Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

I remember when Marvin first got here, there were so many guys leaving, Marvin and the Bengals were active in free agency(not that anyone great was signed),but he realized the team was not good.

What I find funny are the bengals were a terrible team, but yet they keep wanting to keep there own guys like they were great. I don't get it start over with some new blood, get rid of these guys who are nothing. 

Why is Burfict still on this team wish someone could answer that one!!

I see teams like the Chiefs who were close to the super bowl getting rid of pro bowl players for new guys. Signing guys who fit there system. Bengals nope they continue to sign there own guys, who played like shit!

Well the Bengals as of now have taken the fun out of football again. 

Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray had his pro day on Wednesday, and some NFL heavyweights — including New York Giants head coach Pat Shurmur and new Cincinnati Bengals coach Zac Taylor — showed up to watch the possible No. 1 pick in the draft throw footballs.

Looks like Taylor is pretty interested in QB's.

our HC watching Kyler Murray throw in Oklahoma?  Is he even likely to be available when we pick at 11?  Kind of strange, unless he’s either watching someone else or we’re considering trading up a bit to get a crack at him.  QBs on rookie deals are a great thing in this league.

5 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I remember when Marvin first got here, there were so many guys leaving, Marvin and the Bengals were active in free agency(not that anyone great was signed),but he realized the team was not good.

What I find funny are the bengals were a terrible team, but yet they keep wanting to keep there own guys like they were great. I don't get it start over with some new blood, get rid of these guys who are nothing. 

Why is Burfict still on this team wish someone could answer that one!!

I see teams like the Chiefs who were close to the super bowl getting rid of pro bowl players for new guys. Signing guys who fit there system. Bengals nope they continue to sign there own guys, who played like shit!

Well the Bengals as of now have taken the fun out of football again. 

It's gotten kind of bizarre.   Over-paying Shawn Williams is another example.  Signing the stars is easy, it's these other personnel moves they make that sink them.  They are just not a smart franchise, held back by a bad owner who's philosophy is out-dated and ignorant.

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Oklahoma is a football factory.  You can scout Murray.  You can scout the guys catching.  Get feed back on other guys from coaches all in the same trip. 

Sure.  Diligence with all of the top candidate's and/or their schools.  Awful lot of QB attention though, when any other year they wouldn't bother much with the top QB's.  

9 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

This is the big takeaway and why I thought this year might be different when it came to the front office.
They wanted the next Sean McVay, but did not approach things the same way.  I sure hope they don't expect playoffs in 2019.
To this point they have not improved any aspect of the team, let alone find an impact player.

The new scent of change has quickly faded from my nostrils.

I remember COB and I making a joke about what if Marv had gotten all the guys he wanted in FA ( Whit, Zeitler ) especially on the line...

And you see.  It’s not a funny joke at all.

Because Taylor isn’t getting his guys either obviously.  

Yeah... I bet Jim Turner and others really wanted Bobby Hart.  That’s just what you Have To Say as a coach, when you’ve lost the negotiation with the Brown family over player and contracts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GapControl said:

I remember COB and I making a joke about what if Marv had gotten all the guys he wanted in FA ( Whit, Zeitler ) especially on the line...

And you see.  It’s not a funny joke at all.

Because Taylor isn’t getting his guys either obviously.  

Yeah... I bet Jim Turner and others really wanted Bobby Hart.  That’s just what you Have To Say as a coach, when you’ve lost the negotiation with the Brown family over player and contracts.

Yea it makes you wonder a lot about things. As much as I wanted Marvin gone, i still think he was not the main problem. I'm still waiting for his interview saying how he was promised all of this but never got it.

The interview with Palmer made a lot of things clear, Mike Brown promises a lot of things but never does as he says. 

Who knows if Turner wanted Hart or Brown did. Like I said before he is young I don't mind the signing, but what I do mind is how much they gave him. He comes in on a 1 year deal proves nothing and gets a huge raise. It makes no sense, when there were better options to sign. I would have kept him as a backup and payed him backup money.

The o-line has been an issue now for awhile, and this your solution, dosnt sound like a winning formula to me!  

Has no one else read the write up Whitworth's wife gave about how he ended up in LA ??

Here, I found it.
https://readlola.com/2019/03/our-journey-from-la-to-l-a/

Read it for yourself and try not to get sickened by the decision made by the front office and how it all went down.
I really do hate the Bengals front office.  They make being a fan much harder than it should be.

35 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Put the tin foil hat away.  Not worth the outrage.

Hart signed a one year prove it contract at his market value and the bengals have little risk going forward and two additional years if they choose. 

I get what you are saying.  But wasn’t Hart on a prove it year last year?  Also, our good linebacker was on a prove it deal, proved he could get hurt and miss most of the season, and we just signed him for 3 years.  

Prove it deals with the Bengals mean something different than other places.

unrelated - the Bengals are having free agent guard John Miller in for a visit.  3rd rounder in 2015 for the Bills, started there most of last year.

13 minutes ago, COB said:

Great move to bring that Bills guard in.  They need to pursue vet free agent o linemen.  Rookie o linemen take a while to get up to speed, we need vets who can play now.

Not sure, but Bills fans seem to be happy in that the Bengals would be taking someone off their hands that was benched for sucking so much.

1 hour ago, COB said:

I get what you are saying.  But wasn’t Hart on a prove it year last year?  Also, our good linebacker was on a prove it deal, proved he could get hurt and miss most of the season, and we just signed him for 3 years.  

Prove it deals with the Bengals mean something different than other places.

unrelated - the Bengals are having free agent guard John Miller in for a visit.  3rd rounder in 2015 for the Bills, started there most of last year.

By my recollection they had 4 tackles on the 53 opening day. 

Prior to Hart deal and the drama they would have had 1 guy of that 4 remaining. 

Now they have 2.  

2 spots are open and it is now fact that fringe starters and experienced back ups cost you 4/5/6 mil in cap room.

I can understand the initial reaction but it’s really not that big of deal like most of the time.  Twitter is trash.  

My hope is that as the bengals start to evaluate the 2nd level free agents, our new coach will be able to more accurately sift through these guys.

Marvin had certain things he was looking for (will this guy be loyal to me no matter what) and maybe our much younger head coach will be closer in age, and just more in tune with the culture and today’s modern athlete.  Marvin wasn’t that great at figuring this shit out near the end of his tenure.

4 hours ago, COB said:

Your mom got benched for sucking so much.

I left home at 19 (back when I knew everything) and rarely came back before she passed away.
I suppose it's possible, but I never had the chance to discuss such things.

That being said, I laughed at loud when I read your response.
Nicely done my friend !!!

• Thanks 1

My hope is they hire the o-line help, draft the LB.  I have more faith in a rookie LB to read/react and make plays than I do a rookie o-linemen.  

Even nfl vet o-linemen are having trouble playing o-line right now.  The league has just evolved that way.