybody needs to chill. He's making the best of an inconvenient situation. He's not panicking. That's the most important part. 

This season was going to be so-so at best no matter who was the DC, or OC. And I do have confidence that if the DC he chooses shits the bed, he'll be on a short leash. 

• Like 1

Taylor’s slow rolling the DC hire, then getting slow rolled himself by the reluctance of various candidates, won’t hurt him at all with Mike.  

I think Mike actually likes it when the Bengals do things markedly differently than other teams.  He seems to enjoy being an iconoclast.  Kind of like no sweat, we got this.  

He likes to run the team like we’re ultra successful.  Kind of like, “we’ll only go with the exact right guy, no rush here.”  He acted the same way with Marvin.  “New coach?  Why?  We’re all good here.  Only scrub teams desperately churn their coaching staffs.  We’re above that.  It’s us, and the Patriots.”

Again Marvin Lewis coach of one of the greatest Defenses ever swung and missed twice with D-Coordinators starting out. 

Zimmer who transformed the defensive preception of the franchise was not the fans first choice it was Rex Ryan.

Then Marvin on his way out made another horrible d-cord hire. 

IMO, it’s just something to talk about. 

Looks like they are set to interview the Giants DB coach for their defense coaching position. 

This really does not excite me any but whatever anymore.

I guess will see how the coaching staff makes out, but if they hire him as the defense coordinator, that leaves a pretty inexperienced coaching staff. Hopefully they make a name for themselve, but who knows.

Hopefully this is not a reach because they can't get anyone else to take the job

3 hours ago, volcom69 said:

So if you stay a 4-3 then I wonder why Del Rio was not a fit. Guess will never know.

From everything reported, it is as simple as he and Taylor simply did not mesh. Hard to get mad at Taylor being given the autonomy to make that call.

31 minutes ago, membengal said:

From everything reported, it is as simple as he and Taylor simply did not mesh. Hard to get mad at Taylor being given the autonomy to make that call.

No not mad at all I was just wondering why they didn't see eye to eye. 

Hey if this is the group of guys he wanted, and he feels are going to take the bengals far, then let's get this thing going.

Im excited to see how the draft and free agency plays out with these new guys, hopefully it's changed as well.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, AMPHAR said:

Fake report about Burfict.   However,  he was sloooooooow last year.

1. His micro fracture catching up?

2. Was he PEDing to make up for micro fracture?  Now that those are gone?

3. Just out of shape?

He is in danger of being cut for sure.  

Probably shouldn't be playing football at all anymore, lost count of how many times he came out of games for concussion protocol, and how many he's actually had.  He should be persuaded to retire.

I just read up on this dude.  I’m happy with the hire.  He answered more questions honestly in his first interview than Marvin did in the last ten years.

He grew up in the league under Kevin Coyle.  Seems really bright, mature, adaptive, and knows the D our current players were drafted in. 

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches