Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

There are a ton of Gator fans not happy that they could lose Grantham. He has been a tremendous defense coach in college, I love how emotional he gets on the field. Not sure how he will do back in the NFL, but loved watching his defenses.

I know he coached at Georgia as well didn't he coach Atkins?

Don’t really care one way or the other right now about coaching hires.   We’ll see the results soon enough.

The most important thing is; gone are the days of speculating which coach is being forced upon the head coach by Mike Brown.

Now Tobin is the top football person in the building.   Can he get it done?  Can he work with his coaching selection?  How do they mold the staff and roster together?

Is there a tipping point in which Taylor overcomes Tobin in favor from Blackburn’s? 

What would cause them to look for a new GM? 

Gone are the days of owner trying to be father/football guy and holding onto coaches players because loyalty.

None of these hires seem to be Mike Brown influenced at all.   How much of it is Tobin? 

All this should have happened in 1998 after Pickens acted out and carrying a “New Dey” into a new stadium.   20 years late and slowly they’ve gotten there. 

9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Don’t really care one way or the other right now about coaching hires.   We’ll see the results soon enough.

The most important thing is; gone are the days of speculating which coach is being forced upon the head coach by Mike Brown.

Now Tobin is the top football person in the building.   Can he get it done?  Can he work with his coaching selection?  How do they mold the staff and roster together?

Is there a tipping point in which Taylor overcomes Tobin in favor from Blackburn’s? 

What would cause them to look for a new GM? 

Gone are the days of owner trying to be father/football guy and holding onto coaches players because loyalty.

None of these hires seem to be Mike Brown influenced at all.   How much of it is Tobin? 

All this should have happened in 1998 after Pickens acted out and carrying a “New Dey” into a new stadium.   20 years late and slowly they’ve gotten there. 

Pretty fair assessment

I would be good with a switch to the 3-4 and have been advocating that.

I also believe we have personnel that fit that scheme better and will allow for more talent to find the field.
Getting both Hubbard and Lawson on the field together with Geno and Dunlap is a win win to me from a pass rush perspective.
We would need to draft LB early (first 4 rounds) twice in my opinion.  That and address in free agency.

That doesn't strike me as a problem, as we would need to do that regardless of scheme.

Probably need to look into it more, but the change to the base defense actually reduces their need for LB's I think.  Lawson and Hubbard are pretty flexible as edge/outside guys that can cover, as is Dunlap, just need a stud MLB.  

Billings and Geno are obviously solid interior DT's, so there's definitely a core there they can work with.

who knows in this world of Star Wars football.

i think you need length of the edges of a pass rush to block quick throw passing lanes.  This seems to be a trend.

IMO, Lbs are just hybrid safeties.   Need guys to operate in a zone fluidly and then run and tackle.

If going 3-4 you definitely will need. 2-gap NT to Control A Gaps.   Probably a Rey Malaluga type LB to eat blockers. 

Grantham wasn’t popular at Georgia by the time he left.  Used to call him “3rd and Grantham” Florida seems to like him.   Louisville was excited to get him as well not sure how that worked out.

Aside from personnel the defense last year played soft.  Horrible tackling all year. So whatever scheme the new D- Coord will need to turn that around.

What about Marvin Lewis as D-Coord? Lol. 

Use to be the Bengals were used by free agent players to garner a better deal elsewhere.

Now college coordinators are just saying NO to go back to the same deal where they came from.

Not that I really care all that much, because I always kind of thought he'd hire the dude from the Rams.
That being said, it's really not a good look for our new coach.

Grantham was a tough target, period.  Impressive they got 2 interviews, IMO.

He’s been at Georgia and Florida.  Paid very well.  Sits in the nations biggest high school talent pool.   SEC fans know him.  

It would be hard sell for any NFL team to pull a coach from SEC for same title.  

Probably used Bengals to further his stature and contract status. 

Would anyone leave Florida for same title and similar money?  He has access to a lot  5 star high school defenders.  NFL is tougher   lower profile job. 

• Like 1

The Bengals' don't pay Coordinators well, that's been reported recently (most were unhappy with their pay here).

Don't know if that's the issue ultimately or not, am guessing it's just part of it.

Grantham was reportedly going to be a tough hire any ways - the Bengals' are not an org that is known for pulling talent away from other teams.

If Grantham agreed to a 2nd interview, you start to wonder if indeed it was a $$ issue.

I suppose I'm glad that Taylor "seems" to be very keen on finding the right fit at DC, I hope it pans out that way.  Just wonder at what point he'll have to get sort of desperate.  My guess is we're looking at an NFL defensive assistant somewhere who has been passed-over in the past (like Marvin was).  You're not going to get top/high profile candidates to come here.

$$$$ is all relative.    Grantham was already making more than most D-Coordinators in the NFL.

So yeah it could be $$$$ issue if he wanted Wade Philips dollars to leave Florida. 

I dunno if he’s worth that. 

Grantham can now boast to recruits he’s got NFL contacts to get them to the league or use it in his negotiations with Florida. 

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Use to be the Bengals were used by free agent players to garner a better deal elsewhere.

Now college coordinators are just saying NO to go back to the same deal where they came from.

Not that I really care all that much, because I always kind of thought he'd hire the dude from the Rams.
That being said, it's really not a good look for our new coach.

Sounds like hos deal was improved 1.8 million. And runs to 2022

So Jack Del Rio wanted the job and Taylor didn't want him then. 

I know some here didn't want him but I always liked his defenses like the one he had in Denver.

I thought would have been a great fit a vet ex coach with a young Taylor. Too bad Taylor didn't like that.

Aaron Glen over Del Rio not sure about all of this.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches