Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

43 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'm glad Taylor is being given the freedom to bring in someone he wants.  What's the point of a new head coach if we're going to force staffing decisions upon him?

Yea that's great and the way it should be but the problem is nobody seems to want to work with him.

I just like Del Rio thought he would be an awesome defense coach here, and would help out the new young head coach. 

Also seemed like he wanted to come here which at this point is a plus.

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah terrible.  I wonder what the hang-up's are about.  Haven't seen anything "official" about the Del Rio situation, but if that's true, c'mon.  

Cincy Jungle wrote about it, there are a couple articles stating this, but who knows if they are true just going by what they are saying.

I would have liked to see what Del Rio would have done with the defense, but if Taylor doesn't want him, then screw Del Rio.

I'm good with him having the autonomy to bring in someone that fits (even if they are a no body) then to simply fill a slot by being forced.

Yeah, I didn't think teams could block a promotion either.  Glenn is considered an up and coming coaching candidate.

Marquand Manuel ??  What's your thoughts on him AMPHAR ??  Can't say as he does anything for me as a candidate.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - 12/31/2018

Marquand Manuel.     

1.  I think today’s NFL is going to require hybrid safeties.  Players that can run/cover but also function as LB.    So him being a former safety is a plus.

Mostly he’s just a grinder.  6th round pick grinded out 8/9 year career.   Scholar in Highschool and College.  Might have gotten his masters.

Soon as his NFL playing days are over he’s grinding up the ladder in coaching.

His Atlanta Falcons defense sucked.   So we’ll see what happens but I think he’ll bring a lot of good reality experience to the table. 

Del Rio would have been my choice but a young secondary type coach would have been my choice over Capers.

Grantham was surprising to me.  First that he even considered it.  But then 2nd interview and eventual Florida raise.  IMO, that’s pretty impressive for Taylor even if he didn’t land him. 

Keep in mind. Lewis coordinated one of the greatest defenses ever. 

His defenses sucked until Zimmer showed up and they started hitting on draft picks.

Many many X-Raven defense coaches were promoted up the ladder even up to head coach.   They should all write Ray Lewis a check.

Lewis had bad hires at D-Coordinators.   It’s a critical hire but these past weeks are being overblown. 

The biggest thing will be talent for any new d-coordinator.   Same with O-line. 

Finally some "reasons" in the Enquirer: 

In Grantham's evaluation, according to a source, the Bengals defense had issues that would hamper his ability to be successful from the start in 2019. 

Specifically, the source said, Grantham was concerned about the Bengals' aging defensive line and lack of linebackers. Geno Atkins, the Bengals' lone Pro Bowl selection this season, is 30. Defensive end Carlos Dunlap turns 30 later this month. 

Those issues would accentuate growing pains if Grantham's 3-4 scheme was implemented after 16 seasons of running a 4-3 base defense under Lewis. The Bengals have young talent among the front seven, notably Carl Lawson and Sam Hubbard, but Grantham, according to sources, wasn't sure the personnel would immediately translate to his preferred scheme. 

I don't know, those seem like excuses because Grantham wanted to negotiate himself a raise.   Again I thought that being able to utilize Hubbard, Lawson and (maybe) Dunlap as outside/edge LB's in a 3-4 would actually make it easier on a DC who needs to replace 3 LB positions otherwise in a 4-3.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Atkins being 30 is silly,  same with Dunlap,  in this case.  They'll hold you over for 2-3 years while you find new guys, what's the fuss? Did this guy expect to be handed a top 5 NFL defense with young players at every position? 

So it just seems like an excuse, or maybe something the writer made-up, as I didn't see any source mentioned for those comments. 

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Finally some "reasons" in the Enquirer: 

I don't know, those seem like excuses because Grantham wanted to negotiate himself a raise.   Again I thought that being able to utilize Hubbard, Lawson and (maybe) Dunlap as outside/edge LB's in a 3-4 would actually make it easier on a DC who needs to replace 3 LB positions otherwise in a 4-3.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Atkins being 30 is silly,  same with Dunlap,  in this case.  They'll hold you over for 2-3 years while you find new guys, what's the fuss? Did this guy expect to be handed a top 5 NFL defense with young players at every position? 

So it just seems like an excuse, or maybe something the writer made-up, as I didn't see any source mentioned for those comments. 

The Bengals have fired coordinators recently.  Why would some take a lateral move and risk losing money and rep?

Guys making money at big time colleges also get the perks of being a celeb in their sports communities.  

I call it lateral because the money is similar, the risk of failure is greater, and with the new NFL’s passing rules some college guys just aren’t going to give up what they’ve already got.

And Shula’s dead on about Atkins and Dunlap... watch them during game time.  Those guys are two of the best in the world.  

1 minute ago, COB said:

Did we have some sort of mystery turnover on our roster between the time he agreed to not just one but two interviews?  Because it sure seems like he’d know who we had before he’d even talk to us.

Exactly.  

Spin it this way.   Let’s say it’s an guy for OC...

Yeah not sure about that AJ Green, he’s 30 and you know, may not fit my offense right... and only 1 other 1st round receiver and just a 2nd rounder coming off a career year on his first contract...yeah the pieces just aren’t fitting... 

Sorry, don’t buy any of these guys are turning down jobs with the Bengals because of roster talent

Grantham is right about our linebackers though. As in we don’t have any.  Unless Vontaze discovers some amazing new masking agent that no one can detect yet.  Our linebacker room is the real national emergency, not that that son of a bitch Trump gives a crap, even after my 100 plus emails sent through my infowars account so I knew he’d read them.  I’m like, “national emergency = send troops to the draft and sieze the top 5 linebackers for the Bengals, peace and prosperity reigns and enemy of the people media are defeated.”  He doesn’t even answer, too busy sending a regiment of artillery to southern Arizona to deal with some 9 year old girl who snuck in with her Dora the Explorer backpack.  

9 hours ago, COB said:

Grantham is right about our linebackers though. As in we don’t have any.  Unless Vontaze discovers some amazing new masking agent that no one can detect yet.  Our linebacker room is the real national emergency, not that that son of a bitch Trump gives a crap, even after my 100 plus emails sent through my infowars account so I knew he’d read them.  I’m like, “national emergency = send troops to the draft and sieze the top 5 linebackers for the Bengals, peace and prosperity reigns and enemy of the people media are defeated.”  He doesn’t even answer, too busy sending a regiment of artillery to southern Arizona to deal with some 9 year old girl who snuck in with her Dora the Explorer backpack.  

Hahahaha!!!  Seriously it is a national emergency.  Build a Wall of Real Talent for the bengals linebackers lol

You guys aren’t dealing in reality.

1st we don’t have 3-4 personnel today.  

2nd it would take cap and draft magic to overhaul by year 2. 

3rd Grantham has a ton of 4 and 5 star athletes to pick from to stockpile for his college defense that isn’t limited by salary cap or draft picks. 

Yes we have a talent problem compared to his situation in Florida. 

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches