Marvin Fired - New Coaches

JaxonFord

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

dont understand the desire to interview anyone from Tampa Bay

Mankon is reportedly an offensive guru of sorts that is viewed as a future HC.  His passing game is top notch (#1 last year in yards/game) but nothing about his running game is impressive in the least (one of the worst). 

So yeah not sure he's an ideal candidate. Magic Fitz recommends him for what that's worth.

Based on media and fan message boards a lot of Bengal Nation wants the next coach to signify “change” at the start of their journey.

Hue, Vance and any other staff or former staff says Marvin Lewis to many.

Except for Zimmer.  

I would have loved McDaniels because he would have created buzz.  Which is what I need to revive my passion for the Bengals.

However a lot of former Patriot assistants fail once they leave the mothership. 

Tampa bay guy?  Yeah that was an explosive offense with no a whole lot of names on that side.   Certainly gives off a feeling he got the most of the talent.  

Something it seems we haven’t done on offense for a while. 

11 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Didn't want McDaniels anyways so I'm good with that. He seems like a screw ball and didn't think he did that great in Denver anyways!

Agreed.  Belichick is an amazing coach.  I think his assistants owe a ton of their success to him, and their performance once they leave New England supports that.  McDaniels may prove me wrong, but I wasn't excited about having him here.  

He's interviewing for the Green Bay job, maybe he feels Rodgers has more left than Brady. 

1 hour ago, COB said:

Agreed.  Belichick is an amazing coach.  I think his assistants owe a ton of their success to him, and their performance once they leave New England supports that.  McDaniels may prove me wrong, but I wasn't excited about having him here.  

He's interviewing for the Green Bay job, maybe he feels Rodgers has more left than Brady. 

He wants the easy way out, he wants the team with a proven QB who maybe one of the best.

This team needs a coach who wants a challenge! They need somebody who is not going to put up with guys shit, and who is not going to let the players run the team!

I'm going to guess Taylor or Mankon.  Both pretty green, won't shy away from the challenge of working for Mike.  

From Mike's perspective, I'm guessing he'll go for a clean break from Marvin Ball.  He has limited time.  I think he knows what he'll get with Marvin 2.0, ie Hue, Simmons, or Vance.   

Mike's best chance for a very quick culture change and Super Bowl is not a steady, stay the course, type of coach.  His best chance is a scheme meister, someone who can potentially create an overwhelming offense in a couple years and make a run.  I think he'll roll the dice.   

Ex Bengal Eric Bienemy reportedly going to interview with Bengals on Friday - currently Kansas's OC

5 hours ago, volcom69 said:

He wants the easy way out, he wants the team with a proven QB who maybe one of the best.

This team needs a coach who wants a challenge! They need somebody who is not going to put up with guys shit, and who is not going to let the players run the team!

While that's true (the situation here requires a truly hungry coach who can work successfully with limited resources and some of the worst facilities in the NFL, in addition to the worst owner),  I'm not going to pound on any coach who rejects the Bengals' because I completely understand why a coach who's used to winning SB's (or competing for them) wouldn't want to put up with the nonsense here, where the high bar is "being competitive." 

The Bengals' are a hard sell for anyone, they usually end-up settling for a guy who has been passed over or wasn't getting enough interest from other teams.

The only way someone takes this franchise to a SB again, is if they drag Mike Brown kicking and screaming all the way.  Marvin really wasn't willing to do that ultimately, choosing to pick and choose his battles instead, and work safely within the given parameters here.

I don't know why you guys are acting like rejected prom dates over McDaniels' - he's not stupid, Coughlin ultimately did the same thing, these guys aren't looking to build a resume, they don't need to settle for jobs that limit their success.

Disagree.   The last time the coach search went on both other candidates landed head coaching job elsewhere.

The Bengals have great weight room and facilities since Marvin.  Their weight room was ranked by some body building mag as top 10.  New cafeteria and indoor training area has been rated highly too. 

Marvin had rosters considered top of the league and choked them away. 

Coughlin wanted the job.  

McDaniels turned down the Colts and luck and was fired like Vance Joseph from Broncos. 

Bengals are in a much better position this time around and have proven to be able to build rosters to make the playoffs.

Coaching candidates aren’t jaded blind fans. 

They had no problem recruiting what most thought to be a top line coach last year.

They have had no problem grabbing top coordinators that have been good enough to move on to head coaching jobs.

Zimmer was after head coaching jobs prior to  being a Bengal coach. 

Gruden was a head coach in another league and in no case was desperate.

Hue, lol, clearly in demand from Cincy days he landed two HC jobs

Vance we had to block and of  course eventually ended up HC.

That doesn’t strike me as an organization that struggles to attract coaching talent. 

45 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Disagree.   The last time the coach search went on both other candidates landed head coaching job elsewhere.

The Bengals have great weight room and facilities since Marvin.  Their weight room was ranked by some body building mag as top 10.  New cafeteria and indoor training area has been rated highly too. 

Marvin had rosters considered top of the league and choked them away. 

Coughlin wanted the job.  

McDaniels turned down the Colts and luck and was fired like Vance Joseph from Broncos. 

Bengals are in a much better position this time around and have proven to be able to build rosters to make the playoffs.

Coaching candidates aren’t jaded blind fans. 

Coughlin "wanted" the job if they met his demands, the Bengals' didn't do it, so he didn't "want it" technically.  Not sure that's debatable, and from what I remember the Bengals' were very interested in him before he declined. And oh, it was due to his reported demands over upgrading the facilities, including more video equipment, an indoor facility etc..,  (only some of that has changed).

Like I said, Marvin picked his battles, he may have gotten a new weight room, but he didn't force the indoor practice facility, or double the scouting staff (got some modest additions there at least), he changed smaller things, like giving players towels after games (that was seriously an issue, do not forget who Mike Brown is and always has been).  

Coaches know what they're getting into here now, the ones with more appealing options (for whatever reason they have) are going to pass.  I don't care much about McDaniels, I just snicker when  a high profile candidate declines, it's fine, I expect it.  It's a better situation now than it was in 2002, sure, but they're not going to "out-bid" or "compete" for anyone that would probably take a HC'ing  job anywhere else if they could, for the most part.   They'll have more to work with in most other cities, if not all, in terms of support and flexibility.

The roster shouldn't scare them off much, it's the ownership, as always.  

I don’t like McDaniels. It has nothing to do with him rejecting this position. If I were a coach and the Bengals came knocking, I would tell them to get fucked.

McDaniels is a pompous prick who has benefitted from being around the greatest head coach and quarterback of all time. When he had a chance he failed. When given another chance, he turned his back.

He’s a bitch...

8 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Coughlin "wanted" the job if they met his demands, the Bengals' didn't do it, so he didn't "want it" technically.  Not sure that's debatable, and from what I remember the Bengals' were very interested in him before he declined. And oh, it was due to his reported demands over upgrading the facilities, including more video equipment, an indoor facility etc..,  (only some of that has changed).

Like I said, Marvin picked his battles, he may have gotten a new weight room, but he didn't force the indoor practice facility, or double the scouting staff (got some modest additions there at least), he changed smaller things, like giving players towels after games (that was seriously an issue, do not forget who Mike Brown is and always has been).  

Coaches know what they're getting into here now, the ones with more appealing options (for whatever reason they have) are going to pass.  I don't care much about McDaniels, I just snicker when  a high profile candidate declines, it's fine, I expect it.  It's a better situation now than it was in 2002, sure, but they're not going to "out-bid" or "compete" for anyone that would probably take a HC'ing  job anywhere else if they could, for the most part.   They'll have more to work with in most other cities, if not all, in terms of support and flexibility.

The roster shouldn't scare them off much, it's the ownership, as always.  

It’s all debatable to a point.  Point being Coughlin was a finalist along with Marvin and Mularkey.   All 3 were head coaches afterward.   With Katie wanting Marv and Mike wanting Coughlin. 

A lot of changes were made with Marvin and I’ve seen nothing that says they are going to undo that.

The indoor facility criticism from fans was misplaced for years as we recently found out.  Their agreement with the county had to be changed to allow for changes to property they don’t own an weren’t being sold. 

It remains to be seen if they pursue quickly because what they did underneath PBS is top of the line. 

That was one of my biggest complaints as a former season ticket holder.  The team related areas of PBS are first class.   The fan areas have become a boring dump.

I don’t see how you come to a conclusion they can’t compete for a coach when they have with assistant coaches as early as a year go with Pollack.    There are plenty of examples of our coaches being in demand. 

The last time the job was open 2 finalists that didn’t get the job became head coaches.

i just don’t think your perspective is reality.

They are in a much better situation today and in 2002 they turned down an eventual Super Bowl winner.

Just watched Marvin,s presser after he was fired.  He talked about telling the players, thanked Mike and the family. 

Two things I noticed.  First, he didn’t seem the least bit upset or out of sorts in any way.  He smiled a lot.  In no way did he seem to me like a guy who just got fired.  Second, an odd thing I noticed.  Marvin, as do all coaches, always wore Bengals gear.  Every shirt, sweatshirt, fleece, etc, had the Bengals logo somewhere on it.  At the presser, he was no longer employed by the Bengals, and he was wearing a wind shirt with the insignia of the Long Cove Club, a golf course in South Carolina.  

1 hour ago, COB said:

Just watched Marvin,s presser after he was fired.  He talked about telling the players, thanked Mike and the family. 

Two things I noticed.  First, he didn’t seem the least bit upset or out of sorts in any way.  He smiled a lot.  In no way did he seem to me like a guy who just got fired.  Second, an odd thing I noticed.  Marvin, as do all coaches, always wore Bengals gear.  Every shirt, sweatshirt, fleece, etc, had the Bengals logo somewhere on it.  At the presser, he was no longer employed by the Bengals, and he was wearing a wind shirt with the insignia of the Long Cove Club, a golf course in South Carolina.  

It's because he was never fired, he choose his destiny and he choose to leave.

Im sure he was happy because he was done, he was done last year, but Mike begged him to stay. He had no desire to coach this year, and it showed.

Look back when Marvin first became coach the desire he had the excitement in his voice and cheers, well that was long gone. Mike Brown and all these years took a toll on the guy. 

He should have left last year, Mike should have let him go!

• Like 1

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Marvin Fired - New Coaches