Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

10 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Being reported by Fox 19 source, search nearing the end.  Outside, offensive focused candidate. 

http://www.fox19.com/2019/01/09/source-bengals-looking-outside-hire-with-offensive-background/

I just read it, the candidate supposedly did not spend last season with the Bengals, so no Lazor, Hue, or Simmons.  Offensive background eliminates Vance Joseph.  I'm hoping for Monken.

There were 8 open HC jobs.  I figured we'd be last to fill ours.  There are 3 left, but now I think we'll get it done before Miami does.  

Matt LeFleur, Kliff Kingsbury, Bruce Arians, Freddie Kitchens, and Vic Fangio, welcome to your new NFL jobs!  Enjoy getting fired in 3 years.  

Monken would be my guess, especially if he's not in high demand, as other teams are quickly filling their positions.

I kind of like Taylor, but think he'd be foolish to take the job here as he's still very young.

They're prob better-off with an older candidate who may not get another chance, like Marvin was, so Monken makes sense.  

Bienemy - maybe.  Seems light on high level coaching experience and not sure what kind of staff he could put together, so I'd guess he'd be #2, or Waldron.

5 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I just view it from my own experience and those I talk with.   IMO, angry fans are dudes that were young and remember the Super Bowl years and had money to buy tickets during the suck-ass 90s.

By in large these people are not going to do anything on the basis of a head coach hire, IMO currently.   That’s what I mean when I say angry fans don’t matter. 

They’ve burnt us out.  We did that before. 

The generations below me don’t care.  They’ll go when it’s good and not until then.    I’ll do the same.

They hire Hue or Mcarthy and  I’m not calling up ticket office.    If the season gets interesting, weather looks good and prices aren’t crazy.   I’ll go down to the Jungle.  

If not, I’ll watch in TV. 

Cycle will continue until build their brand with a younger and new base.    

Passion for this team is dead.  Fuck this franchise. 

Good points indeed.

Vance was a QB in college, lol.

I would like Bieniemy.   1) he was a star in my favorite Christmas Eve miracle comeback against the Vikings.   2) at ground breaking ceremony for Paul Brown Stadium, I accidentally backed into him and I turned around and thought it was a little teenager.   It wasn’t until he grabbed my hat and signed it, I realized it was #21 EB. 

He offensive minded too.   

20 minutes ago, COB said:

Adam Gace to the Jets.  Really.  

Typical Jets. 

Monken just looks like one of the Brown family, goofy and awkward, has a connection to Marvin via his former college coach, is 52, would assume he'd be an easy hire.  Just seems too obvious.

I'd be pretty surprised (but not unhappy) if Bienemy was their guy.   I'd be concerned with finding a DC and not sure who Monken could attract.   I wonder if Bienemy could get Joseph as a DC, which I wouldn't mind a bit.  Only because they both have connections with the Bengals and a history here.  I'd also think Bienemy might need some senior mentor types, Monken not so much.  

Having a (good) former Bengal as a HC is appealing.  Will understand the pain.

Also good points about Bieniemy and Monken’s age and how things are viewed. They say it’s an outside hire, so at least there’s that.

One thing about Bieniemy is how much credit goes to him and how much goes to what craziness Mahomes has been able to pull off this year. I’ve read good things about him as well from Andy Reid, so there’s that.

I'd be curious to see what Bieniemy could get from Ross as well. 
Seeing as he's the wannabe Tyreek Hill, maybe he can impart some wisdom and confidence in a player we need to thrive in our offense.
Here's a quick video I saw from the Chiefs training camp last year.  Interesting 3 minutes of time.  I'm warming up to him as the choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2Zi7Rb_Z4

• Like 2

Bieneiemy was my first choice hope all along, so fingers crossed that it is trending that way. Monken was my second choice. All sign pointing to it NOT being Hue or any other in-house option, so as long as Bieneimy or Monken (or the Rams guy) I will be pretty damn happy. This organization needs fresh eyes in the worst sort of way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'd be curious to see what Bieniemy could get from Ross as well. 
Seeing as he's the wannabe Tyreek Hill, maybe he can impart some wisdom and confidence in a player we need to thrive in our offense.
Here's a quick video I saw from the Chiefs training camp last year.  Interesting 3 minutes of time.  I'm warming up to him as the choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2Zi7Rb_Z4

Thanks for the heads up on that!

40 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would guess they will give the new HC the opportunity to pick his coordinators, but that hasn't always been the case in the past either.

I just wish they would get moving to that can be hammered out, as other coaches are looking for the same thing.  No need for slim pickin's...

My guess is the next coach is coaching this weekend and can't make the call yet.

Monken has "moved on" to interviewing for OC positions per PFT.  Interesting updates along with the above note of assistants being released.  If Monken is still doing that, I have to doubt he's their "target" at this point.

If they're waiting for the weekend games to be over with, starting to think/wonder if it is indeed Bienemy or Waldron/Taylor now.  I really don't know who else they've interviewed outside the org, that's left.

• Like 1

Yep: 

I guess I'm a bit surprised that whomever this HC is, that they already know assistants who want to come along? That or one of the requirements of accepting the job is that they can pick their own staff and it definitely won't include the current staff (I'm good with that either way).

It seems odd a guy like Bienemy, Waldron or Taylor would have a posse ready to go - weird.  As far as I know, those are the only 3 they've reportedly interviewed from outside the org.  Eh, my guess is we won't hear anything until Monday, but who knows.

Edit: Shouldn't forget Joseph's still in-play technically (although he's still interviewing for DC positions - which makes me think he's not)

Bieneimy has been coaching a long time, makes sense that he has guys on speed dial that he may have already spoken to who are ready to come along.  I REALLY hope it is Bieneimy. That would buy so much good will with me. 

According to the info passed on from the talking box is..... that it is customary for an interviewed head coach candidate to have staffing ideas ready to present during the Interview phase.

My assumption is these candidates have people or agents working for them and they know if they can expect interviews and probably work on staffing if it happens.  

Not sure if that's true guess will find out soon.

would love EB as head coach, with Taylor as his OC!

Only concern I have is whatever HC they hire I just hope the guys he wants coaching with him are still there. Bengals should start hiring guys now that he wants to make sure they are here.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches